Author Topic: Weather Cat version 2.4.4 MacOS Higher Sierra 10.13.3 bug  (Read 24863 times)

N4KHQ

• Gentle Breeze
    • KGADAHLO8
  • Station Details: iMac, Davis Vonage Pro
Dear N4KHQ, ELO, X-Air, and WeatherCat troubleshooters,

My mac mini runs as a household server and is awake 24/7, and no I typically don't do anything with it requiring login
 . . . .
[/quote
https://trixology.com/contact-us/

N4KHQ, you aren't running your installation of WeatherCat after logging out - are you?

Let us know what you uncover!

Cheers, Edouard
I never log out. I think I was dealing with 3 issues at the same time. Weather Underground Server issues, Loosing power on the Pro 2, and the last issues was automatic update downloading in the background. I noticed the failures always (at least the last two) had an install now dialog in  he upper right corner. I am thinking the weather station will stay up for weeks if not months like it has done in the past. Not sure if I need the never sleep app. After I am confident my personal weather station is going to stay up, I will try stopping the app and see it the PWS goes down..

N4KHQ

• Gentle Breeze
    • KGADAHLO8
Re: Weather Cat version 2.4.4 MacOS Higher Sierra 10.13.3 bug
« Reply #61 on: March 29, 2018, 01:19:34 AM »
Sorry, must have typed in front of a /Quote

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Keep us posted (Re: Weather Cat version 2.4.4 bug)
« Reply #62 on: March 29, 2018, 10:16:59 PM »
Dear N4KHQ and WeatherCat troubleshooters,

I never log out. I think I was dealing with 3 issues at the same time. Weather Underground Server issues, Loosing power on the Pro 2, and the last issues was automatic update downloading in the background. I noticed the failures always (at least the last two) had an install now dialog in  he upper right corner. I am thinking the weather station will stay up for weeks if not months like it has done in the past. Not sure if I need the never sleep app. After I am confident my personal weather station is going to stay up, I will try stopping the app and see it the PWS goes down..

It is clear that you had all 3 issues going on at the same time and that threw a monkey-wrench into the troubleshooting.  Indeed monitor the situation and let us know if indeed you have put your troubles behind you or if they return.  If you have new problems, you might check the console log as WeatherCat 2 does log errors there.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

N4KHQ

• Gentle Breeze
    • KGADAHLO8
« Reply #63 on: March 30, 2018, 02:18:48 PM »
Personal weather station (PWS) is approaching a record up time since the issue started many months ago. I am guessing I don't need Amphetamine but the app does not cause in problems so I will probably keep running the app. I am 99% sure auto update was causing the final problem. I unchecked, Automatically Check for Updates, and Automatically Download Apps Purchased in System Preferences - App Store.

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #64 on: March 30, 2018, 02:30:40 PM »
Glad to read your problems may be cured, hopefully permanently (as much as that ever happens with computers!). Sometimes "automatic" is not the best solution. I prefer to have others discover an update brings new problems. I'll gladly wait a few days/weeks, thank you very much! [rolleyes2] [lol] I'm still only running 10.12! And WC is running 10.11!!
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #65 on: March 30, 2018, 06:39:48 PM »
Something else that can help when weird stuff starts happening is creating a new preferences file for WeatherCat - if this becomes corrupt (and they sometimes do) then strange stuff can happen.

N4KHQ

• Gentle Breeze
    • KGADAHLO8
« Reply #66 on: April 01, 2018, 01:32:11 PM »
I think the Personal Weather Station powered by WC is back to normal and running flawlessly. The final issue that was stopping WC from sending information started about the time I installed Mac OS 10.13. I think 10.13 changed the auto update system app. It was set to auto download and I was usually slow on installing the downloads. I usually had a dialog in the upper right screen telling me about the update and asking to install. If I did not do the install, the dialog would come back the next days and stop WC again. It only took 4 months to resolve, I'm telling myself it has nothing to do with my age. I'm blaming it on Weather Underground server issues, and a hardware failure on the Pro 2.

