Author Topic: Repaving roads "California style" . . . .  (Read 9246 times)

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: Repaving roads "California style" . . . .
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2016, 01:38:25 AM »
Interesting photos. I loved the slogan of the water truck company: We get you wet.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Asphalt forecast for Tuesday! (Re: Repaving roads "California style" . . . . )
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2016, 10:39:57 PM »
Dear Weatheraardvark, Blick, and WeatherCat construction observers,

Glad you guys liked the photos.

Nothing new today.  It appears they are just doing some tweaking of the dirt and have moved on to working on another street.

However, the word is that the asphalt is supposed to arrive starting on Tuesday!

Stay tuned!

Cheers, Edouard

Sent from Panoramix using Tapatalk HD

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2016, 05:55:14 AM »
When I was a wee lad, in Scouts, trying to pass off my agriculture merit badge, when I used the word "dirt" my Uncle Vincent said, "It's soil. Dirt is what you get in your ears."

I don't know if it's true but I have always like the quote.
Blick

Weatheraardvark

• Gale
  • I hear tornado sirens, lets go climb on the roof
    • C0005
    • KIADESMI1
    • Des Moines Weather and Climate
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 Plus, Fars, Extra sensors
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2016, 03:26:40 PM »
When I was a wee lad, in Scouts, trying to pass off my agriculture merit badge, when I used the word "dirt" my Uncle Vincent said, "It's soil. Dirt is what you get in your ears."

I don't know if it's true but I have always like the quote.

You can imagine when I was also a kid, hearing "Dirty Music, Dirty Jokes, Dirty People, Digging in the Dirt,"  and not understanding  how that was different from being told to take a bath because I was dirty.   HA
Davis VP2 Plus; 24h  FARS; Extra Temp Humid sensor (2); Extra Temp Station (2);;Weatherlink IP;USB; MAC Ventura 13.3

; https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddablePage/show/8a7585dd06404bde81d5229b09f84ebb/summary

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
All quiet on da' paving front . (Re: Repaving roads "California style" . . . . )
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2016, 10:47:05 PM »
Dear Blick, Weatheraardvark, and WeatherCat remote observers of California repaving projects,

It has been a strangely quiet day.  I haven't heard any of the heavy machines even in the distance.  They might be working in an isolated valley that doesn't carry the sound, but it isn't like contractors give their guys an extra vacation day.  There was one concrete truck that rushed up our street apparently to make some additional gutters on a nearby street, but beyond that we only had the periodic visit of the truck pouring water on the dirt (soil) to keep the dust down:

Too bad I could get the guy to wash down our driveway.  There is plenty of mud I would love to get rid of and thanks to the drought, it is illegal to simply take a garden hose and just blast it away.

Just another day in "paradise"  :o . . . I guess, I suppose, I guess . . . . . .  ::)

Cheers, Edouard

P.S. Back to mounting the new license plates . . . . I hope!

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2016, 06:15:15 PM »
Keep us posted when they show back up on Tuesday.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Not concrete but definitely not just soil (Re: Repaving roads)
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2016, 11:49:12 PM »
Dear Blick and WeatherCat remote observers of California repaving projects,

Keep us posted when they show back up on Tuesday.

Yes the action won't start until Tuesday, but I do have one more curious picture to share.  Here is what the roadbed now looks like:

If you compare it to the soil just after the asphalt was removed, you'll notice that it is a much lighter shade of beige and it appears to be much harder.  In some places there appears to be sufficient cement in the mix to make the surface almost a concrete road in its own right.

I'm having a hard time imagining why they do this, but clearly the asphalt will have a stiffer foundation than just dirt would provide.  What leaves me puzzled is that this sort of mix should have greater strength in compression, but what will challenge the road is soil movement which should simply cause the soil-cement mixture to crack.  So I don't understand what's so great about this process.

Whatever the purpose, the cement has definitely cured so the time has come for asphalt!

Cheers, Edouard 

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2016, 01:30:00 AM »
I can't remember seeing any parking lot or even a building lot that is NOT treated that way around here. The dry concrete does exactly what you think it should; it solidifies the 'dirt' on which a concrete slab or parking lot is to be built. I must say that the mixing equipment that tears up the dirt on which the dry concrete has been spread are hugely dirtier than what you have posted! And it's usually good idea to stay upwind while that mixing is in progress! cough, cough, gasp, wheeze...

The reason this works on parking lots and under building slabs is that there should not be much water ever touching those areas once the top layer is applied. Using it under a roadway would be only if it is a temporary 'solution'. Roadways tend to be built to be as flexible as possible while remaining as solid as possible for as long as possible.

