Author Topic: One more "test flight" of AppleScript before they go public?  (Read 6051 times)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
One more "test flight" of AppleScript before they go public?
« on: February 11, 2012, 07:16:42 PM »
Dear WeatherCat private beta testers,

Okay, I've gone through my AppleScripts one more time and made them as effective as they can in their "half-breed" mode.  Right now they can sill run under either LWC or WeatherCat.  My assumption is that this will be their last incarnation in this form.  Hopefully, there will be no pleas to support them on LWC anymore.  I've collected what is running on my computer right now and compressed them so that you all could make one more "test flight" before they would be inflicted on an unsuspecting public.  You can download this temporary file here:

EDIT: URL removed in preparation for public release.

I'll remove this link before the public beta of WeatherCat and provide instead links to properly documented versions then.  It might be a good idea for Stu to delete or at least hide this thread as well.

Here are the temporary release notes also included in the package:

• These AppleScripts were developed for LWC and have been adapted rather hastily to run with WeatherCat.  In order to work with WeatherCat, a copy of LWC must be installed!  The LWC application won't be run, but it is used to provide the AppleScript dictionary for both LWC and WeatherCat.  Obviously this is a temporary measure.
  • The scripts will adjust to display the correct weather software name.  However, they retain their names which prominently include the nickname: LWC.  It was impossible to correct this on such short notice because it is hard coded into many of the files used.
  • To choose which Weather Software the AppleScript will work with the file: Weather Software Identification.scpt  must contain the identifying information for the program you wish to use: LWC or WeatherCat.  To use WeatherCat, rename the file: WeatherCat Software Identification.scpt to Weather Software Identification.scpt .  To continue to use these AppleScripts with LWC rename LWC Software Identification.scpt to Weather Software Identification.scpt
  • The latest version of these AppleScripts incorporate data in the resource bundle of the AppleScript application.   In order for this to work correctly on OS-10.5 (Leopard) a different option must be selected when saving the application than is shown in the documentation.  Use the Application Bundle option as shown in the attached screenshot.
  • As can happen with the LWC Twitter Uploader script, you may need to reinstall the Twitter AppleScript libraries to make the script function again.  You can copy those libraries from your running copy of LWC Twitter Uploader or use the libraries included here.
  • The scripts have been provided with most of the default options turned off.  Including options like probing the Internet, using LWC Status Growler to indicate if the Internet is up and exporting values to the web.  If you are using these options make sure to restore your preferences.
  • In fixing the free memory unit error in LWC Status Growler, it was necessary to create a new pseudo web tag: FreeMemoryUnits$.  It will take the value of GigaBytes, MegaBytes, or in the case of your system suffering from extreme memory starvation: Kilobytes.  An updated version of the HTML template for a web-based station console: Station_console.html is included utilizing that new tag.

Please let me know what surprises you come up with - hopefully nothing serious.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 10:55:43 PM by elagache »

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
Re: One more "test flight" of AppleScript before they go public?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 01:38:28 AM »
  • In fixing the free memory unit error in LWC Status Growler, it was necessary to create a new pseudo web tag: FreeMemoryUnits$.  It will take the value of GigaBytes, MegaBytes, or in the case of your system suffering from extreme memory starvation: Kilobytes.  An updated version of the HTML template for a web-based station console: Station_console.html is included utilizing that new tag.

Please let me know what surprises you come up with - hopefully nothing serious.

Thanks Edouard,

All of the included files predated what I already had except the station console. As you know, I took the guts of the station console file and incorporated them into my station status web page. I just added your new FreeMemoryUnits$ tag instead of the "GB" text I was using. It doesn't populate, though. I searched through the Growler script and didn't find where the tag was defined. Did I miss it, or is the 1.2 b2 Growler not actually the latest?

Thanks,
Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Version numbers aren't right (Re: One more "test flight" )
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 03:17:35 AM »
Hi Steve and WeatherCat AppleScript fans,

All of the included files predated what I already had except the station console. As you know, I took the guts of the station console file and incorporated them into my station status web page. I just added your new FreeMemoryUnits$ tag instead of the "GB" text I was using. It doesn't populate, though. I searched through the Growler script and didn't find where the tag was defined. Did I miss it, or is the 1.2 b2 Growler not actually the latest?

