Author Topic: 1Password 5.4 Beta update gems  (Read 2832 times)

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
1Password 5.4 Beta update gems
« on: October 16, 2015, 09:26:06 PM »
Taking a break from watching our grass go dormant, I found an update was available for the 1Password ?eta running on the mini. It has some of the most entertaining computer text I've read lately. I think it shows that these devs enjoy their job, I truly pity anyone who doesn't (or didn't) enjoy their job!

Here are a few of the more humorous pieces:
Fixed:
If your system language is Persian, you can now edit dates. Sorry about that. {OPM-3153}

1Password mini would continuously log that it was waiting for discoveryd to return from its lunch break on Yosemite 10.10.4. We?ve convinced the mini that this was improper behavior. {OPM-3143}

The Wi-Fi Sync Server wouldn?t start if the computer name contained certain characters. We?ve given it some language lessons so this will no longer happen. {OPM-2836}

Two blinking cursors were sometimes shown in the details view in edit mode. We?ve sent the second one to a nice farm upstate. {OPM-3020}

In its enthusiasm, 1Password would prompt you to save changes if you placed your cursor in a text field but didn?t change any text, even after you pressed the ?Cancel? button. We?ve toned down its exuberance. {OPM-2968}

We?ve fixed some leaks so 1Password mini?s memory is no longer like a sieve.
One of the changes is especially interesting to those of us who are becoming more visually impaired!
Large type
If you?ve ever squinted at a password because you have to enter your it on a device without 1Password support, this is for you! 1Password for Mac now can now display passwords in Large Type to make them easier to read. Now it?s easy to look at your Mac and enter your password on an Apple TV or read your Wi-Fi password off to guests. Oh, and if your bank asks you for the 4th, 10th, and 12th digits of your passwords, you?ll be happy to see that we?ve numbered each character to make those easier for you to find.
[cheer] So far, I've not run into any site asking for a particular password character! ::) I continue to be impressed with this app and happy I can have 1Password!
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: 1Password 5.4 Beta update gems
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2015, 11:18:48 PM »
Excellent source of laughs. Thanks for posting.

Last week, 1Password's primary competitor, LastPass, was acquired by Logmein. Logmein has long received my vote for the being the company least interested in its customers. Therefore, I predict I will be joining you 1Password fans as soon as I can save up enough money to subscribe (LastPass's most compelling attraction is the price: it's free on your computer and only requires a subscription for iOS).
Blick

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
    • WU for Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless Vantage Pro 2, iMac 24"
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2015, 06:37:11 AM »
I never understood the necessity for these programs. OS X convinced me, at some point within the last couple of years, to give up my struggle with remembering to update an alphabetical look-up table, and let it manage all my passwords. It has done so flawlessly ever since. Through browser resets and OS X and iOS installs it has kept up with it all. The only fault I've found is that its suggested required password format is not always accepted everywhere I go. Sometimes, though rarely, I still have to make up my own.  [coffee]

[cheers1]
Herb

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2015, 03:50:18 PM »
Not sure how to read your post. Are you saying that you let Keychain handle your password management? ;) I guess it is usable, but we gave up MacDraw several decades ago for the same reason I use 1Passowrd: capabilities, ease of use, expanded functions, and, most of all, superior support and security. OTOH, I still find TextEdit useful...

The only fault I've found is that its suggested required password format is not always accepted everywhere I go. Sometimes, though rarely, I still have to make up my own.
Most of the time I find my problems with un-accepted passwords involves a too casual reading of the format needed. "...include at least one number and one uppercase character...", etc. Even worse are site that are still out there that allow only eight characters, and sometimes only from the alphabet! I have refused to 'join' some of those sites, in other cases, I simply change by password often, that's another place where 1Password comes to my rescue. [cheer]

It also helps that I got to know one of the early devs who attended our local Mac User Group. [blush] I must also confess that password management/creation is only about 50% of what the app does for me. It is starting to replace URLMPro for any site that requires a password! [coffee]

JosBaz

• Strong Breeze
    • INBRSON2
    • Weatherstation Son en Breugel, The Netherlands
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Wireless, WeatherCat on Mac OS X 10.13.6
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2015, 08:53:51 PM »
Same here: I've been a satisfied 1Password user for a few years now, and since I started using it, the vault size has increased from 0 to over 600 entries. Wouldn't know what to do without it.
In this era of cyberattacks and hacks having many different, complex and periodically changing passwords (or better: passphrases) is a must imho. 1Password makes this manageable.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Password manager definitely required (Re: 1Password 5.4 Beta update gems)
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2015, 09:22:59 PM »
Dear X-Air, Blick, Herb, JosBaz, and WeatherCat system security managers, . . .

I've been using another program which perhaps predates 1Password called Password Wallet:

http://www.selznick.com/products/passwordwallet/index.htm

Not sure how to the two compare but having gotten used to this program . . . laziness prevails!  ;D

I certainly agree that this sort of a program is absolutely essential.  As pedantic as it may seem, every time I need to create some sort of Internet account, no matter how apparently trite, I enter it into Password Wallet.  It is far better to have all your passwords in one place than any possible alternative.  It is also far better to have your passwords stored electronically than any sort of notebook alternative.

