Author Topic: Useful resource for things Mac: MacInTouch  (Read 3042 times)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Useful resource for things Mac: MacInTouch
« on: September 24, 2014, 09:43:25 PM »
Dear WeatherCat system administrators,  [computer]

I kid around a bit about being a little . . . . . s l o w  . . . . . to upgrade . . . .

But there is method in my apparent madness.  There are people who must upgrade computers ASAP and learn things da' hard way[banghead]

One website where you are likely to learn about the nightmares others have had with Mac software is called MacInTouch:

http://www.macintouch.com/

They have been around since 1994 and act as a curious mix of forum and news source.  Whenever there is a Mac update, I make a point of waiting a few days and checking on what the folks on MacInTouch are finding.  If the worst they are reporting looks minor or unlikely, then I feel safe to upgrade.

It is a simple scheme, but wouldn't you really have someone else get the headaches instead of you? 

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: Useful resource for things Mac: MacInTouch
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 08:17:32 PM »
Herb:

You have everything except MacWorld at http://www.macworld.com/
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Only visit a few. (Re: Useful resource for things Mac: MacInTouch)
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2014, 09:42:53 PM »
Hi Herb, Blick, and WeatherCat Macophiles, (yes, it appears to be legitimate slang! )

I have a long list of Mac news sources also.  However, I've started to visit only a few sites.  Mainly Mac-Life magazine (since I subscribe) and MacWorld.  I also keep an eye on the updated Mac applications on MacUpdate.  I probably should try to cruise around more sites, but . . . . only so much time!

By the way, is there some way to get a list of newly released iOS applications somewhere?  There doesn't seem to be a website analogous to iOSUpdate.  Is there a way to get the iTunes app store to give you back a list of the applications that where updated or added in the last day?  I made a quick attempt to find such a thing but failed.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
    • WU for Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless Vantage Pro 2, iMac 24"
Re: Useful resource for things Mac: MacInTouch
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 04:55:30 AM »
Thanks Blick! True that. Haven't bookmarked MacWorld either. Used to subscribe to the print edition for many years. Just slipped through the cracks, I guess.

AFAIK, Edouard, the only way to get a list of iOS software updates is groping about in iTunes under Apps. All of the apps you've bought will be shown, plus you can isolate the ones that have updates pending. the bookmark above for iLounge does reviews and tried to be current on iOS stuff.

As far as Mac apps, a very useful tool to keep track of your installed (non Apple) apps is Mac Informer.

From their website:

Mac Informer is a great tool to keep your system always up to date. It scans your computer and finds all the applications that you have installed. Most importantly, it points out the versions of those applications. Mac Informer has an incredibly large web database with tens of thousands of applications and it always seems to know what the current version of an application is.
Herb