Author Topic: Moods of the sky around our weather instruments 2015-16  (Read 42728 times)

HantaYo

• Strong Breeze
    • CW3993
    • KCOSALID1
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro Plus via Keyspan Serial/USB adapator running on 10.9.4
Re: Moods of the sky around our weather instruments 2015-16
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2015, 03:48:39 AM »
Fire Part 2 (looking north from the house; sorry could not get the weather station in the picture for this one):

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
    • WU for Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless Vantage Pro 2, iMac 24"
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2015, 06:29:58 AM »
There's no "Like" or "Recommend" button, but if there was, I'd like or recommend both of those shots, Edouard.

[rockon]

I'd like to contribute, but I've been really busy burying drainage pipes for roof run-off. I'm done now, but my body is still in recovery mode. I also just keep forgetting to at the right time. Plus, there's not much in the way of beauty to capture, but I'll try.
Herb

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2015, 09:21:56 PM »
I have very little "sky" visible from our back yard, at least from an angle that would include the station. There's an over-head view in this post from back in Feb, '15. The station ended up at location "B" in that image. There is a Maple preparing to show its fall colors, however. Frankly, our sky has been too similar to Edouard's to suit me... although the farmers certainly appreciate the ability to get their crops in! ;) The only way I could get a sky 'background' would be to lay on the ground directly below the station! [bounce] [rolleyes2]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Wow! Nasty fire! (Re: Moods of the sky .. 2015-16)
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2015, 11:01:10 PM »
Dear Jeff, Herb, X-Air, and WeatherCat shutterbugs,

Fire Part 2 (looking north from the house; sorry could not get the weather station in the picture for this one):

Wow!   Given the amount of smoke this is way too close for comfort.  Does it look like the fire fighters are getting the upper hand on this fire?

There's no "Like" or "Recommend" button, but if there was, I'd like or recommend both of those shots, Edouard.

Awe shucks! . . .  :-[

I'd like to contribute, but I've been really busy burying drainage pipes for roof run-off.

[wink] . . . . Awe shucks Herb, what's more important?  Taking pretty pictures or making sure the house doesn't get drowned . . . . now really! . . .  [lol2]

I'm done now, but my body is still in recovery mode.

[wink] . . . . So once you have recovered will come over to my house to check the drains? . . .  [biggrin]

Fortunately, that's not a big job for me, but alas I'm still waiting for any serious sign of rain before starting that work . . .

I also just keep forgetting to at the right time. Plus, there's not much in the way of beauty to capture, but I'll try.

I'll let you guys in on a little secret that is the key to my success.  I take these pictures when the sunrise is around breakfast time.  When I get up, I usually have something to do outside.  I take a quick peek to see what the sunrise is going to look like and if it looks promising I grab my camera and leave it next to the breakfast table.  Then between sips of coffee or whatever I grab some snapshots! . . .

The only way I could get a sky 'background' would be to lay on the ground directly below the station! [bounce] [rolleyes2]

[wink] . . . That's no excuse X-Air!  I've crawled on my belly in the dirt to take a great photograph!! . . .  [goofy]

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

HantaYo

• Strong Breeze
    • CW3993
    • KCOSALID1
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro Plus via Keyspan Serial/USB adapator running on 10.9.4
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2015, 11:55:55 PM »
Wow!   Given the amount of smoke this is way too close for comfort.  Does it look like the fire fighters are getting the upper hand on this fire?

Good news [tup] Actually both fires early this week and yesterday and today are controlled burns.    Only thing I could thank of starting the fires were hunters and campfires or cigarettes.  Noticed a sign along the highway saying a controlled burn in process please do not report.  Then I checked my cell phone (it is a tract phone and it mostly stays off 99% of the time) and there were several reverse 911 messages in regards to the controlled burns.  We dropped our land line phone and went with VOIP last year.  Forgot to register my VOIP number with reverse 911.  Kinda shocked they are burning with the dry humidity and lack of rain for 7 weeks.  Off to register my VOIP phone number with reverse 911.

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
    • WU for Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless Vantage Pro 2, iMac 24"
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2015, 02:44:30 PM »
Up early this morning and took the opportunity to try to grab some sunrise shots. Sunrise was a dud. Shots were worse. But, I did get two worth keeping and one of them actually has the anemometer in it. I should have used HDR on the iPhone during the sunrise photos. Didn't think of it until later, though. Guess which of these has HDR turned on?

