Author Topic: Super Moon  (Read 6950 times)

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Super Moon
« on: November 14, 2016, 08:46:10 PM »
If you took any photos of last night's super moon, which was the closest a full moon has been to the earth since 1948, and won't be as close for another 18 years, I would love to see them.

Click here and scroll down to Super Moon to see my three humble contributions, none of which were shot from my DSLR because its battery was dead and so was the spare (it takes a genius to plan like that).

http://timberlakesutah.com/weather/
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Thanks for sharing. (Re: Super Moon )
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2016, 11:45:55 PM »
Dear Blick and WeatherCat stargazers,

If you took any photos of last night's super moon, which was the closest a full moon has been to the earth since 1948, and won't be as close for another 18 years, I would love to see them.

I'm glad you took a shot at photographing the moon.  Alas my two telescopes both languish in an inoperable state.  Perhaps someday if I could ever get past all the other things on my plate these days.

Cheers, Edouard

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Re: Super Moon
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, 01:20:10 AM »
I took a couple but I forgot about the focus! [blush] [goofy] Naturally, the "Super" Moon was a dud! I'm gonna try again having set the focus to Manual and infinity. I don't have a great line of sight because of trees to the east in my neighbors yard. I'll try again in an hour when the Moon may be high enough to clear the tree tops (which it does almost every night...). I doubt the 'naked eye' will be able to tell the difference between last night and tonight, anyway. But there are also some clouds tonight... Of course, mentioning my plans will probably also jinx them. [banghead]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Better effect when sky isn't completely dark (Re: Super Moon )
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2016, 12:14:29 AM »
Dear X-Air and WeatherCat shutterbugs,

I took a couple but I forgot about the focus! [blush] [goofy]

When you have the choice, trying to photograph something like the moon will turn out better if you can avoid having an inky black blackground.  Digital cameras are designed to cope with 90% majority of photos and rarely is the contrast that extreme.  So if you photograph the moon a few days earlier against a blue twilight background might turn out better.  Another way to get a better focus is to have the moon next to a distant object that the camera nonetheless can focus correctly on.  Having the moon framed in a few branches has a nice artistic touch.

[wink] . . . . So why don't I take my own advice? . . . . . Golly it took so long to write it up that I'm already exhausted! . . . .  lol(1)

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2016, 12:42:34 AM »
I just used the manual settings for aperture and shutter speed and forgot that auto focus was still on. Still the extremely high contrast blew out the Moon, even on the 'normal' settings. I went back out to get a 'zoomed' version of just the Moon, but by then the clouds had covered it. The plan was to remove everything except the Moon's disk, reduce it size to match that on the blown out versions and hope for a better result. Perhaps tonight...

Or I may wait too long and end up with a 'Super Cresent'! [lol]

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2016, 03:11:33 AM »
I start out at f/11, 1/250 second, and ISO 200, and bracket 1/2 stops both ways several stops, with the lens manually focused. A solid tripod is a must, too. I use a remote shutter or timed shutter release to help reduce any camera movement.

This one was from last November, and apparently, I forgot to turn down the ISO.

Nikon D750
Focal length 600mm
ISO 400
f/8
1/1600 second

The full Moon may look dramatic, but you can get a lot more surface details with the Moon illuminated from the side.
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2016, 05:12:07 AM »
Nice shot! Nice camera! Nice Moon! wait... need to rephrase that ...  [banghead]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Thanks for sharing. (Re: Super Moon )
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2016, 11:29:09 PM »
Dear Steve, X-Air, and WeatherCat budding astro-photographers,

This one was from last November, and apparently, I forgot to turn down the ISO.

Very nice!  Thanks for sharing!

The full Moon may look dramatic, but you can get a lot more surface details with the Moon illuminated from the side.

Ah yes, advice from my youth!  :)  There are one group of lunar features that are best photographed around the full moon: the rays emanating from craters like Tycho

P.S. it is amazing the things you can find on Wikipedia!

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2016, 02:37:31 PM »
I find the most difficult images to make of the Moon are on the far side...

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2016, 11:17:31 PM »

Oh, that's easy. You just need to use a prism.

Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
How FAR out do you want to get . . . . . (Re: Super Moon )
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2016, 11:46:43 PM »
Dear X-Air, Steve, and WeatherCat adventurers to "da' far side!"

[wink] . . . . Oh I don't know, if you happen to be in one of those states that legalized the recreational use of marijuana . . . . With that, it might be easy to get to the far side! . .  [goofy] . .   Of course taking the photo while you are on the far side - that may be a bit more difficult! . . . . .  lol(1)

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2016, 01:54:21 AM »
OK. It took a while. Had to wait until the Moon was on the other side of the Earth... Here's my 'entry'. I garon tee it's a pure pitcher, kno photoshoppin' (don't even have that app!).
OK, it wasn't really on thuh other side, it were reely in my naybers back yard! Honist!
[runoff]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2016, 04:19:42 PM »
Very nice, Xair.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Nice job X-Air! (Re: Super Moon )
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2016, 10:47:22 PM »
Dear X-Air, Blick, and WeatherCat shutterbugs, . . .

OK. It took a while. Had to wait until the Moon was on the other side of the Earth... Here's my 'entry'. I garon tee it's a pure pitcher, kno photoshoppin' (don't even have that app!).

Nice job X-Air!  I've been thinking about a shot like that, but I haven't managed to do it.

However, I do have a small complaint.  For whatever reason, the EXIF data on your photo is missing.  Could you clue is in as to what camera you used and perhaps the telephoto lens if one was used?

Thanks for sharing!  [tup]

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2016, 12:31:23 AM »
There's no exit data because it's two different images combined in PS Elements. I'll get the info to you later tomorrow. But you won't want to use the setting I had on the image withe the ISS. All those were much too long and the Moon was always extremely over exposed. Better to make a single Moon shot and reduce its size as needed. ThU32:-)