Author Topic: Moving data from old computer to new computer  (Read 3917 times)

washbob

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW2394
    • KWARICHL13
  • Station Details: Vantage Vue, WeatherLinkiP
Moving data from old computer to new computer
« on: October 26, 2014, 09:26:16 PM »
On October 21, 2014, I changed computers and copied all my data files from old computer into what I believe are the correct locations on the new computer.   I've noticed that I when I check "statistics" in WeatherCat, it only shows the data from when new computer was put in operation (October 22nd) to current date and none of my old data.   I've searched, but have not found a solution from previous posts.   I'm sure it's a simple operation that I'm missing, but how do I merge the data, so when I check "statistics" it shows all my data.   Background - Old computer was iMac and new computer is iMac.   Migration assistant did not completely work properly, so I had to manually move some data to new computer.   I'm using a Davis Vantage Vue.   Thanks in advance for your assistance.

nowait

• Strong Breeze
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Wireless (Heated) on a Snow Leopard Mac Mini
Re: Moving data from old computer to new computer
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 09:39:15 PM »
I just "upgraded" from an old mac mini to a "newer" mac mini (that could run Mavricks/Yosemite) a couple of weeks ago.

I followed the instructions found at this link:
http://wiki.trixology.com/index.php/Moving_a_WeatherCat_installation_from_one_computer_to_another

If you are also upgrading Mac OS version like I was, make sure you read carefully about the location of files.

My transfer went very smoothly.  Hope your will too.

NoWait

washbob

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW2394
    • KWARICHL13
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 09:54:21 PM »
Thanks, I had read the instructions previously, but for some reason my data is not merging.   My daily reports are showing up in ~/Documents/WeatherCatReports and that is where I copied my old data files.   For some reason it only shows my daily reports for October 22-25, when I select "Statistics" from WeatherCat.   My previous 3 years of data (daily reports) does not appear, though they are in the same file location.   I'm curious if I'm missing a step.   I went from an older iMac to the new iMac with retina.   I'm also running Yosemite.   WeatherCat is running smoothly as it has in the past, but just cannot get the old data to merge with the new data, so I have a historical perspective.

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 11:18:52 PM »
I think you have the WeatherCat data files in the wrong location - the whole WeatherCatData folder needs to be the library folder of your home directory. This is hidden by default on 10.9 or later, to show it hold down the 'Option' key whilst clicking on the 'Go' menu of the Finder.

washbob

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW2394
    • KWARICHL13
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 12:01:48 AM »
According to the link the following is the location of folders:

Copy the following folders from the source computer to the target computer, placing them in exactly the same file location as on your source computer:
~/Library/WeatherCatData
~/Library/WeatherCatBackups
~/Library/Application Support/WeatherCatCustomWeb
~/Library/Application Support/WeatherCatMedia
~/Library/Application Support/WeatherCatTemp
~/Library/Application Support/WCWeb
~/Library/Preferences/com.trixology.weathercat.plist
~/Documents/WeatherCatExports
~/Documents/WeatherCatReports
(where ~ is your home directory). Not all of these folders may be present depending on your WeatherCat configuration.

I'm in all the correct locations, with one exception.   I do not see ~/Library/Preferences/com.trixology.weathercat.plist   Did a search and could not locate it anywhere on my computer.

washbob

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW2394
    • KWARICHL13
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 01:03:48 AM »
Attached are some screen shots that hopefully will assist with the troubleshooting.   Attachments are as follows:

Shot of what appears when I look at "Statistics" in WeatherCat.   It only shows data from the day I started using the new computer.

Shot of ~/Library that shows WeatherCatBackups & WeatherCatData

Shot of ~/Documents that shows my data

Shot of ~/Library/WeatherCatData

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2014, 06:20:18 PM »
Check in the Location1 folder of the WeatherCatData folder that all the data files are there. If they aren't that'll be the problem, if they are, check the permissions on them - they won't be read if the permissions are wrong. If they are wrong, try the move again, checking you are logged into the new Mac as the user that will run WeatherCat and copying the files across from there (so the files have the right user and permissions on them).

washbob

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW2394
    • KWARICHL13
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2014, 09:25:12 PM »
I moved all my data files (daily reports) to the Location1 folder.   I checked permissions and I'm the administrator. (that's also how I'm signed in)   However no change when I checked the "Statistics" in WeatherCat.   It only shows the 6 days (Oct 22-27) since I moved to the new computer.   When I initially checked Location1 the only folders were 2014, Calibration.xml & Imagery.   In the 2014 folder were two files:  10_WeatherCatData.cat & 10_WeatherCatData.cat.hrs    I moved the data (daily reports) into Location1.   I appreciate the assistance.  I know it's something simple, but just haven't stumbled onto the right combination.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
wrong source folder (Re: Moving data)
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2014, 08:50:39 PM »
Dear WashBob and WeatherCat fans,

I moved all my data files (daily reports) to the Location1 folder.
. . . .
 In the 2014 folder were two files:  10_WeatherCatData.cat & 10_WeatherCatData.cat.hrs
. . . .
I know it's something simple, but just haven't stumbled onto the right combination.

Yes indeed it is simple, the files you want to move aren't the daily reports but the actual data files which should also have names like 10_WeatherCatData.cat and 10_WeatherCatData.cat.hrs.  There should be two files for every month and they should have the same extensions as these files. 

You don't mention which version of OS X you were running on your own computer, but since OS 10.7 the data files have been hidden by default.  You need to make the Library folder in your home directory folder visible.   Take a look at this article on how to do that:

http://macs.about.com/od/usingyourmac/qt/Os-X-Lion-Is-Hiding-Your-Library-Folder.htm

You really need to reach the directory (folder:)

~/Library/WeatherCatData/Location1

Where the ~ stands in for your home folder.  You should find in that folder a bunch of sub folders organized by year and inside each of those data files like the one you found starting 1_ and going to 12_ to numerically represent every month in the year.

Hope this clarifies things.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

washbob

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW2394
    • KWARICHL13
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2014, 08:58:37 PM »
Edouard,

Thank for the response.   I'm using the latest version of software OS X 10.10.   Unfortunately it appears, I made a mistake when copying information from my old computer and only copied the daily reports files.   I have since wiped the old computer and sold it.   I did copy a lot of information onto a portable hard drive, so if I'm lucky I will locate the missing files.   If not, lesson learned.   Again thanks everyone for the responses.