Author Topic: ISS Relocation & Maintenance  (Read 6443 times)

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
ISS Relocation & Maintenance
« on: July 28, 2017, 11:09:52 PM »
Yesterday I relocated my ISS about 14 feet to a better location for measuring solar radiation and UV light. It will also allow the solar panel to be in direct sunlight for a longer period during the day. Whilst I was enjoying this wee bit of fun, I did my annual maintenance, cleaning out the cobwebs and applying Rain-X to the inside of my rain collector cone. I also decided to replace the power cable running out to my heater unit to minimize the probability of having to do it during a snow storm this winter. I considered changing the ISS battery, but the voltage tested 3.2 under load so I decided to let it stay in action for a while longer. We are now halfway through the short summer period where we get our outside maintenance projects completed before it snows. I am, therefore, about halfway through a project to install a radiant heated driveway to relieve me of some, but not all of my winter snow removal requirements.
 [snow]
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
I wish our summer was short! (Re: ISS Relocation & Maintenance)
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2017, 10:16:14 PM »
Dear Blick and WeatherCat handy-folks,

I considered changing the ISS battery, but the voltage tested 3.2 under load so I decided to let it stay in action for a while longer.

So what is your strategy on replacing that battery?  Are you planning to keep it until it drops to a certain voltage, or will you replace it after some period?

We are now halfway through the short summer period where we get our outside maintenance projects completed before it snows. I am, therefore, about halfway through a project to install a radiant heated driveway to relieve me of some, but not all of my winter snow removal requirements.

Sorry to hear that you don't have enough time to do all that maintenance.  I would gladly share with you some of our summer.   Thus far it has been one of the hottest in recent memory! [sweat2]

Cheers, Edouard

Weatheraardvark

• Gale
  • I hear tornado sirens, lets go climb on the roof
    • C0005
    • KIADESMI1
    • Des Moines Weather and Climate
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 Plus, Fars, Extra sensors
Re: ISS Relocation & Maintenance
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2017, 10:35:17 PM »
I can see the wisdom of both sides of changing the ISS battery.  If it were me, and I was doing all the rest, a real fresh battery change would be in order.  OR  you can be like everyone else and trudge out in a blizzard to change the blasted battery.
Davis VP2 Plus; 24h  FARS; Extra Temp Humid sensor (2); Extra Temp Station (2);;Weatherlink IP;USB; MAC Ventura 13.3

; https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddablePage/show/8a7585dd06404bde81d5229b09f84ebb/summary

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2017, 12:24:50 AM »
So what is your strategy on replacing that battery?  Are you planning to keep it until it drops to a certain voltage, or will you replace it after some period?
I can see the wisdom of both sides of changing the ISS battery.  If it were me, and I was doing all the rest, a real fresh battery change would be in order.  OR  you can be like everyone else and trudge out in a blizzard to change the blasted battery.

Ha ha ha Weatheraardvark. Been there, done that too. I don't know if I have a strategy as much as I am too cheap to give up on that battery just yet. My first one, the generic one that shipped from Davis, lasted 7 years. Then I went through 4 name brand batteries, each one lasting 5 months whilst I sorted out that I had a faulty wireless transmitter and then a bad super capacitor. Now I am hoping I can get through one more winter with this one, which would give me two years (in April 2018). If I can get two years I will be happy and replace. However, the more likely scenario is that I will be changing it in a blizzard. Again.
Blick

Weatheraardvark

• Gale
    • C0005
    • KIADESMI1
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2017, 01:03:12 AM »
Most of the issues with the ISS battery has been in either the charging circuit for the super-cap that kept giving me a weekly notice that the battery was depleted. Of course I replaced it always thinking , wasn't this unit be able to operate in total darkness for 3 months?  I thought i read it somewhere.

so I started keeping a record of date/year/sensor  when I replaced batteries.  for those that are powered by the battery, I get sometime six months,maybe less.   Now for the ISS, I figure if the summer or winter has been exceptionally nasty,to change the battery when that season ends.  So it is possible every six months or a year at best . 

I have 8 stations , I went big time.  So I buy batteries in bulk.   Cheaper for me. I go to Batteryjunction and I found that the Surefire brand seems to do a good job.  of course I buy about 2 dozen at a time for about 1.50US each.   Then when I start getting low,buy another set. 

One advantage of waiting for the blizzard, it gets you out of the house for a while for some quiet time and it isn't that bad.  For me my FARS has died off and I seem not to care.   Probably the batteries have gone bad, but I really don't want to bring the unit inside to replace it, so we are going passive until I get  to the point I need a project.
Davis VP2 Plus; 24h  FARS; Extra Temp Humid sensor (2); Extra Temp Station (2);;Weatherlink IP;USB; MAC Ventura 13.3

; https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddablePage/show/8a7585dd06404bde81d5229b09f84ebb/summary

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2017, 02:51:21 AM »
Thanks for sharing; interesting setup you have. I also took another look at your website, which is a nice implementation of Wim's template.

Davis Instruments told me that 5 months is the approximate time the ISS can run on total battery power 24:7, which means that if the ISS battery only lasts about 6 months or less, the super-cap has gone bad or the solar panel is kaput. However, the techs at Davis have never seen a solar panel go bad, neither has Ryan at Scaled Instruments.

I'll let you know how my 2-year attempt goes. I was spoiled by that seven year run on my first battery. Herb posted some study results somewhere on this forum that definitely demonstrated Duracell 3 volts last longer, but I had a Batteries Plus guy tell me all 3 volts are made in the same factory by the same people and you are only paying for marketing with Duracell. I didn't believe him but maybe its true. In my opinion, there have to be at least two competing battery factories in the world.
Blick

Weatheraardvark

• Gale
    • C0005
    • KIADESMI1
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2017, 03:49:51 AM »
I will await with baited breath, or is it breath that smells like bait?   Anyway, good luck

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Simply have to decide on a strategy (Re: ISS Relocation & Maintenance)
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2017, 11:27:35 PM »
Dear Weatheraardvark, Blick, and WeatherCat station caregivers,

I'm more in Weatheraardvark camp.  I have WeatherCat sending me a maintenance reminder for the 2nd of October which is the anniversary of the station going on-line.  In California, the weather will still be good until then, so I can do all the other things Blick did and I simply replace the battery every year.  I also buy these batteries in bulk since I have second temperature/humidity station that is exclusively battery-powered.

However, I suspect that one could approach the problem from the other point of view and monitor the voltage.  It is easy to measure the voltage without removing the battery.  So one could easily wait until the voltage is close to 3 volts and only change then.  However, I'll be the first to admit that this is a strategy best-used in a location with a comparatively mild climate.  For both of you, I would pay a little extra and replace the battery once a year rather than having to fight your winters should a battery die prematurely!   [cold]

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
For both of you, I would pay a little extra and replace the battery once a year rather than having to fight your winters should a battery die prematurely!

Very sound advice. Which I shall surely implement next year if I have battery failure this winter.
Blick

Weatheraardvark

• Gale
    • C0005
    • KIADESMI1
For both of you, I would pay a little extra and replace the battery once a year rather than having to fight your winters should a battery die prematurely!

Very sound advice. Which I shall surely implement next year if I have battery failure this winter.

There is a bright side to all this,   Most of us have our stations sitting within reach, about 5 feet or so off the ground.   Imagine those folks who have their ISS up on a pole, tower, etc and then the battery quits, in the winter, on the best weather gathering day, at night in an ice storm, with a howling wind.  Kind of brings a smile to my lips.     I am certain whatever you decide to do is  best for you.