Author Topic: FYI: Suggestions to reduce Yosemite memory leaks.  (Read 6129 times)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
FYI: Suggestions to reduce Yosemite memory leaks.
« on: November 14, 2014, 09:17:34 PM »
Dear WeatherCat "bleeding edgers" . . . . .

This morning in frustration, I typed "Yosemite memory leaks" into Google and found this page on the Apple Support Forums:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6623697

It describes a rather protracted recipe to reduce memory leaks and CPU issues with Yosemite.  I'm winterizing a car today and can't take the time to do this right now, but I thought I would point it out for anyone else that is really suffering.  Since I haven't tried it out yet, I have no direct experience with the procedure, but people responding to the thread report it does help.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Mtn.Marty

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW4707
    • KNCASHEV25
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Vue
Re: FYI: Suggestions to reduce Yosemite memory leaks.
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 09:32:00 PM »
I tried that very procedure Edouard and with only limited success. First of all, it's difficult and you better have lots of time to do it. I don't know if I waited long enough for the machine to fully shut down each time. What's frustrating to me is that Yosemite was fine and stable for a couple of weeks before it started to be a complete hog. Often when I come back to the machine from a long absence, I'm down to less than 100 MB of memory left (out of 12 Gig).

Running Safari on only a few tabs does help, BTW.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Having better luck (Re: FYI: Reduce Yosemite memory leaks.)
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 09:34:49 PM »
Hi Mtn.Marty and WeatherCat sufferers of memory hogs, . . .

I tried that very procedure Edouard and with only limited success. First of all, it's difficult and you better have lots of time to do it. I don't know if I waited long enough for the machine to fully shut down each time. What's frustrating to me is that Yosemite was fine and stable for a couple of weeks before it started to be a complete hog. Often when I come back to the machine from a long absence, I'm down to less than 100 MB of memory left (out of 12 Gig).

Sorry to hear that you aren't so lucky.  I managed to go through that protracted procedure between coats of tire dressing and my computer does seem to be doing better.  I have an external monitor and that appears to be a major contributor to the memory leaks.  It is too early to tell if things are really working better on my computer or not, but here is the latest graph of WeatherCat memory use:

Unlike the earlier runs of WeatherCat where clearly there was a memory leak, it appears that WeatherCat memory use is leveling off.  I won't know for sure for another day at least though.

Alas, the graph also shows that OS X resources have added a lefty 50 to 100 Mb to WeatherCat memory use in the transition from Mavericks to Yosemite.  That's just really sloppy coding on the part of the OS X team at Apple.  Definitely a disappointment. 

Oh well, . . . .

Edouard

JosBaz

• Strong Breeze
    • INBRSON2
    • Weatherstation Son en Breugel, The Netherlands
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Wireless, WeatherCat on Mac OS X 10.13.6
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 07:59:50 PM »
Hi all,

I was hesitating to upgrade my Mac Mini (running Weather [cat] + PLEX media server sw) to 10.10 after reading about the issues here.
What is the latest experience? Are things better now 10.10.1 is out? Safe to upgrade?

Many thanks,

Jos

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Better but not perfect (Re: Reduce Yosemite memory leaks.)
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 10:04:45 PM »
Dear Jos and WeatherCat system adminstrators,

I was hesitating to upgrade my Mac Mini (running Weather [cat] + PLEX media server sw) to 10.10 after reading about the issues here.
What is the latest experience?

Well, I can report that this protracted procedure seems to have reduced the memory leaks but WeatherCat memory use continues to grow slowly.  Here was the WeatherCat memory use this morning:

Compared to the memory increases before zapping the pram, the growth is much slower, but this afternoon:

WeatherCat was using another 6 Mb.

In contrast, under Mavericks, WeatherCat was usually around 450 MBs.  Here is a graph from October as an example:

Are things better now 10.10.1 is out? Safe to upgrade?

I haven't upgraded to 10.10.1 because of the complaints that a lot of the bugs that were supposed to be fixed - still aren't fixed yet.  MacInTouch hasn't reported anything disastrous with that upgrade, so I'll probably do the upgrade over the weekend sometime.

rcnz

• Gentle Breeze
    • IAUCKLAN159
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Vue Pro2, iMac (OS X 10.11.2)
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2014, 08:44:41 PM »
Thanks, Edouard.

Your plist method solved my crashes perfectly.  [tup]

Where do I find the WeatherCat Memory" pane, please?

Ta

Robin..

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Sorry, yet to be released. (Re: reduce Yosemite memory leaks.)
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2014, 10:12:01 PM »
Hi Robin and WeatherCat infomaniacs, . . . .

Where do I find the WeatherCat Memory" pane, please?

Sorry to report it is a feature of a yet to be released version of my WC Status Growler AppleScript.  I have a bunch of updates to my AppleScripts that really need to be documented and released.  However, I'm really struggling with this very strange problem I'm having with my weather station. 

http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=1434.0

Until I get my station stable, I just can't spare the time to make another release of the AppleScripts.  All I can say is stay tuned!