Sorry, I guess I should have warned you'all.  The version numbers you've got are the "will become" version numbers.  I haven't been updating these since these versions aren't public.  Otherwise I would go crazy updating them.

I think the dates are wrong too.  I don't understand why but the AppleScript editor doesn't change the date of the entire bundle unless you do a "Save-As."  I suppose because it takes the date of the oldest file in the "bundle" (which is actually a folder in disquise) as the date of the folder.

So it is the opposite of appearances.  I believe every file has been changed at least a bit.  The version of LWC Status Growler included in the distribution has the code for the FreeMemoryUnits$ tag.  So you do need to use the updated script to see any changes.

Most of the differences are subtle.  Most of the time the only difference will be a replacement of WeatherCat for LWC.  I'm mostly concerned to find if something doesn't have proper punctuation or spacing.  Even if doesn't appear to be much . . . . if you go through my AppleScripts, you'll see that the word LWC occurs in the files an awful lot!!!

So if you could go ahead and use the new versions I would appreciate it!  [tup]

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 03:24:03 AM »
Okey doke. I was looking at the dates, so discarded most of them. I'll go through them tomorrow. Twitter is always fun because of the extra tags that I've added. I always seem to miss one.

Thanks,
Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 01:27:44 PM »
OK Edouard, I've got all the scripts updated and working fine. No surprises whatsoever. I am running Storm Monitor now, too, to make sure there's no problem with it. Everything is A-OK!

Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Hi Steve and WeatherCat AppleScript fans,

Okey doke. I was looking at the dates, so discarded most of them. I'll go through them tomorrow. Twitter is always fun because of the extra tags that I've added. I always seem to miss one.

Yup, *heavy sigh* the AppleScripts have most definitely outgrown the way they are configured.  It is a real hassle for me to "de-localize" my versions so that I can share them with everybody.  Then everyone has to "re-localize" them to put them back to work.

I've already decided to move the configuration settings into a separate file so that this problem won't be nearly as painful.  My first pass scheme is to use the ability of AppleScript to load the content of another AppleScript file.  So I would simply splice out the configuration information, put it in a separate file that you'all would edit with your location conditions, and then the applications would load the new settings when they start up.

Eventually, I hope to learn Xcode and actually slap on a real Mac user-interface on these AppleScripts . . . . However, at my current rate of progress . . . .  ::)

Oh well, hope is supposed to spring eternal right?  [bounce]

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 06:14:44 PM »
Thanks Edouard,

Before you release a configurator, please add these bits to the Twitter uploader. We talked about these earlier, but they got lost somewhere.

Under "set temporary variables:
set windChillf to 0

Under Tell application LWC2
set windChillf to WindChill

Under Round all values to 2-digits
tell LWChelperTools to set windChillf to roundThis(windChillf, 2)

Thanks,
Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Sorry, just added it (Re: One more "test flight")
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 06:42:01 PM »
Hi Steve and WeatherCat "Twittering types,"

Before you release a configurator, please add these bits to the Twitter uploader. We talked about these earlier, but they got lost somewhere.

Sorry, I thought I had included these.  I wonder if I did and then "lost it."  Oh well, I added it to the version that is running on my computer.  There it should stick!

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2012, 02:27:22 AM »
Thanks!
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Test fights "grounded" before public release (Re: "test flight")
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2012, 11:05:09 PM »
Howdy WeatherCat AppleScript fans,

I've been busily touching up documentation, de-localizing AppleScripts, and making packages of my AppleScripts in preparation for the public debut of da' Cat.   [cat]  So the time has come to freeze the code (bugs and all ).  I removed the link to these temporary versions and removed the package file from my hosting provider.  So if somebody finds yet another bug . . . . congratulations!  You can keep it!  [lol]  Unless it is a threat to stability of the universe  :o , I'll stick with what I've got.

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2012, 05:07:39 PM »
Good idea Edouard. Provisionally aiming for this weekend.

Cheers,
Stu.