Author Topic: Exporting data  (Read 2572 times)

senorwx

• Gentle Breeze
    • KNHKEENE28
  • Station Details: Davis VantagePro2 - iMac 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - 6 GB Memory - OS X v 10.13.6
Exporting data
« on: March 10, 2016, 08:17:00 PM »
I'm moving my weather station to a new location, but would like to leave behind the eight year da base for friends.

I've tried the Export function in the tools menu, but that repeatedly exports only the first three or four fields...date, time, sky conditions.

Ideally I'd like a file that folks could open in Numbers or Excel spreadsheet.

Any ideas?bthanks!
 [sweat]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Export function works fine for small ranges (Re: Exporting data)
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 10:57:51 PM »
Dear senorwx and WeatherCat data sharers,

I'm moving my weather station to a new location, but would like to leave behind the eight year da base for friends.

I've tried the Export function in the tools menu, but that repeatedly exports only the first three or four fields...date, time, sky conditions.

Ideally I'd like a file that folks could open in Numbers or Excel spreadsheet.

Any ideas?bthanks!

I just ran a test exporting the first 10 days of March data from WeatherCat into Excel and it worked perfectly.  All fields were exported and Excel had no problem importing the data.

Could you have some incomplete data at the time you first set up your station?  Try exporting data from another time period and see if that works.

Keep us posted on what you uncover.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

The Grand Poohbah

• Gale
  • Developer of WeatherCat for iOS, tvOS, and watchOS
    • EW6355 KCANEVAD43
    • Hopeful Hill Ranch
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2, aspirated, solar radiation, uv, soil temp and moisture
Re: Exporting data
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2016, 09:20:11 PM »
I just ran a test exporting the first 10 days of March data from WeatherCat into Excel and it worked perfectly.  All fields were exported and Excel had no problem importing the data.

I tried the export and got something else. First I selected 4 years of weather data to export and clicked "Preview". The beachball spun for a very long time and then WeatherCat terminated. I thought 4 years might be too ambitious, so I restarted WeatherCat, selected "Last Week" and clicked "Export". That produced a CSV file that Excel could read just fine. Then I checked the "Use Tab Delimiters" and exported again. The result was a tab-delimited spreadsheet file with a ".csv" extension. If you drag that file into Excel, it does not parse it correctly. All the readings go into the first column. When I changed the extension to ".txt" and dragged it into Excel, it did parse it correctly. I would expect WeatherCat to write a ".txt" file if "Use Tab Delimiters" is checked.

WeatherCat version 2.23 Build 14 (2.2.3)

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
Re: Exporting data
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2016, 01:01:55 PM »
If you're only seeing three or four fields in the spreadsheet the issue will either be a). The separator character (tabs or commas) not being automatically detected by the spreadsheet - in this case you can normally tell it what it is. Or b). Line endings - some software expects windows line endings and WeatherCat outputs OS X.

Sadly there is no standard for csv files (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comma-separated_values) so it's sometimes a case of trial and error to get the spreadsheet software to read the data correctly :(

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Excel's import wizard really helps (Re: Exporting data)
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2016, 10:56:10 PM »
Howdy Grand, Stu and WeatherCat data managers,

Sadly there is no standard for csv files (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comma-separated_values) so it's sometimes a case of trial and error to get the spreadsheet software to read the data correctly :(

If you are trying to import into Excel, it really helps to use the Excel import wizard instead of say dragging the file over to the application.  As you follow the steps, it shows up a preview of what data is getting imported.  If it doesn't look correct, you can usually see the setting that is incorrect for the data file you are trying to import.  It takes a little more time, is likely to avoid the trial and error.

Cheers, Edouard