Author Topic: A squirrel or bird swapped my debris screen with half a white bread/biscuit...  (Read 5809 times)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Nothing above the cone? . . . . .(Re: A squirrel or bird swapped ... )
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2017, 10:09:56 PM »
Dear X-Air, NoWait, and WeatherCat station caregivers in the "great" (great?   ??? ) outdoors,

My Davis is mounted to the galvanized pole which is attached to 7-8ft post with a metal squirrel guard in a 8ft tall closed picket fencing and gates.

WOW!  That sounds like an impregnable defense if I ever heard of one.  Are their any tree branches, utility wires, or other conduits that a critter could use to pass above your cone?  Our squirrels regularly use the power wires to commute from the roof to the nearby trees.  The situation looks like perhaps a critter is accidentally dropping its meal on route.

I will probably hook up my rain collector heater this weekend.  This will melt the snow at temperatures less than 37 degrees (thermostatically controlled).  This will likely keep the squirrel's breakfast warm... :)

[wink] . . . . How thoughtful!  That should get you an award from the SPCA! . . . .  lol(1)

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
I will probably hook up my rain collector heater this weekend.  This will melt the snow at temperatures less than 37 degrees (thermostatically controlled).

I've used the Davis rain collector heater for a couple of years now. It works very well.
Blick

nowait

• Strong Breeze
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Wireless (Heated) on a Snow Leopard Mac Mini
I've had mine for many years now.  I think it does a very good job.

Nowait

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Not squirrels but spiders! . . . . .(Re: A squirrel or bird swapped ... )
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2017, 10:55:54 PM »
Dear Blick, NoWait, and WeatherCat station caregivers,

I was rushing to get the house ready for the next storm when I noticed a few leaves stuck in the collector cone of my rain gauge.  After uttering the obligatory expletives, I rushed up to see what was going on.  What had happened was too cute not to photograph:

As you can see, the leaves aren't in contact with the collector cone at all.  Instead they are snared in the spider web that has sprung up on the East side of the cone.  That web isn't alone:

You can see the raindrops starting to populate both spider webs.  Here is one last photo:

We are supposed to have a stormy week, so eventually the winds will remove the leaves, but the spider webs may hang on for a bit.  After all, spider web is stronger than steel of the same weight!

nowait

• Strong Breeze
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Wireless (Heated) on a Snow Leopard Mac Mini
 :)

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Nice report and photos to back up your story. Get some rain and then send the storm this way. We are down to 1 inch (of snow) on the ground.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Worry not . . . . an "AR" is coming!! (Re: A squirrel or bird )
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2017, 11:06:26 PM »
Dear NoWait, Blick, and WeatherCat West Coast drought watchers,

Get some rain and then send the storm this way. We are down to 1 inch (of snow) on the ground.

Worry not!  The next storm involves those two words that should be music to your ears: "Atmospheric River!"

nowait

• Strong Breeze
Today I re-installed my trusted Davis heater for the winter.   What did I find?  Another piece of gourd/pumpkin much like the one I reported earlier .  Likely from the same animal!  To make it even better, when the temperatures are 37 degrees or less.. my heater will kick on and warm up the items stashed in my Davis cone.  Nice...

Nowait

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
You need a security camera! (Re: A squirrel or bird)
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2017, 11:48:04 PM »
Dear NoWait and WeatherCat station caregivers,

Today I re-installed my trusted Davis heater for the winter.   What did I find?  Another piece of gourd/pumpkin much like the one I reported earlier .  Likely from the same animal!  To make it even better, when the temperatures are 37 degrees or less.. my heater will kick on and warm up the items stashed in my Davis cone.  Nice...

Wow!  How is this critter getting there to deposit its "stash" in your collector cone?  I wish that you could point a security camera with a motion sensor at your rain gauge.  The footage could be - very interesting! 

nowait

• Strong Breeze
I think my camera maybe too far away to  trigger on the small animal (so far).
I might need to relocate the pole (there's a chance that it may be taking a "leap of faith" get reach it).
I've already begun negotiations with my better half but likely nothing will happen until spring.

nowait

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
With these negotiations dragging on until spring it looks like nowait weather will be waiting. Probably very wise on your part.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Sounds like a squirrel (Re: A squirrel or bird)
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2017, 10:33:03 PM »
Dear NoWait, Blick, and WeatherCat station caregivers,

I might need to relocate the pole (there's a chance that it may be taking a "leap of faith" get reach it).

That does sound more plausible.  Birds should be deterred by the spikes.  Squirrels do make some amazing leaps as part of their normal routine.

I've already begun negotiations with my better half but likely nothing will happen until spring.

Best of luck in those "delicate" negotiations!  :)