Author Topic: Greeting from Cape Cod, Ma  (Read 8640 times)

Mapleman1

• Gentle Breeze
    • KMAORLEA10
  • Station Details: Vantage pro2 with 24hr. fan, with concole. Davis data logger, weathercat , Mac 27 inch
Greeting from Cape Cod, Ma
« on: January 25, 2016, 10:33:56 PM »
First off, I would like to give a very large thank you to Elagache ( Edouard) for all the help getting me up and running before the big storm hit!!! Cheers  [cheers1]

Hello guys, greeting from Cape Cod, Ma USA.  For those of you who are not familiar with the area, I'm on a large sandbar about 90 miles south of Boston. Cape cod is shaped like an arm sticking out off the east coast of Massachusetts into the Atlantic. I'm on "the elbow" I'm about two miles from the Atlantic Ocean and two miles from the bay. Water, water everywhere! We get a lot of nor'easter's during the winter months. And being right on the Atlantic we get a LOT of wind as well.

I tried to attach a few photos but they were not sized correctly (huge) so I delete tend them for now. ( still learning) any tips ?

"I'll try everything in my life, things I like, I'll try em twice"

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Re: Greeting from Cape Cod, Ma
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 11:48:52 PM »
First, Welcome AboaRd, Mapleman!

As for reducing the sizes of images, you'll need some kind of image editing app. I think Apple's iPhoto can be used for that, I've not even opened it in years! The problem you may be seeing is that your camera is using a resolution of something like 600 dpi. But when it is displayed here, it will probably show at a much lower resolution, basically whatever your monitor uses. That could be anywhere from 72dpi (starting with the original Mac but now up to several hundred dpi on those 'retina' models. For posting/viewing on the web, anything above 100 dpi is pretty much a waste of bandwidth. And having to scroll horizontally is a huge hassle, I personally hate it, but I suppose most people run their apps at 'full screen'.

Bottom line, use any app you want to reduce the size to something like 1,000 pixels wide (800 is even better, in my opinion). Try iPhoto, I'm sure there are some here that can give you the exact menu items/tool icons to use. Once you've done that, they will upload and, more importantly for those viewing the images, they will download much faster! [tup]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 11:51:39 PM »
Hello @Mapleman! and welcome to the WeatherCat forum!

As you've already found, we have a very helpful group here. I've ben out your way a few times, and due to do some again soon. I imagine your weather is pretty entertaining to watch!

As for photo hints, are you attaching them directly, or linking home from a photo sharing site? If the latter, they usually have a method to select the display size. If attachments, then you need to scale them down on your end before attaching them to the post.

Glad you found us!
Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

Mapleman1

• Gentle Breeze
    • KMAORLEA10
  • Station Details: Vantage pro2 with 24hr. fan, with concole. Davis data logger, weathercat , Mac 27 inch
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2016, 12:02:34 AM »
Thanks guys! I'm on my iPad , and for the life of me I can't figure out how to resize a photo. ( I know this is a weather forum not a photo forum  [computer]) I used a resizing app and resized a couple to the max 1024 size and then tried to repost and they still come in way over sized. The top left corner of the pic shows up? I can tell the image has been reduced in quiuity by resizing it but it's actually size it sill way to big. [banghead

I used photobucket to resize this to 640 , I try the max of 1024 and you could see the image but you had to scroll to the right to see the whole image??

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2016, 12:10:54 AM »
Absolutely no experience with resizing on an iPad. Highly recommend registering (free) at Photobucket.com (they even have an app, although I've only used the desktop version). I've uploaded at least 150 images there and it shows I've used 3% of my available, free space. It has some nice editing features and linking to an image there will also help the space required at any forum where you 'post' an image; the space used is at Photobucket, not the forums. ;)

I'm now investigating the app on my iPhone. If I can do something there, the iPad should be a snap! :)

It does have ads along the bottom of the screen... but most 'free' apps do. [rolleyes2]

I see your 'selfie'. That size is fine with me, even though I have to scroll sideways a bit. I keep my browser window at only 1200 x 900 pixels, normally. I also have1000 x 800 and even an 800 x 600 pixel rectangles on my home page. It helps me make sure any web page I create will fit even older computers!  :o The problem is that most forum software has a column or two on the sides of their pages which means images displayed in a post won't be able to use the whole width of the browser window. Really old forum software will even cause the entire page to stretch to display those wide images and then every post also becomes that wide forcing viewers to scroll horizontally just to read any post, even the ones without images! [banghead] Fortunately that's not the case here. [cheer]

I hope you have some mattresses or even a trampoline on that deck behind you... a good healthy gust and you could be 'testing' them out! ???

