Author Topic: What Do You Want To See In A Mac Weather Program?  (Read 66895 times)

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Strong Breeze
What Do You Want To See In A Mac Weather Program?
« on: February 11, 2012, 05:39:31 PM »
Hello folks,
Please use this forum to tell us what features and things you'd like to be able to do with WeatherCat in the future.

Please start a new thread for each request.

Many thanks!

PB

• Calm
    • KMESTOCK2
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2, Wireless ISS, Mac Mini, OS 10.5.8
Re: What Do You Want To See In A Mac Weather Program?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 03:44:30 PM »
iDevice integration such as the client on iPhone. Remote access to preferences such as changing internet prefs.

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
    • WU for Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless Vantage Pro 2, iMac 24"
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 10:37:35 PM »
On the Custom Graph:

1> The ability to tie two scales together, such as when tracking two temperatures, two humidities, etc...
2> In a scrolling graph, the ability to make one of the 3 series track 24 hours old, or track same date last year or just be able to track on an overlay of that period chart.
3> Mouse over live area of chart and on mouse down, display series value & time stamp at mouse position horizontal axis, perhaps with a vertical line as reference.
4> Option of a calculated display series, such as outside temp - inside temp = Temp diff as graph.
Herb

embayweather

• Strong Breeze
    • DW3656
    • lENGLAND128
    • Lancastrian Imaging
  • Station Details: Oregon WM928, Intel Mac 2.5Ghz, I5 Quad core, Met Office spec manual instruments, Cat, WD, 1-wire, Labjack, Lightning Radar
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 02:45:21 PM »
A separate box for putting custom tags in so I can see max temp, min temp and other things. Perhaps I am odd (actually I know I am odd), but it would make life a little easier for recording the data into my weather data base which I do, sorry, manually. There, I said it, I admit to having manual instruments too!.

Best wishes

Mike

plr78

• Calm
  • Station Details: VantagePro2
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 09:33:08 PM »
I am a very new user of WeatherCat and took time to discover many possibilities of this "super" software.
So it's possible my wish hereunder already exists in WeatherCat, if so please forget it...
As I use WeatherCat with a VP2 station I would appreciate to receive the "Hi Temp" and "Low Temp" in addition to "Temp Out".
This is because sometimes (often ?) minimum and/or max values are reached between two saved data.
As "Hi Temp" and "Low Temp" are data provided by VP2 it would be great to have them "readable" with WeatherCat.
Do you think this could be done ?
Thanks in advance.
Pascal

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Dear Pascal and WeatherCat fans,

As "Hi Temp" and "Low Temp" are data provided by VP2 it would be great to have them "readable" with WeatherCat.
Do you think this could be done ?
Pascal

You'll probably need to exchange some emails with the developer of WeatherCat, Stuart Ball.  However, perhaps I can facilitate the conversation a little bit.

The high and low temperature data is available within WeatherCat in a number of ways.  For example you can display it on a web page using the $STATS tag.  Can you tell us where you want to "read" the high and low temperature data?

Please to help us understand your request.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

HairyMcLeary

• Strong Breeze
    • DW5912
    • INORTHOT6
  • Station Details: LaCrosse WS2355, iMac 2.66 Ghz Core 2 Duo, 8 GB RAM, Mountain Lion
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 01:56:18 PM »
I have a feeling I'm not 100% sure I'm understanding what it is you're after ;)

Another way, apart from what Edouard has already explained, is to open the "WeatherCat Controller" from the "Tools" menu in WeatherCat, this will display today's High, low and Average temperatures as well as most other data you are likely ever to need. But I thought this was open by default in WC, so perhaps tho sin't what you are after.

Tony

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 08:16:21 PM »
Hi Pascal,
Welcome to the forum. In addition to the above, you can see hourly highs/lows in the Statistics window (Tools->Statistics then select the Daily tab) and plot hourly highs/lows/averages with custom graphs (which you can use on your web-site). If you're afraid WeatherCat will miss a high temperature, check you have Adaptive Sampling enabled in the Misc 2 preferences - this causes WeatherCat to watch the weather and record when it changes.

Hope this helps,
Stu.

plr78

• Calm
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2012, 08:34:37 PM »
Thank you for all your your feedbacks... I try to explain better with an example.

Let's consider the following case where daily minimum temperature is -12,3?C stored at 07:39 between two storages : -11,9?C at 7:30 and -12,1?C at 7:45 (15 minutes data logger interval).
In this case my experience is that WeatherCat will give as minimum temperature the value -12,1?C instead of -12,3?C.
This is because the -12,3?C value is not in the WeatherCat data base.

In the case of WheatherLink software (I would like to stop to use it) associated with my VantagePro2 station the minimum value can be calculated correctly (-12,3?C) because each data logger interval the minimum temperature (since the previous storage) is stored in addition to the instantaneous temperature.
In my example the values obtained with WeatherLink are :
07:30 ==> TempOut=-11.9 ; LowTemp=-11.9 ; HiTemp= -11.5
07:45 ==> TempOut=-12.1 ; LowTemp=-12.3 ; HiTemp= -11.9

To summarize, WheatherLink can do it simply because the two additional parameters LowTemp and HiTemp do exist in the VP2 data logger.
So if WheatherLink can get these additional parameters (LowTemp and HiTemp), WheatherCat should be able to do it.

As a brief conclusion I am sure that what WheatherLink can do WheatherCat can also do it, don't you think so ?

I addition I would say that this possibility is particularly interesting in the case you need to increase the data logger interval (say 1 hour for example) and WheatherCat disconnected (e.g. when you are not at home for a long time).

I hope my explanation is clear enough.

Thank's in advance for your help !

Pascal

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2012, 09:38:35 PM »
Hi Pascal,
I think I see what your saying - when WeatherCat downloads the data from the logger it is taking the temperature at the time of the record? When running live, it is seeing the temperature every 2 seconds and will log when it changes (assuming adaptive sampling is on).

Cheers,
Stu.

plr78

• Calm
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2012, 09:47:00 PM »
Hi Stu,
Yes exactly !
And what I'd like is WheatherCat to download also HiTemp and LowTemp...
Do you think this could be possible in next version ?
Thanks !
Pascal

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2012, 09:48:48 PM »
I've added it at the things to look at Pascal - I never make promises about what version something will appear in :)

[Edit: I'll have a look at it during the version 1.1 development Pascal]

Cheers,
Stu.

plr78

• Calm
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2012, 10:09:16 PM »
Thanks Stu for the time you took to understand this ! Pascal

plr78

• Calm
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2012, 08:19:05 AM »
It would be great if it could be possible to make an export file that we can directly read in excel (no matter the format csv or other provided each recorded data can be finally put in one excel cell, today export seems not made for this at all).
Pascal

rasarisi

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW0704
    • KCTBETHA4
    • BlueBirds Knoll
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Wireless & Vantage Vue Wirelless Console
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2012, 09:00:23 PM »
Steel Gauges!  Please