Herb

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2015, 05:55:18 PM »
OK, you've shamed me into laying on the ground! On a moving/packing blanket, anyway, although there was practically no dew this morning. Apparently, a couple of buzzards thought I might be a 'snack'! Fortunately, I moved around enough for them to decide investigating more appealing locations; the trees in my backyard make it a difficult place for large birds to land! The second bird is a bit hard to spot, it is not deguised as a leaf... [rolleyes2]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Good news all around! (Re: Moods of the sky .. 2015-16)
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2015, 08:26:32 PM »
Dear Jeff, Herb, X-Air, and WeatherCat shutterbugs, . . . .

Good news [tup] Actually both fires early this week and yesterday and today are controlled burns.

Indeed a strange time to have control burns but you hope these guys know what they are doing.  Glad nothing more serious than that!

Up early this morning and took the opportunity to try to grab some sunrise shots. Sunrise was a dud. Shots were worse. But, I did get two worth keeping and one of them actually has the anemometer in it. I should have used HDR on the iPhone during the sunrise photos. Didn't think of it until later, though. Guess which of these has HDR turned on?

Hey I like this!   Thanks for the neat photos Herb!!  [tup]

Even if there isn't anything dramatic in your sunrise shot it is very nice.  A calm morning is another kind of mood and I like to try to catch all the moods of the sky.

Indeed HDR is a neat option.  That's why I upgraded to a newer Canon DSLR.  However, right now for some reason I can turn on HDR and I haven't had time to read the manual to figure out why!

OK, you've shamed me into laying on the ground! On a moving/packing blanket, anyway, although there was practically no dew this morning. Apparently, a couple of buzzards thought I might be a 'snack'! Fortunately, I moved around enough for them to decide investigating more appealing locations; the trees in my backyard make it a difficult place for large birds to land! The second bird is a bit hard to spot, it is not deguised as a leaf... [rolleyes2]

Very nice X-Air!  [tup]

I really like the effect of the mixed blue with the clouds and the fall colors are neat.  The bird of prey is the final nice touch.  You see, sometimes it is really worth it "lie down on the job!" . . .  [rolleyes2]

If course the pun was intended!!

Thanks gang for all the cool pics!

Keep 'em comin'!!

LesCimes

• Strong Breeze
    • CW9832
    • KGAGRACE1
    • Weather Underground
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2 on a MacMini (2009) Mac OS 10.11.6
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2015, 10:40:02 PM »
Ought to send that picture to Davis for their publication. Pretty nice shot.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Fog and sky (Re: Moods of the sky .. 2015-16)
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2015, 10:56:08 PM »
Dear Michael and WeatherCat shutterbugs, . . . .

Just to give you'all a bit more inspiration I snapped two more photos this morning.  Here is the sun playing of patchy fog:

Inspired by X-Air's shot, I tried one from directly underneath my rain gauge and anemometer:

I'm learning from you guys and will have to try some other angles!

Keep 'em comin'!!  . . .

HantaYo

• Strong Breeze
    • CW3993
    • KCOSALID1
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2015, 02:48:21 AM »
Just to give you'all a bit more inspiration I snapped two more photos this morning.  Here is the sun playing of patchy fog:

Any rain come with that fog?

I'm learning from you guys and will have to try some other angles!

How about a picture from top of the anemometer mast?  And a drone shoot is cheating  [bounce]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
No and Noooo!!!!! (Re: Moods of the sky .. 2015-16)
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2015, 10:29:35 PM »
Dear Jeff and WeatherCat drought watchers . . . .

Here is the sun playing of patchy fog:

Any rain come with that fog?

Alas no . . . . .  Earliest hope in 10 to 14 days out according to the National Weather Service Climate Prediction Center.

How about a picture from top of the anemometer mast?  And a drone shoot is cheating  [bounce]

In a phrase . . . . . .

Besides, exactly how am I going to get a photograph of the sky and my weather instruments from a point above all my weather instruments!! . . .

[biggrin] . . . Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

LesCimes

• Strong Breeze
    • CW9832
    • KGAGRACE1
    • Weather Underground
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2 on a MacMini (2009) Mac OS 10.11.6
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2015, 11:55:49 PM »
How about zooming in with Google Earth? I can see the shadow my anemometer mast throws when I zoom into my yard on Google Earth.

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2015, 11:59:33 PM »
Besides, exactly how am I going to get a photograph of the sky and my weather instruments from a point above all my weather instruments!!
I thought that was why "weather" balloons were invented! [banghead] :P

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Two more photos. (Re: Moods of the sky .. 2015-16)
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2015, 09:50:40 PM »
Dear WeatherCat shutterbugs,

Still no rain, but we are getting some beautiful sunrises around here.  Here is one taken a few day ago:

Here is another photo taken the same day with both the anemometer and the rain gauge:

Okay, who's next?!?  ;D

Cheers, Edouard