Author Topic: Signs of the Drought in the Southeast  (Read 1998 times)

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Signs of the Drought in the Southeast
« on: November 27, 2016, 02:29:51 PM »
In my progress of building my own METAR scripts, I notice that KATL is reporting smoke more and more often. We're forecast for several inches of rain in the next 48 hours. I'm hoping it makes it much farther south and east.
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Wishing you rain as well (Re: Signs of the Drought in the Southeast)
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 11:51:56 PM »
Dear X-Air and WeatherCat drought watchers,

In my progress of building my own METAR scripts, I notice that KATL is reporting smoke more and more often. We're forecast for several inches of rain in the next 48 hours. I'm hoping it makes it much farther south and east.

November was dry for 3 week, but we finally did get some rain at the end of the month so hope is not yet lost.  Indeed wishing for an end to droughts all across this thirsty country of ours,

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Re: Signs of the Drought in the Southeast
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2016, 01:31:41 AM »
We got 1.45 inches today, should get some more later in the week. I hope it front moves east enough to bring some rain to northern AL and GA (although the drought officially covers most of AL, GA, FL, MS, eastern TN and much of SC) but the low is almost on the Canadian border, it would help if it drifted several hundred miles south! Even a couple of inches wont break the drought but it will certainly help extinguish the fires.

Not sure I'd want the Low to get too close, however, even though it's near the northern border, it created a new low pressure for my station (which is barely 19 months old): 29.29 in/Hg
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Don't tempt da' D-v-l !! . . . . . (Re: Drought in the Southeast)
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2016, 11:08:37 PM »
Dear X-Air and WeatherCat station owners who don't want to tempt da' . . . .

Not sure I'd want the Low to get too close, however, even though it's near the northern border, it created a new low pressure for my station (which is barely 19 months old): 29.29 in/Hg

You are wise indeed to avoiding seeking to anger the forces of evil weather.  The lowest barometric pressure recorded at my station was 28.86 inHg on Jan 21, 2010.  The station had been active barely 5 months at the time.  During that storm, the house was hit by lightning which took out 2 computers, a DVD player, and most of the AC power to the lower story of the house!

To the credit of Davis Instruments, nonetheless the weather station survived intact!

Cheers, Edouard