Author Topic: Cannot Connect  (Read 17838 times)

rcnz

• Gentle Breeze
    • IAUCKLAN159
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Vue Pro2, iMac (OS X 10.11.2)
Re: Cannot Connect
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2015, 06:00:15 AM »
Alas: I'm similarly afflicted.

I've had WC OS X/iOS since I got my weather station (4 years+), and am delighted with all Apps.

Running:

iOS 8.3:

iPhone WC 1.3 (140919)
  iPad WC 2.0 (150221)

OS X 10.10.3

WC OS X 2.00 Build 4475 (2.0.0)

WC on Mac is faithfully uploading to WU (IAUCKLAN159)

WC iOS receives both trixology-test dyn sites' info OK

When I select Local on the iPad, the "Checking the connection" changes immediately to "Searching for local" -  that screen stays for ages, then the screen displays the internet (trixology) info, while the Settings page stays on Local.

When I select Local on the iPhone, the "Checking the connection" message stays for ages, but the screen displays the internet (trixology) info, but the Settings page stays on Local

This has gone on since around the date of the first post to this thread.

I update my OS X within days of releases; iOS ditto; App updates ditto, especially WX apps. This problem began while Mavericks was running, but didn't coincide with Mavericks' installation.

VERY grateful for any new tips (tried all here to date; haven't deleted/reinstalled WC OS X)

Thanks,

Robin..

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2015, 09:14:20 AM »
It's got something to do with Yosemite, but I can't figure out what. Sometimes, when I reboot OS X, the WC iOS apps stop working and they stay stopped until some subsequent reboot, when they suddenly start working and stay working for long periods of time. It's not every reboot, just some, but it is definitely rebooting that changes the connectivity of the apps. When one connects, all iOS devices can connect. When one cannot connect, none can. That is why I have ruled out the device and determined that it is OS X. Since I reinstalled OS X, the iOS devices have properly connected more often than they have failed to connect. And once they start, they will connect every time, until a subsequent reboot prevents them from connecting. It is very frustrating.
Blick

rcnz

• Gentle Breeze
    • IAUCKLAN159
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Vue Pro2, iMac (OS X 10.11.2)
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2015, 09:45:45 AM »
Thanks, Blicj11.

This began before Yosemite, during Mavericks' reign.

Are you suggesting I re-install Yosemite?

I've done many reboots of the Mac, but while they fixed the problem needing the reboot, WC wasn't affected.

STOP PRESS: I've just restarted OS X WC, and both iThingies are back with WC Local!

Perhaps we were too eager to laugh at the daffodils...

Your post prompted me to try a restart of WC, so double thanks.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2015, 09:48:26 AM »
Glad to hear it. Don't know why this does not affect all iOS users, but it just seems to be a few of us. I'm curious about the age of your iMac. Mine is a late 2013 model.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Yosemite WiFi is still messed up. (Re: Cannot Connect)
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2015, 10:46:39 PM »
Dear Blick, rcnz, and WeatherCat system administrators,

Unfortunately even the current versions of OS X and iOS still has some serious WiFi bugs.  iTunes is unable to maintain connection to either my iPhone or iPad over our WiFi network, when all WiFi devices in the house work just fine.  Rebooting the Mac does help, but after a day or so iTunes will lose the connection again.  Leaving users without this sort of core functionality for so long is really inexcusable.  Apple really needs to get its act together and get is back to the stability of Snow Leopard.

Edouard

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2015, 09:59:02 PM »
Just noticed both the iPad and iPhone had "lost connection". I've been 'messin' with WeatherCat on a different Mac last weekend, so I assume that I had done something to cause this. I'll re-boot the mini and see if things return to what passes for normal in my life! [lol]

That seems to have fixed things. [cheer]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
My installs okay - for now! (Re: Cannot Connect)
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2015, 11:25:32 PM »
Dear xairbusdriver and WeatherCat gadget junkies . . .

Just noticed both the iPad and iPhone had "lost connection".

Since you raised the question, I just double-checked and both my iPhone and iPad connect fine to WeatherCat - at the moment!  I've never had problems, but it could be that Bonjour doesn't work as well with some WiFi setups.  It is odd because Blick has an Apple WiFi access spot if I recall correctly, while I have an old NetGear access point running 3rd party firmware!

Ours is not to reason . . . . .

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2015, 11:38:03 PM »
Now that I have a site up & running, the iOS app is just not used very much. I tried entering my site's url, but it would not connect. I assume the app doesn't use the data on that web site. That's probably why Stu has his/a url already in the "Internet 1" & "Internet 2" buttons. Unfortunately, the weather at his location is usually much different than mine...  [lol]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2015, 01:46:17 PM »
Stu did not develop the iOS app. It is from the Grand Poobah. Grand has Stu's URL in the app to test the Internet connection. The theory is if they will connect to Stu's site, they should connect to your site, if you have the settings properly sorted on your router.

From The Grand Poobah himself, earlier in this thread:

There are a few things that you can check although I suspect you've already done this:

1. Change the settings on your iOS device to "Local" to verify that you can get any data.
2. Change the settings on your iOS device to the trixology-test address to verify that you can get data over the Internet.
3. Inspect the router administration page to verify that a private fixed IP address is still assigned to your host computer.
4. Inspect the host computer Network settings panel to verify that the private fixed IP address is being used.
5. Inspect the router settings to verify that the port range 49250 to 49254 is assigned the the private fixed IP address.

Number 3 is especially important if you have moved your WeatherCat installation to a new computer.

If you have already done all of these and still no joy, which is what happened to me, you can try reinstalling Yosemite. Something does not play nice for some issuers only between OS X and the iOS app. Nobody knows what it is. For me, rebooting the machine on which WeatherCat runs will periodically cause the iOS app to stop connecting. Several more reboots will eventually cause the app to start working again. For me, during the times when the app will not connect via the Internet, it always connects locally.

Since this started happening to me, I have noticed that it's all or nothing. In other words, if the iPhone app won't connect, neither will the iPad app. If one of them will connect, they will both connect.

During the times when I can't get the iOS app to connect, I use the WU app to see my weather data, or simply go to my site on my iOS device. But what I love about the iOS app, when it's working, is the ability to see the WeatherCat Core data: Station Comms, Good Data and Comms Errors.
Blick

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2015, 03:11:01 PM »
Felix posted something to try in another thread. http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=1894.msg17417#msg17417

You might give this a shot if you are still having problems.

My iOS apps are currently able to connect. Every once in a great while they fail. For me, eventually, enough reboots of my wireless router seems to solve the connection problems for the apps. I am using a static IP address for my external applications and DHCP with manually assigned IP addresses for all of my hardware. Therefore, my hardware operates on permanently assigned DHCP connections. This type of connection does not provide the option to renew the DHCP address; I could try changing the manual IP address, but that seems like too much work at the minute.
Blick