Author Topic: Western US WeatherCatters - warm enough for you?  (Read 4476 times)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Western US WeatherCatters - warm enough for you?
« on: June 27, 2016, 10:34:18 PM »
Dear WeatherCat users in the western parts of the United States,

The four corners high pressure ridge that traditionally dominates weather in the later part of summer has been extremely strong at an unusually early part of summer.  The high temperature for today at Canebas is about 4-1/2˚ F below the record that was set in September of last year and it might still go higher.  Tomorrow is supposed to be still hotter, so that record might fall before the end of June.  Southern California is supposed to worse off as well as Arizona and New Mexico. 

So how are you guys coping with da' heat? . . . . . .  [sweat2]

Edouard

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: Western US WeatherCatters - warm enough for you?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 11:39:37 PM »
We missed our all time high temperature record last week by just one tenth of a degree. We are coping by holding a family reunion in Park CIty, Utah, where we had a freeze warning Saturday night! Spending time with our 12 grandchildren is some of the best entertainment we cab have.
Blick

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 12:44:45 AM »
Hi Blick and Edouard
 86.4 here in central Ohio and not even a breeze blowing HOT [sweat2]

cheers
 [cheers1]

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
    • WU for Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless Vantage Pro 2, iMac 24"
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 06:56:13 AM »
I'm coping by hanging out in the air conditioning, all day, every day. Well, almost every day. I have a large lawn that is still growing, so I try to time mowing for just after the cool fronts. Had one blow through here yesterday and today. Yesterday, high of 91 dropped to below 84 around 2:45pm, and again at 8:45 dropped from 83 to below 73. Got a rain out of that one. Today, high of 86 dropped to 74? in one hour around 4pm. Rained on that one, too. Altogether, we got a little over a quarter inch.

It is supposed to be cooler, down in the mid 80's for highs, over the next few days. One of them will see me riding the mower for a couple of hours.

[cheers1]
Herb

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 04:38:24 PM »
I "inherited" a John Deere riding mower somewhat larger than I really need, However, I can now 'weedeat', mow, and blow the yard in under two hours. Since the Sun is available for much longer these days, I can wait until 5 or even 5:30 and still be done before "Mom" tells me to come inside! Early in the day would be cooler, but the dew is usually so heavy that it simply clogs up the mower. This mower, and the one it replaced, is an electric start, riding type. And yet, I still can't get my wife interested in practicing her driving skills with it! [banghead] [lol]

BTW, we got 1.50 inches yesterday from that system that came through your area. Woke us up around 5:30 am! Next time, slow it down a bit, it will let us sleep longer and you might get more of the precip! [tup]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 06:02:11 PM »
If these trees and hills can't slow it down, I don't think I can with my arm waving and shouting.  [lol] Our rain movement pattern was from NNE to SSW, anyway. Not to undamped your spirit, this time our weather headed toward Texarkana. Since you inherited the mower, I'll bet it's the tractor and not the zero-turn version. I'm hooked on zero-turn now. Without it, my yard would take three hours to do. Too many trees, rocks, bushes and objects of dubious purpose.

[cheers1]
Herb

Weatheraardvark

• Gale
  • I hear tornado sirens, lets go climb on the roof
    • C0005
    • KIADESMI1
    • Des Moines Weather and Climate
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 Plus, Fars, Extra sensors
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2016, 06:03:57 PM »
It has cooled off in Des Moines finally. Supposed to be cooler through at least the 4th.   Rain has been a problem much like a lot of places. It has gone around Des Moines.  The average rainfall at my place has been about 5 inches,  but we had 1.23 inches this month.

June has been much like July weather,  I am guessing if the trend continues, October should be hell on wheels.

So today the windows are open, air conditioning has been turned off,  the yard is brown and the garden is doing alright.

