Author Topic: *Gulp*! AppleScript version of BD$ tag?  (Read 6055 times)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
*Gulp*! AppleScript version of BD$ tag?
« on: February 21, 2012, 12:05:06 AM »
Dear WeatherCat fans,

Gulp!!  I'm in real trouble now . . . .  :-[

Thanks to some stimulus from WeatherBug . .   ::), I'm starting the rewrite WC Web Data Uploader.  This reminded me that I thought I had asked Stu about an AppleScript version of the BD$ tag. 

So . . . . . did I actually ask for it or not?  ???

Well, searching the forum I find: http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=18.msg194#msg194 which says in part:

. . . . . . . .

Stu could you add AppleScript access to the WeatherCat identifier?  Basically an AppleScript equivalent to the web tag: BD$?

. . . . . . . . .

Hope it isn't too much to ask.

The trouble here is . . . . there is a reply . . . from Stu . . .

Added to the todo list - if it's not mentioned in the next release notes, give me a kick :)

Well Stu . . . . if you really want a kick - forget'it!!!

However, would a humble reminder do?  [bounce]

Thanks for all the hard work Stu!!! [rockon]

Cheers Edouard  [cheers1]

P.S. In the meantime, what is the identifier that WeatherCat is sending to places like CWOP?  Can you use something as short as WC for something like UK Met Office?

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
Re: *Gulp*! AppleScript version of BD$ tag?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 04:46:42 PM »
Arrgggh - sorry Edouard - missed this. What's easier for you - a string (i.e. something like WeatherCat090B17) or a number - i.e. 90?

Cheers,
Stu.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
What string are you sending to Wunderground and CWOP? (Re: BD$ tag?)
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 10:15:26 PM »
Howdy Stu and WeatherCat fans,

Arrgggh - sorry Edouard - missed this.

As they say down under: no worries!

What's easier for you - a string (i.e. something like WeatherCat090B17) or a number - i.e. 90?

Of course AppleScript is happy with either.  However, what I was hoping to do is replicate what you were sending to Weather Underground and CWOP for consistency sake. 

At this point though - the plot thickens . . . . . . . .   On the current Beta, I see that to Weather Underground you are identifying WeatherCat with:

• WeatherCatV0.91B17

But to CWOP WeatherCat is identified as:

• L000WeatherCatV91B17

Are they supposed to be the same?  My goal was to simply be as consistent as possible in the AppleScripts when identifying WeatherCat to upload services.  That way if "bean counters" decide to check upload strings to tally what is the most popular Mac weather software, they would find the same identification string for WeatherCat no matter which upload service they checked for popularity.

So definitely no biggie, but it might help in WeatherCat's popularity ratings eventually.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 10:24:06 PM »
I'll output the same as Wunderground - the CWOP one is slightly compressed.

Cheers,
Stu.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Sounds good and CWOP "opinion." (Re: AppleScript BD$ tag?)
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 11:57:20 PM »

I'll output the same as Wunderground

Okie dookie!!  [bounce]

When you've got it ready - I have just the spot for it in WC Web Data Uploader.

- the CWOP one is slightly compressed.

FYI: at least my station is listed as:Unknown station type/software: L000WeatherCatV91B17 on my CWOP information page: http://weather.gladstonefamily.net/site/d3835.  I'm assuming that this is part of the cloak and dagger stuff and "no adjustment of my TV set is necessary."  If that isn't what you expected Stu . . . well it tis there!  :o

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 08:12:52 PM »
Yep, they don't know about it yet - it's just being decoded as unknown.

Cheers,
Stu.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Just wondered about the 'L000' prefix (Re: BD$ tag?)
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 09:05:49 PM »

Yep, they don't know about it yet - it's just being decoded as unknown.

Okie Dookie.  [bounce]  That is what I would have assumed.  I was just a little puzzled by the L000 prefix to the L000WeatherCatV91B17 string.  I was wondering if this was somehow an obtuse reference to LWC.

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 10:09:09 PM »
No, it's the luminosity - I'm guessing their name decoder predates the luminosity data.

Cheers,
Stu.

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 10:35:18 AM »
Update:
This is present in version 0.9.2 onwards (WCIdentifier).

Cheers,
Stu.

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, 01:40:26 PM »
I'm not sure if I'm reading the above conversation correctly, but it sounds as if this should work OK as of 0.92? It isn't, though. CWOP still doesn't know the station type:

Unknown station type/software: L000WeatherCatV92B35

[EDIT} Oh, neither did LWC. I checked other CWOP stations, and WeatherLink, WeatherSnoop, Weather Display, and Virtual Weather Stations show the hardware:

Station type/software: Davis Vantage Pro 2/Vue with Weatherlink-IP

(Oddly, flipping through the CWOP stations above my own 8454, I find that 8455 uses LWC, 8456 and a couple more use Weather Snoop, and 8473 in Australia us using WeatherCat! That's a good percentage of Mac users for the few I looked at!)
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2012, 02:22:22 PM »
Hi Steve,

This is an addition to the AppleScript interface (so it can be passed on to other services for example).

Cheers,
Stu.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Tested and put to work! (Re: AppleScript BD$ tag?)
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2012, 04:07:53 PM »

This is present in version 0.9.2 onwards (WCIdentifier).

I put WCIdentifier through its paces and it works perfectly!  [bounce]

It is now incorporated into the WC Web Data Uploader script that will take over the job of uploading to UK Met Office, PWS Weather, and WeatherBug.

Thanks Stu!!  [tup]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Services dunna know about da' Cat! (Re: BD$ tag?)
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2012, 04:15:28 PM »
Hi Steve and WeatherCatters,  [cat]

I'm not sure if I'm reading the above conversation correctly, but it sounds as if this should work OK as of 0.92? It isn't, though. CWOP still doesn't know the station type:

Unknown station type/software: L000WeatherCatV92B35

I think that the CWOP folks need to be informed about WeatherCat.  If they don't have the software as one of their known types, perhaps they can't decode the associated hardware info.

Oddly, flipping through the CWOP stations above my own 8454, I find that 8455 uses LWC, 8456 and a couple more use Weather Snoop, and 8473 in Australia us using WeatherCat! That's a good percentage of Mac users for the few I looked at!)

Always good to see Macs doing good work!!  [computer]

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2012, 10:44:22 PM »
Quick update to close this one - version 0.9.2 closes the AppleScript addition, version 0.9.3 onwards sends the hardware identifier to CWOP (CWOP also updated their system to recognise WeatherCat).