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2016, 12:37:49 AM »
Oh well, there doesn't seem to be the one thing you're interested in with the Photobucket iPhone app; all kinds of edits... except resizing! "Crop"? Sure, but that's not the kind of resizing we're talking about. [banghead]

Mapleman1

• Gentle Breeze
    • KMAORLEA10
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2016, 12:52:17 AM »
I hope you have some mattresses or even a trampoline on that deck behind you... a good healthy gust and you could be 'testing' them out! ???
[/quote]

Ironically enough, when we were on the roof, the win was 0 mph which is very unusual here. Calm before the storm I guess. Here's some pic's of install day...

Mapleman1

• Gentle Breeze
    • KMAORLEA10
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2016, 12:56:07 AM »
And a couple of the start of the storm and the last one was in the hart of it. We only ended up with about 6" all said and done. My top gust was 31 mph , I was hoping for more. I'm going to get a 25 foot pole so the altimeter is up with the tops of the trees.

dfw_pilot

• Gale
    • GW3252
    • KTNWILLI1
    • WX Page
  • Station Details: Davis Pro2 Plus
Better luck
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2016, 12:59:56 AM »
I think you will have better luck and more accurate readings if you mount your ISS nearer the ground, around your deck, while keeping the anemometer up on the roof. Plus, it makes for much less hassle when needing to clean/inspect/change batteries/re-attach wires/ etc.

I think the best resizing tool is the free one in your applications folder (not on the iPad): Preview. Open a picture and select: Tools->Adjust Size. It's simple, works great, and does a great job. I use it all the time.

Welcome to the forum.
A clear conscience is a great pillow.

Mapleman1

• Gentle Breeze
    • KMAORLEA10
Re: Better luck
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2016, 01:08:12 AM »
I think you will have better luck and more accurate readings if you mount your ISS nearer the ground, around your deck, while keeping the anemometer up on the roof. Plus, it makes for much less hassle when needing to clean/inspect/change batteries/re-attach wires/ etc.

Welcome to the forum.

Agreed , one thing at a time, going to move the ISS to the ground in the spring, just wanted to get it up and running and test everything out and I didn't have enough to wire to move the altimeter to the roof and leave the ISS by the deck. I will get the wireless transmitter. They are not the best looking objects , I have a well landscaped property, not exactly what we want to look at but it's slowly growing on me and my wife I hope. I'm going to mount it on a mahogany post to match the deck.

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
Re: Better luck
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2016, 02:35:57 AM »

Agreed , one thing at a time, going to move the ISS to the ground in the spring, just wanted to get it up and running and test everything out and I didn't have enough to wire to move the altimeter to the roof and leave the ISS by the deck. I will get the wireless transmitter. They are not the best looking objects , I have a well landscaped property, not exactly what we want to look at but it's slowly growing on me and my wife I hope. I'm going to mount it on a mahogany post to match the deck.

Is that why you mounted it on the slope of the roof? I was going to comment that you'll get a better reading straddling the peak with the anemometer. I'm using a wireless transmitter, too, and it makes locations much more flexible. Plus the transmitter can be down where you can reach it to change batteries every few years.

It looks like you have a wide open yard to find a location for the ISS.

Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Welcome! (Re: Greeting from Cape Cod, Ma )
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2016, 03:26:50 AM »
Dear WeatherCat welcoming committee,

Sorry it is has been a long day for me too but . . .

Welcome Tobin to the WeatherCat forum!!

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2016, 04:36:05 AM »
There's some good info here on <siting the various weather instruments>. Unfortunately, trees, houses, hills apparently have not read the info...

Hare's a thread on<how some have mounted stuff>. Not sure I remember any mahogany posts, however. Mine is cedar but the bottom of the post is a couple of inches above ground level! It's a secret levitation method I found at Home Depot...

Here's a sample of my 'shade tree engineering' when I was in the testing phase. Only thing I'd do differently would be to stain the 2 x 10's to match the shingles...
:o  [lol2]  :P

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
    • WU for Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless Vantage Pro 2, iMac 24"
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2016, 04:54:27 AM »
Welcome Mapleman1!

As the lady said to her contractor husband about the money he'd just spent on a weather station (at least that's what he thought she was talking about), "Getting it up is the most important thing. The hard part can come later after it warms up."

Looks like you've got it figured out. I was going to say something about that roof throwing off quite a bit of heat from the sun, but I see it's just temporary.

I do all photo handling, especially size editing in Preview in OS X. It has all the control you need, including changing those screen captures to jpg from png.

Welcome again!
 [cheers1]
Herb

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2016, 07:31:37 AM »
Welcome to the WeatherCar Forum MapleMan. Glad to have you join us.
Blick