Author Topic: First Unread  (Read 7374 times)

dfw_pilot

• Gale
    • GW3252
    • KTNWILLI1
    • WX Page
  • Station Details: Davis Pro2 Plus
First Unread
« on: February 18, 2016, 07:35:17 PM »
Is there an option to add a "First Unread Message" link at the top of a thread topic? It's a nice feature, when a thread is 35 posts long, to click that link to be taken to the first unread post. That feature is handy, especially since this forum doesn't have a red or highlighted color on the newest unread posts in a thread.

Feel free to smite . . .

dfw
A clear conscience is a great pillow.

saratogaWX

• Strong Breeze
  • Weather website programming enthusiast
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
  • Station Details: Davis VP1 +, iMAC 21, OSX 10.6.8
Re: First Unread
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2016, 10:05:42 PM »
I'm not sure that's an available mod for SMF forums.

I tend to use Show unread posts since last visit link and then click on the (last post icon) to go to the end of the thread.
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis Vantage Pro Plus - FARS, Boltek-PCI/NexStorm, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteohub, WeatherSnoop, WeatherCat
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
When in SMF . . . . (Re: First Unread)
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 12:15:22 AM »
Dear dfw, Ken, and WeatherCat forum expert surfers, . . .

Is there an option to add a "First Unread Message" link at the top of a thread topic?

I tend to use Show unread posts since last visit link and then click on the (last post icon) to go to the end of the thread.

I think what Ken is suggesting is the best solution on forums running SMF software.  That's been my policy on the all the forums I frequent.  It takes a bit more time, but I think any forum worth visiting it is worth cruising through all the topics that have new postings.  Usually you can figure out from the subjects if it is worth your time to read the updates.

On a small forum like WeatherCat, it doesn't take that long to at least cruise quickly through the replies.  On a busy forum with 30,000+ members - you can at least keep an eye on the active topics.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2016, 09:54:27 PM »
I'm not sure that's an available mod for SMF forums.

Old thread, but oddly, it showed as new for me. Probably missed it when I was checking in while on vacation.

Anyway, I do the same, except clicking on the "NEW" button takes you directly to the first new post. I click "Show unread posts since last visit" and then command-click on all the "NEW" buttons, opening each in a new tab in Safari.
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

dfw_pilot

• Gale
    • GW3252
    • KTNWILLI1
    • WX Page
  • Station Details: Davis Pro2 Plus
Clicking NEW
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2016, 11:02:31 PM »
That works really well. Thanks, Steve!
A clear conscience is a great pillow.

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2016, 11:11:06 PM »
The benefit of the new stuff being at the top is that it can be found even if it's not on the first page full of topics. I frequent another Mac forum hat uses an extremely old version of the software (not the SMF source) and it even has this function. But we have only two forums sections, not the 16 here!

The only similar function here, that I have seen, anyway, is the display of "Today" part of the Unread Posts column. Unfortunately, if one misses more than two days of visiting, there won't be anything in there, other than a very recent date, to indicate something you may not have read. That column also lists only one post, even if there are several 'today' posts in that section.

Only way I can see to somewhat keep up-to-date is to visit each of the 16 sections, every day. :) I pretty much only look at sections that interest me, but I do visit pretty much daily and can see the "Today" or "Yesterday" indications.

Perhaps there's a way to 'subscribe' to a forum/section as opposed to a topic. That way, one could get an email when a new post occurred in every forum/section.
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2016, 04:28:57 PM »
@xairbusdriver

Click this button when visiting the forum.

It will give you a list of posts since your last visit, no matter how long you've been away. And if you click on the "NEW" button, it will take you directly to the first new post in that thread.

Like I said above, I command click on all the NEW buttons and get a new tab for each thread. Then there's no going back and forth to the list.
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2016, 04:31:53 PM »
Steve:

I don't see that when I visit the forum. Can you clarify what profile setting or what location brings that up?
Blick

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2016, 04:56:06 PM »
Like Blick, I'm not seeing the display you posted. I am looking at the settings, however, and found one in Trixology->Profile of xairbusdriver->Look and Layout labeled "Show most recent posts at the top." Not sure if that's what some of us are asking for, but I'll monitor things for a few days and hope for the best. I suspect entering the site at the main index will not be affected by this setting while each section probably will. :)

I'm still looking at the Settings for a method to present the image Steve is showing...

seconds later...
 [lol2]
The "Show most recent posts at the top." setting definitely affects the topic posts! After posting his, I was immediately confused (my usual state) to see my own post at the top of the thread!

I think that is the standard display of each of the 16 forum sections, anyway. And "New" threads in those sections are still sorted by date, not 'newness'. For example, the WeatherCat Bugs section shows a "New" post as the first "Last Posts" item but there are another four threads between that one and the next "New" thread. The "Show most recent posts at the top" has absolutely no affect on the threads list.

I'm off to change that "Show most recent posts at the top" setting. I like reading the posts in the order made... [rolleyes2]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2016, 04:58:17 PM »
Hi Blicj
 Go to Profile - Forum Profile - Look and Layout - Check Show most recent post at top of page

that should do it

if not

SMF has several options for users to view unread posts. Unread posts are topics and replies that have not been viewed by the user. The most common way to view unread posts is through the links in the forum header near the top of a forum page.
  • Show unread replies since last visit ? Selecting this option displays a list of the topics which have had new posts made in them since the user's last visit. The user has the ability to select to view all unread topics, which will display any topic with unread posts, regardless of their last visit.
  • Show unread replies to your posts ? Selecting this option displays a list of topics the user has participated in that have unread replies.
There are also other options available for viewing unread posts:
  • or  - These icons appear to the left of each board in the Board Index. The second, coloured version indicates that there are unread posts within the board. Clicking on it will take you to a list of these unread posts, displayed by topic.
  • Recent Posts - If enabled by the administrator, this will display a list of recent posts within the Info Center(below the Board Index in the default theme). This is displayed by post, not by topic, so hot topics may dominate this section. Selecting the icon to the left of the recent posts will enable each post to be read from another screen.
  • Unread posts - This option appears to the right of each category. Selecting this option will display a list of unread posts from the boards inside the selected category.

cheers

[cheers1]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2016, 05:31:51 PM »
Randall:

Checking Show most recent post at top just reverses the order in which posts display. I am trying to figure out how Steve (and now you) are pulling up the Hello Steve box on the forum.
Blick

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2016, 07:04:21 PM »
Blicj
 Is there a ^ in the upper right hand corner on your Header Board if so click on it to expand the Header Board and see if that works it could be up side down ^

see attachment

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
    • WU for Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless Vantage Pro 2, iMac 24"
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2016, 07:14:32 PM »
Are you not seeing the same thing that i am?

I just go into the headers that show the New Post icon, then click on the orange New button. That always takes me to posts new since the last time I visited.

[cheers1]
Herb

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2016, 07:21:03 PM »
Blicj
 Is there a ^ in the upper right hand corner on your Header Board if so click on it to expand the Header Board and see if that works it could be up side down ^

This is it! Thanks Randall. I have never noticed that before. Now I am happy because I am a bit more like you and Steve.
Blick

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2016, 07:24:29 PM »
Are you not seeing the same thing that i am?

I just go into the headers that show the New Post icon, then click on the orange New button. That always takes me to posts new since the last time I visited.

Thanks Herb. Yes, that is how I have been doing it as well. What I was trying to figure out was how Steve and Randall had something showing at the top that I was not seeing. Randall's post shows us how to toggle the Hello User box on/off.
Blick