Author Topic: Weird thing with my camera ip addresses  (Read 5433 times)

Weatheraardvark

• Gale
  • I hear tornado sirens, lets go climb on the roof
    • C0005
    • KIADESMI1
    • Des Moines Weather and Climate
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 Plus, Fars, Extra sensors
Weird thing with my camera ip addresses
« on: April 16, 2016, 05:28:05 PM »
I thought i would give the web cam one more chance before going with something else.
So  I put in the code and I got an image, but something different than  I thought.    I got another one of my cameras.  So checking, I find that the IP addresses do not match the cameras.  I have never heard of the modem reshuffling the IP addresses to different cameras.

For example the one that looks out at my driveway, has shifted to the camera that should be my weather camera.  I wonder if this is permanent or not.   Weird, just plain weird.   The modem is a Centurylink xyzel.   just got it a couple of months ago . The actiontec just wore out.    The IP addresses and ports are fine with them,

In any case right now I have a webcam image and I shouldn't complain, right????
Davis VP2 Plus; 24h  FARS; Extra Temp Humid sensor (2); Extra Temp Station (2);;Weatherlink IP;USB; MAC Ventura 13.3

; https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddablePage/show/8a7585dd06404bde81d5229b09f84ebb/summary

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: Weird thing with my camera ip addresses
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2016, 05:36:45 PM »

Right.

On my setup I reserve an IP address in my router for each webcam, based in the webcam's MAC address. That way the IP address is always static.
Blick

Weatheraardvark

• Gale
    • C0005
    • KIADESMI1
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2016, 06:42:27 PM »
so much for celebrating, it jumped back to normal.   So.. I researched and this happens to FOSCAMS.  I am going with something else
Davis VP2 Plus; 24h  FARS; Extra Temp Humid sensor (2); Extra Temp Station (2);;Weatherlink IP;USB; MAC Ventura 13.3

; https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddablePage/show/8a7585dd06404bde81d5229b09f84ebb/summary

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2016, 06:53:54 PM »
Several of us use Sharx webcams. They have US-based tech support and work out of the box.

https://www.sharxsecurity.com
Blick

Weatheraardvark

• Gale
    • C0005
    • KIADESMI1
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2016, 07:51:52 PM »

Right.

On my setup I reserve an IP address in my router for each webcam, based in the webcam's MAC address. That way the IP address is always static.
I already have that done and also the dynamic Dyndnns  set in the router so I don't have to worry about things changing when the modem's IP address changes.
I have been thinking about going with no-ip  when my contract with dyndns.org expires in June

dfw_pilot

• Gale
    • GW3252
    • KTNWILLI1
    • WX Page
  • Station Details: Davis Pro2 Plus
NoIP
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2016, 12:11:23 AM »
I went with NoIP because it is cheaper than Dyn. However, be advised that their Apple IP updater daemon doesn't start automatically after a reboot. It's not a big deal, but you have to restart the daemon upon computer restart.

As far as camera IPs jumping around, I have 8 Foscams and don't have this problem. No offense intended, but you may want to look again at your router settings. You need both a static WAN IP (NoIP, Dyn) and static LAN IP addresses. IP cameras are "dumb" by nature and only follow the rules set for them from their DNS host. Double, and then triple check that you have them assigned static IP addresses, and importantly, that those static addresses are OUTSIDE the dynamic range you have set aside for dynamically assigned devices. Buy new IP cameras if you like, I just don't want you to spend money on new cameras only to find this happens again.
A clear conscience is a great pillow.

Weatheraardvark

• Gale
    • C0005
    • KIADESMI1
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2016, 12:46:57 AM »
For 40 dollars a year that isn't bad with dyndns.org.  I have the settings on the modem so as the IP address changes (Centurylink likes doing that for some odd reason periodically),
things stay in sync.

the only other time the IP addresses changed was when Centurylink came out and put in a new modem. The old one was dropping carrier signal and I kept saying "It's the modem" and they kept fiddling with wires that came into the house to the modem. Fortunately I had a tech who listened to me and things are resolved.  I said to him "I know about these things, I come from a 33.3bps world" he had no clue.

I used to use Blue Iris and had no problems ever  with the same IP addresses and ports.   I had to find an app / program that worked sort of like I wanted.  UNET Cams and it does a fair job.    It stores snapshots on the HD  and the videos go to my google drive.  Not the ideal arrangement.  Unfortunately like the Foscams, each snap shot  has a date and time added to the dang name.  Foscam used to have on their older models that it would ftp with the same file name and overwrite each time,.  They don't do that any more.   I did have a conversation with foscam  about that.  First they referred me to their camera software people in China.  I was told two things, one that it was the Texas office who wrote the software and the second time I called that they had no intention of making that happen.   The Texas folks told me to call China again and I declined.   So when Blue iris came out  it was what I needed.

Then I also used Weatherdisplay and had no problems with  the camera loading up.

I can see the program in the Browser. I use Firefox but do use Safari for some things. On Weathercat it doesn't work for some reason. I have tried all of my 9 cameras. I have P9826, 32, C1,21.   None will cooperate with Weathercat, but everything else,  no problem.   I even have an app on my phone that I can be in another city and it works fine with the cameras.

My theories are maybe something in this computer doesn't like  the cameras .  Not sure if it is a security issue or just what.

When I said I was thinking of another camera,  I going to get a D-link , simple and see if it works.  IF it generates a single snapshop, I can have it running in the back ground and drop the item into a folder that I can snag.

The camera settings are;  http://192.168.0.34:8106/snapshot.cgi?user=Kitchen2&pwd=aardvark1&resolution=32

I have no idea of why things scrambled around and worked before dropping back into hell..   The only thing I had running last night was Weathercat and Unet cams.   

Where is Sherlock Holmes when we need him?

dfw_pilot

• Gale
    • GW3252
    • KTNWILLI1
    • WX Page
Link
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2016, 12:51:23 AM »
The camera settings are;  http://192.168.0.34:8106/snapshot.cgi?user=Kitchen2&pwd=aardvark1&resolution=32

FYI, that link won't work for anyone that isn't connected to your local network . . .

Weatheraardvark

• Gale
    • C0005
    • KIADESMI1
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2016, 12:58:08 AM »
Sure, but that link is hopefully the correct setting for Weathercat to access the camera to take a snapshot.  It doesn't work outside the network and isn't supposed to . That is the one I used with my Weatherdisplay webcamcapture.exe  program.

It has to be something with the OSX

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2016, 04:50:33 AM »
That link looks like it is to access an app or an API ("snapshot.cgi") that would display the camera image. That's why it has attributes for your password and resolution. I suspect that link simply connected your camera to the FOSCOM space and probably to your own network at the same time.

If you are running as Admin, there's not much point in providing your password if it's staying on your computer. I suspect that password was for the FOSCOM storage space. OS X does not send your computer access password to any outside entity. I can only hope that the app used some form of hashing and did not send that password in plain text!
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

dfw_pilot

• Gale
    • GW3252
    • KTNWILLI1
    • WX Page
Credentials
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2016, 05:09:26 AM »
Those credentials in the URL are so the browser can access the video stream from the camera. Those aren't his computer credentials. Foscams, and I'm sure others, can setup a user name and password that are monitor (guest) only and cannot access the admin section of the camera. To skip the login process, the user name and password credentials are entered into the url so the browser may go straight to the video stream.

Weatheraardvark

• Gale
    • C0005
    • KIADESMI1
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2016, 05:24:58 AM »
so, what would anyone suggest that i put in for the ip address etc,

What goes into that area. If I put in the ip address:port   that does not work.   What do I put in there to make the program  recognize that camera?

Weatheraardvark

• Gale
    • C0005
    • KIADESMI1
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2016, 05:28:13 AM »
That link looks like it is to access an app or an API ("snapshot.cgi") that would display the camera image. That's why it has attributes for your password and resolution. I suspect that link simply connected your camera to the FOSCOM space and probably to your own network at the same time.

If you are running as Admin, there's not much point in providing your password if it's staying on your computer. I suspect that password was for the FOSCOM storage space. OS X does not send your computer access password to any outside entity. I can only hope that the app used some form of hashing and did not send that password in plain text!

the camera even for me to access requires a user name and a password.   Now  what do you use to put into that  file to url space?   that might solve it.

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2016, 02:37:08 PM »
The url I have in WC is to the file that the camera creates: http://10.0.1.10:80/live/0/jpeg.jpg. WC simply takes those snapshots and stitches them together to make a QuickTime movie (basically a time lapse using a new snapshot every two minutes). I'm not using a live, streaming feed, we have other uses for the monthly bandwidth Comcast "gives" us! :LOL:

I have not noticed what video/image format choices your camera uses. If it's only WMV, it may need conversion before it can be used from your Mac.

There is a Mac only app that many use called Evocam. That might be of help to you. Lastly, there are many apps that can report any IP-based device you might have connected. I use <IP Scanner Home (the free version). You might find it helpful in discovering the address you need to use. If memory serves, you need to have the Mac set the IP address, not the modem/router, since the Mac is usually in control of the network, your set up may be different.

Finally (that's even later than "lastly"!), you may need to scour the manual/web site instructions/etc. for Mac details. ;)

BTW, your ability to actually talk to some one is somewhat surprising, I managed to do that only once that I can remember. I usually grew tired of being on hold, otherwise. [rolleyes2] [banghead] I was fortunate in being able to return the camera and finally bought a US-supported Sharx. [cheer]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

dfw_pilot

• Gale
    • GW3252
    • KTNWILLI1
    • WX Page
DNS Server
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2016, 02:41:44 PM »
If memory serves, you need to have the Mac set the IP address, not the modem/router, since the Mac is usually in control of the network, your set up may be different.

This would only be true if your Mac was also a server, and setup to be a DNS server. Otherwise, the IP address assignments, static or otherwise, come from the DNS host on your local lan, i.e. the router.