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #67 on: April 01, 2018, 02:39:24 PM »
My 2 cents (keep the change). I hate that "Reminder/Notification", it is designed to confuse people into making the update. Yeah, after a couple of days it switches the wording and is even more insidious! Making updates to most third-party apps is safer than doing so with Apple's, IMHO. "Upgrading" the OS is even more prone to problems unless the user practices a lot of due diligence, back ups and app updates.

N4KHQ

• Gentle Breeze
    • KGADAHLO8
« Reply #68 on: April 07, 2018, 10:51:36 AM »
Everything was working great until the last 3 days. Now my Pro 2 console has stopped receiving data 3 times from the outside unit. WC log says error receiving and the console has dashes for the outside data. I remove power and a console battery, reapply power, step through the settings which are retained and it starts working again for about a day. The Pro 2 is 8 to 10 year old and working for now. I don't want to send in back to Davis and be down totally. I think I will order another Pro 2. Will the USB cable I'm currently using working with the new Pro 2? I think I got the cable with Weather Link software. Thanks

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #69 on: April 07, 2018, 02:51:51 PM »
I don't remember, but did you also change the battery in the outside transmitter?

I'm not aware of any changes to the USB port on the Data logger. Perhaps a new purchaser can confirm? But it's always nice to have an extra cable of any particular type. Pets do like to chew on those things! ;)

N4KHQ

• Gentle Breeze
    • KGADAHLO8
« Reply #70 on: April 07, 2018, 03:24:15 PM »
Yes new battery in the new transmitter. This problem is different, resetting the console at 4 am before sunrise will start the unit working again. Thanks for the prompt about data logger. I have a dozen usb cables. I just remember ordering a data logger and putting it behind the battery cover. The only data logger I see comes with either software for mac or software for windows. They are about $125, do I need to order a data logger and what does the software do? Thanks

N4KHQ

• Gentle Breeze
    • KGADAHLO8
« Reply #71 on: April 07, 2018, 03:37:48 PM »
The question is can you buy the data logger insert without buying Weather Link software? Thanks

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #72 on: April 07, 2018, 03:57:33 PM »
Many of us get the data loggers from retailers other than Davis. I don't think they come with the disk with the WeatherLink software. Here is a post with several dealers: Data logger clones and discount dealers (Re: Davis Instruments confused.)

That Davis software doesn't include the software used for the data logger, however. That software "simply" provides an extension/driver for the OS to use the USB connection to the logger. It comes free from SiLabs.com, just scroll down the page looking for the "Download for Macintosh OSX (v5)" section.

I didn't even know one could collect the data with a computer without a logger!

N4KHQ

• Gentle Breeze
    • KGADAHLO8
« Reply #73 on: April 07, 2018, 04:24:42 PM »
OK thank for the clone information.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Sorry to hear about your station meltdown (Re: Weather Cat bug)
« Reply #74 on: April 07, 2018, 10:44:19 PM »
Dear N4KHQ, X-Air and WeatherCat faithful,

Everything was working great until the last 3 days. Now my Pro 2 console has stopped receiving data 3 times from the outside unit. WC log says error receiving and the console has dashes for the outside data. I remove power and a console battery, reapply power, step through the settings which are retained and it starts working again for about a day. The Pro 2 is 8 to 10 year old and working for now.

Sorry to hear that you are having so many problems with your station.  If I had to guess, most likely your problem is in the console.  The sensors aren't likely to fail all at once and they don't have any sophisticated electronics.  Since the ISS electronics is brand new, the most likely cause of failure is the console.  You are certainly most unlucky to have both main electronic components fail one after the other.

I don't want to send in back to Davis and be down totally. I think I will order another Pro 2. Will the USB cable I'm currently using working with the new Pro 2? I think I got the cable with Weather Link software. Thanks

Since you are considering buying a new Davis VP-2 station, you might consider carefully collecting all your old components and sending that in to Davis to be refurbished.  That way should you have any problems in the future, you would have a complete set of spares for any component.  I've thought about this, but my setup is no longer a standard VP-2 so I'm not sure how Davis refurbishes that sort of setup.

Keep us posted on your struggles get back online.

Wishing your luck finally turns around for good!

Cheers, Edouard