Author Topic: WeatherCat crashing  (Read 10411 times)

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: WeatherCat crashing
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2018, 11:02:22 PM »
I was a beta tester as well and had no problems. However, my camera is wireless. I did try to use a very inexpensive Chinese camera that someone gave me. I was never able to get my iMac to recognize the camera. I played with it for three days, tried to get tech support from the manufacturer but nobody there spoke English and all the written instructions were for Micro$ft Windoze. Eventually I bit the bullet, purchased a brand name camera (Sharx) that worked right out of the box with no fiddling required. With webcams, you get what you pay for.
Blick

Terryap

• Gentle Breeze
    • IPENYRHE3
  • Station Details: Aercus WS3083
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2018, 10:49:44 AM »
Many thanks for the replies.

WC 2 had no problem identifying the iSight (although WC3 would not load when it was enabled) and WC3 had no problem identifying the USB webcam.  I disabled the webcam from WC yesterday and WC has been steady since.  The webcam is still however connected to my Mac mini and I can use it with other applications with no problems.
Best wishes

Terry

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2018, 03:52:26 PM »
Still wondering exactly how the video is "viewed". :) Web browser? Flash?? QuickTime viewer? Finder 'preview' window? I believe you said it had no "software", yet it must be creating some kind of file that is dumped/stored even if it is just RAM space. 8)
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

Terryap

• Gentle Breeze
    • IPENYRHE3
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2018, 05:22:30 PM »
WC has now been working without problems for 5 days.  No webcam enabled.

Xair - It is a "plug and play" camera and only works through appropriate software such as Skype or WeatherCat.

WC instantly identified it as a USB webcam option in the preferences when it was plugged in. 

A scan of the manual is attached. 
Best wishes

Terry

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2018, 06:10:28 PM »
only works through appropriate software
Yep. WC doesn't qualify as that kind of software. [banghead] Hopefully, you can use it with Skype or similar software. I assume you've been viewing the video from Finder (double-clicking the software?). :)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Webcam clashing with WeatherCat 3 code. (Re: WeatherCat crashing)
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2018, 10:34:39 PM »
Dear Terry, X-Air, and WeatherCat troubleshooters,

Xair - It is a "plug and play" camera and only works through appropriate software such as Skype or WeatherCat.

Even if the problems started with WeatherCat 3, most likely the problem remains the webcam.  WeatherCat 3 has been completely reworked to be a 64-bit application.  That included reworking the webcam controlling code.  One of the benefits is that we have much greater control of our webcam images.  Alas, that doesn't guarantee that all devices will work properly.  I don't know what the problem is exactly, but something in all the changes between WeatherCat 2 and 3 have caused your webcam to no longer work properly with WeatherCat.   Considering that you are the only WeatherCat user experiencing these sorts of problems, the path of least resistance is for you to upgrade to a better webcam.   A quick scan of Amazon suggests you can upgrade for less than it cost you to upgrade from WeatherCat 2 to 3.  For a bit more, you can obtain a much better webcam who's improved image quality will make wonder why you waited so long to upgrade!  :)

Cheers, Edouard

Terryap

• Gentle Breeze
    • IPENYRHE3
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2018, 09:15:51 AM »
Thanks all

As I mentioned above my previous webcam was an Apple iSight which caused WC2 to crash at very regular intervals and did not allow WC3 to run at all.  I would have thought that a genuine Apple product would be OK.  Both webcams work fine with other software. 

WC is steady as a rock without a webcam.  It is not that important really, rather than buy yet another webcam I think I will not bother. 

Thanks for the replies anyway, much appreciated.
Best wishes

Terry

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2018, 04:03:26 PM »
I think Apple stopped selling those about 10 years ago... not sure how they were designed to be used with other, non-Apple software or what format they might have used. "Webcam" does not really apply to any camera that can be attached to a computer although the maker may create software that allows them to be used that way. I think most of cameras that are used by WC are designed to actually store the images somewhere on the computer or include a specific address/location where the output can be accessed. Simply displaying an real-time image on the computer screen is probably not enough for WC.