I've never seen it done on a city, local roadway. It simply cannot stand up to the minor freeze/thaw, high water table and heavy traffic of a highway or even a major street. I think they did this on our driveway some 18+ years ago, however, that rarely see any heavy traffic! Highways and main streets, as I said earlier, are often stripped of a couple of layers of paving and may then have the sub grade replaced. New construction always includes several layers of different sized stone to build up the the base for the final covering. Most cities around here plan on re-paving every road on a 10 year cycle. The state throws in some monies when that road is also a State or National highway.
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2016, 02:37:11 AM »
Looks like they are putting flyash down as a base before the concrete

cheers

[cheers1]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
A wee bit slower than every 10 years (Re: Repaving roads "CA style" . . . . )
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2016, 09:39:50 PM »
Dear X-Air, Randall, and WeatherCat road construction experts,

I can't remember seeing any parking lot or even a building lot that is NOT treated that way around here. The dry concrete does exactly what you think it should; it solidifies the 'dirt' on which a concrete slab or parking lot is to be built.

So is the idea roughly that it make a "form" that serves to make the asphalt more uniform?  Certainly with the ground motion in our region, that weak mix will cracked in one wet season.

Most cities around here plan on re-paving every road on a 10 year cycle.

Alas, the city of Orinda hasn't been doing that well.  There is a long time resident on this street who has never seen it paved in 70 years!!

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2016, 01:38:04 AM »
There is a long time resident on this street who has never seen it paved in 70 years!!
I'm sure that's not the poster, who shall remain anonymous, nor a reflection on a current resident who is a member of this forum. [lol]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
We have asphalt!! (Re: Repaving roads "California style" . . . . )
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2016, 12:32:24 AM »
Dear WeatherCat remote paving construction observers,

Just when all hope was nearly lost . . . . there were positive signs!  At around noon they sprayed a layer of tar against the edge of the dirt hole (I mean street to be!):

Then the dump trucks started running up and down our street.  It was a quite a caravan and apparently all the action would never reach us.  However, finally the paving machine came into view:

It has this odd hopper at the front that is loaded almost constantly by asphalt from dump trucks.  Here is the moment that asphalt was put in front of our own driveway:

Behind it of course came the typical road roller:

The paving machine of course had to make a second pass for the other side of the street:

Here is a close up of the asphalt being deposited onto the ground:

Here is a view of the newly paved street:

Finally, here is one last view of the paving machine and the road roller "heading off into the sunset!"

;)  Free at last!, Free at last!  Thank God Oh Mighty . . . . . .

Okay that might be overstating my case, but it sure will be nice to be able to get the cars back out on the road once more!

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2016, 01:03:18 AM »
Streets down at the corner are black with tar tracked from paving over a mile away. [rolleyes2] You might want to cover your street with lots of newspapers until the tar sinks in or gets covered with a non-tacky layer of dust. I'd at least put some layers of duct tape on the body behind each wheel so it doesn't end up on the paint! Leave it on too long and it will spot the paint, use too harsh a chemical and the gel-coat gets damaged. Can you get through your backyard to some neighbors on a non-newly paved street? Maybe you can rent a 'box trailer to get the Buick to a safe place for the next few weeks! [banghead]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2016, 06:52:23 AM »
Xair's post reminds me of a humorous (to me) incident from a few years go. We were living in Belfast, Northern Ireland and driving a Vauxhall Meriva. I have attached a photo I took of one page from the Meriva Owner's Manual. When I read that page in the manual, I wrote the following in my journal:

Whilst reading through the Owner?s Manual of the new Meriva, I found the following, extremely helpful guideline:

Do not park the vehicle on an easily ignitable surface. The high temperature of the exhaust system could ignite the surface.

Although I do not have an unlimited amount of time for research, I did take a few minutes to try to discover what surfaces might be easily ignitable, upon which I could park, even though I should not. I came up with paper, Styrofoam, marshmallows, plastic, C4 and napalm. The hottest thing known to man is the interior of freshly microwaved Hot Pockets?, but it is highly unlikely that anyone would ever park a Meriva on top of one. Even if they did, and the exhaust system ignited the Hot Pockets, I can?t see how a Hot Pockets bursting into flame could be any hotter than a freshly microwaved one that one attempts to ingest as soon as the handy, provided fireproof envelope is ripped free. Besides, one cannot purchase Hot Pockets in Northern Ireland, further increasing the mystery warning about parking on one.

In any case, rest assured, dear reader, that I am on the lookout for easily ignitable surfaces whenever I park this car. I don?t want to be held responsible for melting a car park by carelessly parking on acetone or hardened methane deposits.
Blick

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2016, 03:42:20 PM »
I don?t want to be held responsible for melting a car park by carelessly parking on acetone or hardened methane deposits.
And I'm positive The Queen appreciates your attention to the safety of all the islands! [tup] Despite of that 'conflict' we Yanks have always wanted only the best for our British cousins! [rockon]