Author Topic: Weather Cat version 2.4.4 MacOS Higher Sierra 10.13.3 bug  (Read 24810 times)

N4KHQ

• Gentle Breeze
    • KGADAHLO8
  • Station Details: iMac, Davis Vonage Pro
Re: Weather Cat version 2.4.4 MacOS Higher Sierra 10.13.3 bug
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2018, 12:22:03 AM »
I turned off Amphtamine (app to keep Mac from sleeping) off yesterday. This morning when I checked Weather Underground said I hand not reported in several hours. I went to the iMac running WC and checked WC. Weather underground started receiving data without a restart. WC's Weather Underground page said it was running which was different from when the Pro 2 was dying. Checking the log, I could see time where no data was sent. I now think I have been dealing with 3 different issues. Cloudy plastic on the solar charger letting the Pro 2 die. Weather Underground going down in flames and iMac going to sleep. It going to take more time to determine what I'm thinking is correct.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2018, 01:10:15 AM »
Turn Amphetamine back on and do not make any other changes. If that resolves the issue, the problem is that your Mac goes to sleep when it's not supposed to.
Blick

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2018, 03:35:04 PM »
You'll have to give it a while with WU. They have bigger problems than yours. If you're still off their map come Monday, you can send them an email and point it out to them.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Sad but true - WU woes . . . . (Re: Weather Cat version 2.4.4. . . . )
« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2018, 09:38:22 PM »
Dear N4KHQ, Blick, and WeatherCat faithful,

You'll have to give it a while with WU. They have bigger problems than yours.

Alas, you are so right!  I'm getting the FTP errors associating with uploading my webcam image to Weather Underground once more.  So the crew at WU are still messing with their applications on the Amazon cloud.  Perhaps they should have followed Apple's lead with iCloud and used the Google cloud instead.

Oh well, . . . . . . Edouard

N4KHQ

• Gentle Breeze
    • KGADAHLO8
« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2018, 10:35:17 PM »
Just installed 3.0 official release. Easy install.

N4KHQ

• Gentle Breeze
    • KGADAHLO8
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2018, 12:35:39 PM »
Progress is slow. The issues with Weather underground and weather data uploading seemed to change so often you could not describe the problem. There may still be issue, with weather data uploading and displaying on the Personal Weather Station page. Webcam is a different issue. After 3 days of running perfect (fixed weather station solar charger, and Installed 3.0) I was offline again the morning. See the attached log, WC started logging again as soon as I woke the iMac (space bar at 6:05:03 AM 27 Mar-2018). Amphetamine was running. I had an update ready to install; dialog in the upper right window of the iMac. I have only been down twice after getting the solar panel fixed and I remember another install waiting the other time I was down. I went to the preferences for App store and unchecked automatically check for updates. I keep you posted if I have more problem of let you know if it works more that 3 days.

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2018, 05:13:25 PM »
OFF TOPIC: When waking the Mac (or any computer, really), it is usually completely safe to press the cursor movement keys (up, down, left, right arrow keys). You might be surprised one day if you press any other key when you discover that you just changed the name of your HD to "" or " "! Or you agreed to the "Do you really want to erase this drive" dialog. Oops! [blush]  Never trust a computer to do only what you want! [banghead]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

ELO

• Gentle Breeze
    • KCOBRECK14
    • Weather in the Highlands
  • Station Details: Old Davis WMII, Heated Rain Collector, Mac Mini
« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2018, 09:11:51 PM »
After 3 days of running perfect (fixed weather station solar charger, and Installed 3.0) I was offline again the morning. See the attached log, WC started logging again as soon as I woke the iMac (space bar at 6:05:03 AM 27 Mar-2018). Amphetamine was running. I had an update ready to install; dialog in the upper right window of the iMac. I have only been down twice after getting the solar panel fixed and I remember another install waiting the other time I was down. I went to the preferences for App store and unchecked automatically check for updates. I keep you posted if I have more problem of let you know if it works more that 3 days.

I am experiencing exactly the same issue of late with both WC2xx and now WC3.0. Everything runs perfectly for somewhere between hours and days and then WC seems to hang. My logs look virtually identical to N4KHQ's and like him, simply logging in to the mac mini running WC (directly or remotely) clears the hang and everything works fine until the next time. I have amphetamine running and have tried all the suggestions in this thread thus far. I have tried activating WatchDog to try to clear the hangs. When it is active, I get an email that notes the hang and that WatchDog is initiating a WC restart. The log shows evidence of a restart, but the restart itself hangs part way and doesn?t complete until I log in - without me taking any other action other than logging in. WU may well be the problem, but it seems to me that if it were, more than a couple of us would be seeing the issue.

Other apps I have running full time on the mac mini are Mail, SpamSieve, Network Logger Pro. Background processes are Carbon Copy Cloner, Dropbox, Backblaze, ChronoSync, Amphetamine, BlockBlock, and Dyn Updater. N4KHQ, anything not absolutely mainstream in common?

