Author Topic: New Weather Instrument available soon.....  (Read 3887 times)

Doc

• Strong Breeze
  • Fly by night Eccentric
    • N9CXI
    • kinnindia
    • N9CXI Eastwood Indianapolis Indiana WX station
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2, Mac mini, 2gig Ram 25tb storage, 1 weather web cams.
New Weather Instrument available soon.....
« on: April 01, 2012, 06:13:12 PM »
Folks, the researcher that I have been working with for the last few years and I have finally come through with a new weather instrument that may revolutionize personal weather stations the world over.  This new instrument allows a user station to have a data collection device that works in a way similar to radar imaging, but in a passive way and without the need of complex and expensive hardware that is necessary for radar.  This new device uses a combination if video cameras, laser scanners and Infrared cameras to develop a 3D image on a 360 degree plane from a central collection point.  This data is then fed into an imaging algorithm which converts it into a 3D image of the area from the central point out to the viewable horizon.  In most areas this is about a seven mile radius.  The only requirement is having the instrument mounted at a hight great enough to be over the surrounding structures nearby.  My station is using a 200 foot tower to support the system.  Once set up, the instrument is capable of showing wind structures in the cloud base that can be interpreted by the algorithm and alerts set for high winds, straight line winds, and even tornados can be made.  Eventually we hope to be able to incorporate the system into a national alert system.  The initial cost of a single system was well over $100,000 but thanks to cheaper, internet purchased chinese video systems and lasers we have been able to bring the cost to under $600, less the price of the mounting structure.  We feel this can even be easily incorporated into WC just by using the current weather cam system, replacing the weather cam image with our custom generated image. 

Currently we are looking for alpha testers willing to put up a system and mount them on structures from 20 feet to 200 feet above the ground in your area.  So if you are interested, please send me a message with the system name in the subject.

Subject:  American Pseudo Radar Imaging Laser Finding Optic Operational Limiting System
Attention:  Igor Pulyn Yerleeg, PhD

[wink]
Take care and have fun!  Slainte Mah!

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
Re: New Weather Instrument available soon.....
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 08:12:49 PM »
That's incredible Doc! I've read papers about measuring the cloud-base using widely spaced web-cams (i.e. http://e-collection.library.ethz.ch/eserv/eth:26949/eth-26949-01.pdf ) , but this is a whole new ball game! I'd be more than willing to get it integrated and tested (I can manage a 33ft mounting).

Cheers,
Stu.
 [lol]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Available only on . . . April 1st? (Re: New Weather Instrument)
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 09:36:32 PM »
Well now, welcome to April Doc!  ;)

Folks, the researcher that I have been working with for the last few years and I have finally come through with a new weather instrument that may revolutionize personal weather stations the world over.

So tell me, when does it start collecting data . . . . midnight April 1 to midnight April 2?  . . . .  ;D

The initial cost of a single system was well over $100,000 but thanks to cheaper, internet purchased Chinese video systems and lasers we have been able to bring the cost to under $600

Does the reduced cost even provide improved working conditions for those oppressed Chinese workers slaving to make Apple products?  ::)

Currently we are looking for alpha testers willing to put up a system and mount them on structures from 20 feet to 200 feet above the ground in your area.  So if you are interested, please send me a message with the system name in the subject.

Doc, I'm disappointed in you . . . don't you want us to send a check . . . quickly, before we wise-up . . . . errr, change our minds?

Do hope no one's legs were pulled too hard in the creation of this "New Weather Instrument"  [biggrin]

Happy April fools everyone!!  [lol2]

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Doc

• Strong Breeze
  • Fly by night Eccentric
    • N9CXI
    • kinnindia
    • N9CXI Eastwood Indianapolis Indiana WX station
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2, Mac mini, 2gig Ram 25tb storage, 1 weather web cams.
Re: Available only on . . . April 1st? (Re: New Weather Instrument)
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 04:12:46 AM »

Do hope no one's legs were pulled too hard in the creation of this "New Weather Instrument"  [biggrin]

Happy April fools everyone!!  [lol2]

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]
=====================================================

You got that, but didn't get the name of the instrument?  HMMMMM.

Stu, thanks for the article, I read that a long time ago.  I'm just a tester on the actual system.  The boss knows more about it than I do  [interesting]

Take care and have fun!  Slainte Mah!

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Confess - didn't look! (Re: New Weather Instrument)
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 08:08:37 PM »
Howdy Doc and WeatherCat fans,  [cat]

You got that, but didn't get the name of the instrument?  HMMMMM.

I confess . . . the name looked perfectly boilerplate, but . . . . I didn't look hard enough to decode the initials.  Not much of an April fools fan these days.  Sure feel like way too many fools are in positions of power making serious decisions that hurt people instead of helping . . . . .  :'(

Cheers, Edouard