Author Topic: Review & Testing of Davis Leaf & Soil Moisture/Temp Station  (Read 35103 times)

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
Re: Review & Testing of Davis Leaf & Soil Moisture/Temp Station
« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2012, 06:35:16 PM »
New base? Do you mean the transmitter for the soil/leaf station? If so, it can be anywhere that the signal can reach your Envoy. The ISS doesn't receive the signal from the soil/leaf station. It goes directly to the Console and/or Envoy.

Remember that you will need to set the soil/leaf station transmitter to a different channel than the ISS, and turn on that channel in the Console and/or Envoy.

Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

jg

• Strong Breeze
« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2012, 06:36:35 PM »
Thanks.  I haven't played with the Envoy in years, how hard is it to turn on the channel?  I'll locate it closer to the soil I want to monitor.

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2012, 08:45:10 PM »
With the Console, you just go through the setup menu as shown in the manual. With the Envoy, you will need to use Davis' WeatherLink for Mac software to do the setup.

Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

jg

• Strong Breeze
« Reply #48 on: July 26, 2012, 08:46:50 PM »
I have no idea where the WeatherLink original CD is, can I download?

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2012, 01:50:11 AM »
It doesn't show on their web page. You can call Davis to see if they will let you.
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

jg

• Strong Breeze
« Reply #50 on: July 29, 2012, 09:39:36 PM »
So I could use the Leaf/Soil sensor with my Envoy and my Vantage Vue, I just won't be able to see the readings on the console, only through WeatherCat, right?  Is there any limit on how many soil temp/moisture probes WeatherCat can handle?

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2012, 02:39:30 AM »
The leaf/soil station's transmitter will not be received by your Vantage Vue. The Envoy would receive the signal directly from the leaf/soil station transmitter, though. Then the data will show in WeatherCat. The Leaf/Soil station varies how it can be setup, and the manual on Davis' site goes into detail on this.

The maximum that can be attached to a fully populated Leaf/Soil station transmitter is 2 leaf wetness sensors, 4 soil moisture sensors, and 4 soil temperature probes.

If you look in WeatherCat's Tools menu --> Live Data, you will see that Stu has allocated channels for up to 4 leaf wetness sensors, so you can actually use WeatherCat with more than one Leaf/Soil Station transmitter.

I hope that helps,
Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

jg

• Strong Breeze
« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2012, 02:46:36 AM »
Steve,

I looked at your site and it doesn't look like you are archiving the soil temp/moisture data?  Will Weathercat include them in the stats?

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
« Reply #53 on: July 30, 2012, 02:24:32 PM »
Steve,

I looked at your site and it doesn't look like you are archiving the soil temp/moisture data?  Will Weathercat include them in the stats?

I don't have the soil data linked to my web site. I didn't think folks would be interested in how much moisture was in my garden soil, and I don't really have it presented as well as the other web pages. HERE is a direct link to the soil page.

WeatherCat does NOT include soil/leaf data in the daily or monthly reports, although the information is in the raw data stored by WeatherCat. If enough of us end up with soil data, perhaps Stu might add an option for additional reporting.

Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

jg

• Strong Breeze
« Reply #54 on: July 30, 2012, 04:36:36 PM »
Steve,

I don't have the soil data linked to my web site. I didn't think folks would be interested in how much moisture was in my garden soil, and I don't really have it presented as well as the other web pages. HERE is a direct link to the soil page.

WeatherCat does NOT include soil/leaf data in the daily or monthly reports, although the information is in the raw data stored by WeatherCat. If enough of us end up with soil data, perhaps Stu might add an option for additional reporting.

Steve

Thanks.

jg

• Strong Breeze
« Reply #55 on: August 06, 2012, 03:28:54 AM »
I have it running,  you can see the readings and graph here:

http://www.jgweather.info/StowWeather/index.html

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Congrats JC! (Re: Davis Leaf & Soil Moisture/Temp Station)
« Reply #56 on: August 06, 2012, 09:02:16 PM »
Howdy WeatherCat fans!

Congrats JC on getting your website up and running.  Looks nice!!  [tup]

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
« Reply #57 on: August 13, 2012, 04:53:45 PM »
I have it running,  you can see the readings and graph here:

http://www.jgweather.info/StowWeather/index.html

Cool! Looks great. I've been out of town, so I just saw your post. Glad I could help get things going for you,
Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA