General Category > General Discussion

Relocating The WeatherCat Software to a New Platform

(1/3) > >>

Bull Winkus:
When replacing the computer platform upon which WeatherCat performs its many tasks, what files/folders must be copied in order to provide uninterrupted service?

The ones I'm aware of:

The WeatherCat Program folder
WeatherCatData in the ~Library folder
4 folders in the Application Support folder
     WCWeb
     WeatherCatCustomWeb
     WeatherCatMedia
     WeatherCatTemp

Is it possible to just download a new zip file and move WeatherCatData, if WU and CWOP are the only Web interactions? Is there a preferences file to be moved as well?

Thanks,
Herb

Randall75:
Hi Herb
 You need the preference file from your home Library-Preferences- com.trixology.WeatherCat.plist
Then move your WeatherCatData over to the new Preferences folder
Then Open the Zip folder and reinstall WeatherCat should now be set to go with out having to redo your preferences

Hope this helps
 [cheers1]

Steve:
Randall is correct on how to install WC on a new computer with your current preferences. But you will lose historic data unless it is copied over as well. It looks like you got most of the folders identified above. Don't forget ~/Documents/WeatherCatReports/ folder.

Steve

elagache:
Hi Herb, Randall, Steve, and WeatherCat fans,

There is a sneaky way I use to remember how to do this.  Stu provides detailed instructions to delete WeatherCat on page 163 of the WeatherCat manual.  In particular Stu mentions:

--- Quote ---To delete files created by WeatherCat, drag the following folders and files to the trash (some of these may not exist): ~/Library/WeatherCatData ~/Library/Application Support/WeatherCatCustomWeb
~/Library/Application Support/WeatherCatMedia ~/Library/Application Support/WeatherCatTemp ~/Library/Application Support/WeatherCatWeb ~/Library/Preferences/com.trixology.weathercat.plist
(where ~ is your home directory).
Note that on OS X 10.7 or later, the Library folder is hidden. You can make it visible again
via the following terminal command:
chflags nohidden ~/Library/
--- End quote ---

The task of moving is almost the same as deleting.  Instead of removing the file, move the file into the identical location on the new machine.  Moving each item this list should be "bullet-proof."

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Bull Winkus:
Thanks Randall, Steve and Edouard. That will help a lot. It's hard to have the mindset to do a task such as this without the confidence to know one is doing it correctly.

FTR, a long test from Apple's Hardware Test software revealed an alert after about an hour and ten minutes.

Alert! Apple Hardware Test has detected an error.
4HDD/11/40000000:sata (0,0)

I'm thinking I can replace the drive myself. I'm looking at the Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB SATA III 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache Internal Desktop Hard Drive or its cousin with 2 TB to partition into two bootable volumes. I figure on one volume for Lion and the other for Snow Leopard.

I've never done this with an iMac before. This is the first time I've had a drive fail in an iMac. I've seen many examples of how to make the exchange from both YouTube and How To. I feel pretty confident about the execution of it. I'm just not sure about my choice of drives. I know that the iMac I'm using uses Serial ATA, but it was manufactured in 2008. 4 years is a long time in computer years. Will the current SATA drives plug into and work with the older SATA interfaces?

The Computer Spec Sheet: http://support.apple.com/kb/SP485
The HDD on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Caviar-Internal-Desktop/dp/B0036Q7MV0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336680273&sr=8-1

TIA,
Herb

EDIT: Note that the 24" screen computer was bought as a refurbish unit with a 500 GB drive in late 2009. It also has the 512 MB video card.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version