Keep hydrated in this weather.
Davis VP2 Plus; 24h  FARS; Extra Temp Humid sensor (2); Extra Temp Station (2);;Weatherlink IP;USB; MAC Ventura 13.3

; https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddablePage/show/8a7585dd06404bde81d5229b09f84ebb/summary

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2016, 06:18:50 PM »
Our rain movement pattern was from NNE to SSW, anyway.
Not what I was watching yesterday. But it was minimal rain in your area. It simply intensified and built as it moved SSE. Obviously a cool front with clearing. Take a look at a Windity map and check the various altitudes, what we see on the ground of the cloud bottoms may not be what is happening even at higher altitudes. I also like the WU composite radar maps, great for seeing what might be coming.

Furthermore, I know this weather came from your area because of the fish that came out of your lake and fell during the downdrafts! :o Most were too small to eat, of course. I guess they were 'small fry'?

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Ready for autumn? (Re: Western US WeatherCatters - warm enough for you?)
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2016, 12:15:53 AM »
Dear Blick, Randall, Herb, X-Air, Weatheraardvark, and WeatherCat who don't like too hot . . . .

Sorry to hear that excessive heat has been a problem everywhere.  If it is any consolation, France has been cool and very wet thus far this summer.  I would gladly relieve them of the rain if there was any way to get to California.  I suppose Iowa would also like some of that bounty.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Back to Yo'yo (Re: Western US WeatherCatters - warm enough for you?)
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2016, 10:25:55 PM »
Dear WeatherCat inhabitants of the 2016 summer on planet Earth,

It appears that the 4-corners ridge has retreated just enough to allow the onshore flow to return to the San Francisco bay area.  Yesterday's high was 95.2˚ F (35.2˚ C).  The forecast high for today was 78˚ F.  It appears it won't exceed over the current high of 74.3˚ F (23.5˚ C).

Go figure . . . . . 

Edouard

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Hot across the USA. (Re: US WeatherCatters - warm enough for you?)
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2016, 11:08:09 PM »
Dear WeatherCatters in da' USofA, . . .

There is a dome of high pressure over a large part of the country and from California to the Eastern Seaboard there is sweltering heat.  Of course there is the usual regional differences.  Out here in the West it is a dry desert heat.  For the Midwest and East is humid heat.

So US WeatherCatters, how are you coping with the heat?  [sweat2]

Hiding inside with the A/C on killer frost . . . . . Edouard

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2016, 11:44:54 PM »
Cooling off here, Edouard. Been cloudy most of the day. Never got to 100? F but I'll give it an e for effort. High was 98.2 (36.8?C), already down to 87.0? F (30?C). Our heat has been frequently broken by these passing showers and mild thunder storms.

If it weren't for the insects, (kinda woodsy here) I'd go outside and listen the the thunder awhile.

[cheers1]
Herb

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2016, 12:39:27 AM »
We got to 98.9?F yesterday. Fortunately there were heavy clouds all day, even got 0.80 inches of ran from a CB early this morning. There's plenty of 'hot spots' to get some convection lift and the humidity is still in abundance. Any storm we get gives us a good watering since the winds under that high are so slight the storms just sits in one spot. [tup] They don't want to move in this heat anymore than the humans! [lol]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2016, 03:47:32 AM »
They hit 96? F (36? C) in the Salt Lake Valley today, but here at altitude in the mountains, we could only muster 79? F (26? C). I went down into the basement and watched the Tour de France, then spent the afternoon on my to do list (see attached).
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
A warm week for CA (Re: US WeatherCatters - warm enough for you?)
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2016, 11:44:55 PM »
Dear Herb, X-Air, Blick, and WeatherCat heat wave sufferers,

Well the hottest spots to the East have Northern California easily beat.  Yesterday the high was 96.0˚ F (35.6˚ C). Today it was a little bit cooler at 92.9˚ F (33.8˚ C).  We get some relief tomorrow before the furnace kicks back in for the rest of the work week.  However, we are supposed to have a long-wave trough settle along the coast by the weekend that should bring the temperatures below normal.

We shall see!

Think cool thoughts!   Edouard