Author Topic: What has been the climate for May according to WeatherCat?  (Read 11442 times)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
What has been the climate for June according to WeatherCat?
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2018, 10:47:15 PM »
Dear WeatherCat climate watchers,

Another month has passed so it is now possible to see what WeatherCat observed at our local stations.  As last month I have a report from WeatherCatRCP with the results:

While the results are literally below normal, they are surely less than one standard deviation so while there was a yo-yo of heat waves and cool periods the net result was average temperatures.  That's significantly different from the Climate Prediction Center's outlook for Northern California in June:

http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=2737.msg26757#msg26757

According to that graph:

There was a 60% or greater chance of above normal temperatures right up to the coast.  I find this disturbing because what actually happened was fairly normal weather phenomena.  Instead of uniform heat, there was cyclical pattern of hot weather that was quenched by the cooler air from the ocean.  After each heat wave, ocean air was drawn inland leading to several days of below normal weather.  The physics is absolutely routine and mundane.  It is very much the sort of thing one would expect climate models to be able to easily capture.  It is in my opinion another clear example of the science not measuring up to what should be expected given our overall understanding of the atmosphere.

Edouard 

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: What has been the climate for May according to WeatherCat?
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2018, 10:07:04 AM »
Where I live, on the other side of the Sierras from Edouard, the forecast called for a 70% probability of higher than average temperatures, but it didn't turn out that way. We too had some hot days, but mostly we experienced temperatures that were slightly below average. On the other hand, we only had one very small rains storm, so the rain forecast was dead on.

June was... Cooler than average (58.2?F versus an average of 58.8 )
                 Dryer than average (0.10 in versus an average total of 0.63)
                 Windier than average (a wind run of 3253 miles versus an average of 2969)
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
What has been the climate for July according to WeatherCat?
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2018, 11:14:08 PM »
Dear WeatherCat really localized climate watchers,

Another month has ended so it is time to get WeatherCat's opinion on how it compared to "normal" at your weather station.  Here is what WeatherCat reported to WeatherCatRCP at the end of the day for Canebas weather station:

So indeed Northern California has experienced a shift from below normal temperatures to above normal - although this cannot be outside of one standard deviation, so more likely it should count as normal.

On the other hand, there are numerous other indicators that the days in July were warmer than normal.  I don't think we have ever run the air conditioner as much in a month as this July.  The plants, wildlife and me are all suffering!  [sweat2]  So far we have not had any wildfires that were very close, but California hasn't been very lucky with that either.  So things have changed and most definitely not for the better.

Oh well, . . . . . Edouard

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2018, 12:01:43 AM »
Here in the mountains of Northern Utah:

July was...
     Warmer than average (65.6?F versus an average of 62.9)
     Dryer than average (1.23 in versus an average total of 1.55)
     Windier than average (a wind run of 3195 miles versus an average of 3010)
Blick

JosBaz

• Strong Breeze
    • INBRSON2
    • Weatherstation Son en Breugel, The Netherlands
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Wireless, WeatherCat on Mac OS X 10.13.6
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2018, 07:08:51 AM »
June and July have been exceptionally hot, sunny and dry in the Netherlands as a result of persistent High pressure zones over (North) Western Europe.

We've only had 4.4mm (0.17 inch) of rain since mid June -- versus the 'normal' of approximately 100mm (4 inch) -- resulting in a record drought, surpassing the dry summer of 1976.
Several other records were broken:
- with 341hrs of sunshine, July was the sunniest month on record (11 hours a day on average!).
- on 27 July, the temperature did not drop below 23.1C; the highest minimum temperature ever recorded - beating the previous record by more than 2 degrees(!).
- for the first time ever, the Netherlands recorded average temperatures (over 24hrs) of more than 30 C. Not in my area ('only' 29.5C).

Close to the German border, maximum temperatures of 38.2C were recorded, only 0.4C below the all time record of 38.6C recorded in 1944.
My PWS recorded a maximum of 36.9C on both 26 and 27 July.