Cheers, Edouard

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2015, 07:37:34 AM »
Not sure how to read your post. Are you saying that you let Keychain handle your password management? ;)
?

I had to go and look to see if Keychain is the software I've been using. It was. It's so well integrated into the OS, I thought it was just OS X. Anyway, it has been working like a champ for me, and I have the option to use passwords of my own making. But, most of the time, I'll let it make up one. They are long and usually like "kset-1wqa-$aqs-132J" or worse. Just glad I don't have to remember them or type them in anywhere.

? I guess it is usable, but we gave up MacDraw several decades ago for the same reason I use 1Passowrd: capabilities, ease of use, expanded functions, and, most of all, superior support and security. OTOH, I still find TextEdit useful...
?

Those are all very nice words, but they also seem to apply to Keychain. Plus, with Keychain I can add the word "opaque" since I didn't even know I was using Keychain 'til you made me look it up.  [lol]

[cheers1]

Herb

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2015, 05:21:46 PM »
I guess that "opaque" part is one of the reasons I don't use it. I want to know what my PW manager is doing, have it display in an intuitive manner, and do way more than keep up with just passwords. As I mentioned, it is starting to take over my favorite bookmark manager, URLMPro. I never used the built-in bookmark managers in any browser since they all had different, complicated methods of 'syncing' with another browser. URLMPro can be used in any and every browser because it is completely separate and always available since it 'lives' in the OS Menu Bar. [tup] 1PW Mini also resides in the OS Menu Bar so it can automatically open a site's password page and insert the needed info just by my typing a few letters of the site's 'name' (which can be anything I want to use). Now I don't need to use URLMPro to first go to the site! Then select the info from 1PW's offerings. ;) I have several sites that require usernames/ID on one page, the p/w on another, a security question (among several that will come up randomly) and even a PIN. Fortunately 1PW (and probably other p/w managers) display all these items in a simple list with descriptions/labels that I create. Even if someone were to "borrow" my computer, they'd still have trouble figuring out what info goes with which page/site. Keychain's p/w is the same as your Admin p/w, as far as I know. Maybe that's changed. 1PW adds another layer of protection since its p/w word is completely different. Of course, the down side is that I now have to remember TWO passwords; the computer Admin p/w and the 1PW p/w!  [lol2]

I'm seriously glad you are using a password creator and that it does what you need. There are too many (like my wife, until a few years ago!) who simply use the same, short, insecure but easily remembered "password"! [rolleyes2] She now uses 1PW. If I even asked her to open Keychain, I'd be cooking for my self for several weeks! [lol] OTOH, I could stand to drop some weight...

Ain't it great to have choices?! [cheer]

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2015, 09:03:45 PM »
Ain't it great to have choices?! [cheer]

Yes it is!

I think everyone should stick with what makes them most comfortable with dealing with the convoluted mess that is security these days. Through the years, I've come to grow away from 3rd party solutions, since one major OS revision can wipe out years of organization around a small company solution. But if you're using something that works, there simply is no reason to stop.

Just a few thoughts to share about Keychain. I started using it because it kept offering to remember, so I just said yes. When I would get to a user name & password entry screen, it would already know and fill it in for me. I didn't know how it knew. It just knew. On registration forms for new accounts, it would offer its unGodly long passwords, and for the longest time I rejected using that. But, one day I decided that I didn't want to take the time to try to think of a good one and then open my password ledger and type in the site and  user name and password, so I just let it happen. My thought was, "I'll do it once and see how it goes." My big fear with those huge passwords was what might happen with a hard drive failure or OS upgrade. Well, the OS upgrade has been a non issue, and I run with daily Time Machine backups.

The benefit, which I hadn't even thought of at the time, was that it synced across all devices, so creating a web account on one computer enabled the easy log in on the other. It was only after you forced me to dig deeper did I learn that there was an app in the Utilities folder called Keychain Access. It gave me much more insight into what was going on inside, what was until then, the mysterious password generator and tracking system.

To that I say, "THANKS BUDDY!"
 [tup] [tup] [tup]
Herb

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2015, 09:21:00 PM »
I think everyone should stick with what makes them most comfortable
Yes, I agree almost completely. And the syncing between all computers and iDevices is a life-saver. OTOH, many Windows users think that's how all computers are supposed to work! [rolleyes2]

More importantly, if you don't buy this app, I will lose my commission. Removed no longer available image.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 07:45:19 PM by xairbusdriver »

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2015, 09:38:41 PM »
Well! I didn't mean 'the most comfortable' with anything! 8?)

Your commission is safe. Tell the doctors I'll sign the papers for you.

[rockon]
Herb

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2015, 12:12:45 AM »
Tell the doctors I'll sign the papers for you.

I'll co-sign if we are talking about getting Xair committed.  :)
Blick