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2018, 10:22:16 PM »
"without me taking any other action other than logging in" I assume that means the mini may be running 24/7 and that you don't usually do anything on/with it? If not, disregard all the following. If so, what does ChronoSync, BlockBlock and Dyn Updater do? Not sure why you'd need Mail running, and Spamsieve would probably not run without Mail starting up.

ELO

• Gentle Breeze
    • KCOBRECK14
« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2018, 10:51:19 PM »
"without me taking any other action other than logging in" I assume that means the mini may be running 24/7 and that you don't usually do anything on/with it? If not, disregard all the following. If so, what does ChronoSync, BlockBlock and Dyn Updater do? Not sure why you'd need Mail running, and Spamsieve would probably not run without Mail starting up.

My mac mini runs as a household server and is awake 24/7, and no I typically don't do anything with it requiring login or manual interaction unless something needs to be updated, restarted, etc. I typically restart the server every 7-14 days just for good housekeeping purposes. It serves 3 key functions:

-Weather station management via WeatherCat including template and data uploads to Weather Underground, PWS, and my personal site on a 3rd party hosting service.
-Spam filtering of my email accounts on a real time basis via SpamSieve and Apple Mail running 24/7. This process filters spam out of my IMAP mail account inboxes before it ever reaches my laptop, iPad or iPhone.
-Backup & photo/music sync services for the 3 other Macs in our household via Carbon Copy Cloner, Chronosync and Backblaze (for cloud backup).

As for Dyn Updater, my ISP (Comcast) uses dynamic external IP addresses that are subject to change so I use the DynDNS service to work around that and be able to remotely reach the mac mini and other services in my home reliably. Dyn Updater is DynDNS' background app that locally monitors my Comcast dynamic IP and advises/updates DynDNS when my home Comcast IP address changes (often if the modem reboots itself).

BlockBlock is a small background app that prevents installation of launch agents and daemons, etc. without approval. It's a tool to monitor/block malware components since the mini is exposed to the web 24/7.

All of these apps and services have been happily coexisting for well over a year with no problems and may have nothing to do with the WeatherCat hangs I been experiencing recently. But I'm grabbing at straws and trying to figure out what to try next. All thoughts and suggestions are more than welcome!

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2018, 11:06:09 PM »
Thanks for the info, all makes sense... except for the hanging problem... my setup is much simpler.

Hope your Spamsieve works better than mine, I am still getting several "FedEx" messages and lots of "Critical security alert" messages every week. They all come in from my Apple (iCloud) accounts. I don't think SS gets to look at those before Mail does. [banghead]

And now, back to your regularly scheduled support thread! [tup]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Dear N4KHQ, ELO, X-Air, and WeatherCat troubleshooters,

My mac mini runs as a household server and is awake 24/7, and no I typically don't do anything with it requiring login
 . . . .

I don't believe WeatherCat is designed to run in the background as you are doing.  It was intended to be active on a computer that has a logged in user.  Otherwise there is no way to access the graphs, gauges, CTWs and so on.  It may work just fine in the manner you are using it, but I just don't know if that?s true.  You might want to contact WeatherCat technical support directly and ask that question.  The contact information is on this web-page of the Tixology site:

https://trixology.com/contact-us/

N4KHQ, you aren't running your installation of WeatherCat after logging out - are you?

Let us know what you uncover!

Cheers, Edouard

ELO

• Gentle Breeze
    • KCOBRECK14
Dear N4KHQ, ELO, X-Air, and WeatherCat troubleshooters,

My mac mini runs as a household server and is awake 24/7, and no I typically don't do anything with it requiring login
 . . . .

I don't believe WeatherCat is designed to run in the background as you are doing.  It was intended to be active on a computer that has a logged in user.

My bad here. The mac mini is set put the display to sleep and require a password after 30 minutes. The computer is set to "Never Sleep" and in addition I have amphetamine running.

By "logging in", I meant entering a password to deactivate the screen saver and wake the display, not logging into an account/user as you would do when starting or restarting the machine from scratch. My main admin account is logged in and active active 24/7, and I generally leave a WeatherCat window frontmost to give it as much priority as possible.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Check the WeatherCat log entries? (Re: Weather Cat version 2.4.4 bug)
« Reply #59 on: March 28, 2018, 11:39:44 PM »
Dear ELO and WeatherCat troubleshooters,

My bad here. The mac mini is set put the display to sleep and require a password after 30 minutes. The computer is set to "Never Sleep" and in addition I have amphetamine running.

Oh well, that puts us back to square one.  When you see WeatherCat not working properly, could you look in the console for error messages that might explain this?   Better still, since you are running WeatherCat 3, it stores it own log files.  You can find them in:

~/Library/Logs/WeatherCat

Where ~ refers to your own home folder.  You need to have access to your Library folder to view these files.  Let us know if you come up with anything.

Cheers, Edouard