So far no changes in August: still no rain and yesterday again a maximum of 34.6C.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2018, 05:28:12 PM »
Wow. I lived in Maastricht years ago and I know this is extreme weather for Nederland.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
High pressures behaving differently (Re: What has been the climate . . . ?)
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2018, 10:59:12 PM »
Dear Jos, Blick, and WeatherCat climate watchers,

Our family has been watching the heat situation in Western Europe since we still have relatives in France.  Indeed the situation has government officials concerned since air conditioning is still fairly rare in my homes and apartments.  That is one of the perils of being a comparatively old country.

The stagnant weather pattern is also occurring over the Western United States with the four-corners high pressure being remarkably stable and resilient.  I don't know where to look for this sort of information, but I would be curious to know if the global weather pattern is unusually stagnant for this time for summer in the Northern Hemisphere.  It is still early, but thus far, the Atlantic hurricane season remains quiet.

Oh well, . . . . . Edouard

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
What has been the climate for August according to WeatherCat?
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2018, 10:23:30 PM »

Another month has come to a close so it is time to ask WeatherCat how the month departed from past experience.  Here is what WeatherCatRCP reports for Canebas Weather Station:

The temperature data is so close that it must be considered normal, although the winds seem significantly calmer than in past years.  I was surprised a bit by the low temperature, but this does appear to be normal for the San Francisco Bay Area in August.  The National Weather Service discussion called it the "season of status."  My guess is that the climate for August tends to be a bit stagnant across the country.  As a result, our interior continues to be extremely hot.  Hot air rises and is replaced in our case by much cooler ocean air.  So we get a reprieve from the heat before the off-shore wind events start in the last summer and into autumn.

So what does WeatherCat report in other parts of the world?

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2018, 08:37:54 PM »
Here in the mountains of Northern Utah:

August was...
     Warmer than average (62.1?F versus an average of 60.0)
     Dryer than average (0.88 in versus an average total of 1.90)
     Windier than average (a wind run of 3248 miles versus an average of 3177)
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
What has been the climate for Sept. according to WeatherCat?
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2018, 10:45:32 PM »
Dear WeatherCat observers of your local climate,

Another month has come to a close so we can ask WeatherCat what the conditions have been like.  As usual, I'll let WeatherCatRCP do the talking:

As you can see, WeatherCatRCP is clearly optimized more for new iPhones, but the key bit of information is that indeed the temperatures has been below normal for September in the San Francisco East Bay.  While this might still be within one standard deviation, it is nonetheless surprising since the climate forecast was for above normal temperatures and September is traditionally one of the hottest months of the year in coastal Northern California.

So what did WeatherCat observe for all you other station owners in WeatherCatLand?

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2018, 02:10:41 AM »
Here's the report for the mountains of Northern Utah. September had the lowest precipitation total of any month we have lived here.
Blick

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2018, 03:29:10 PM »
September was...
   Warmer than average (68.3?F versus an average of 64.7)
   Dryer than average (3.20 in versus an average total of 3.94)
   Calmer than average (a wind run of 968 miles versus an average of 1445)
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
What has been the climate for October according to WeatherCat?
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2018, 09:42:20 PM »

Another month has come to a close so we can ask WeatherCat how the climate has been compared to all the data collected by our weather stations.  Here is what WeatherCatRCP reports for Canebas weather station:

I was shocked to see that the temperature is basically normal.  It sure has felt warmer than normal with all the off-shore wind events.  Those wind events are clearly reflected in the wind run data.  Alas, the rainfall also reflects a dominant high pressure pattern keeping the storms away. 

Such are da' conditions that prevail here in Coastal Northern California.

Oh well, Edouard

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2018, 10:40:09 PM »
October was...
   Cooler than average (54.1?F versus an average of 54.6)
   Dryer than average (3.46 in versus an average total of 4.41)
   Calmer than average (a wind run of 2375 miles versus an average of 2632)
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2018, 01:29:47 AM »
In Utah ...
Blick