Author Topic: %@ can't be found  (Read 3370 times)

vicciconway@mac.com

• Gentle Breeze
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2 purchased 2004
%@ can't be found
« on: April 23, 2017, 06:42:23 PM »
Hi, I just downloaded the new version and it won't start.  %@ can't be found.  Seems this has happened before?

weathercat.app from April 14, 2017

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Re: %@ can't be found
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 11:27:48 PM »
Perhaps Console will provide you (and the dev) with a bit more information about exactly what is happening. It may also help to describe the location/hierarchy of items in your Applications, user/Library/WeatherCatData...files,user/Library/Application Support/WeatherCat... folders & files, and user/Library/Preferences/com.trixology.weathercat... plist(s).

Most of those things are placed there automatically, of course.
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Make sure old app file is trashed? (Re: %@ can't be found)
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 11:37:52 PM »
Dear vicciconway, X-Air, and WeatherCat troubleshooters,

Hi, I just downloaded the new version and it won't start.  %@ can't be found.  Seems this has happened before?

It's a long shot, but make sure to either replace the old application file with the new one or make sure the old file is in the trash.  Two WeatherCat application files could leave the Finder unsure which file you wish to launch.

Let us know if you get this problem untangled.

Cheers, Edouard

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 12:32:27 AM »
Second thoughts (from personal experience/stupidity), make sure the paths in the Custom Web -> Additional Files are correct, especially if you have several directories similarly named. [banghead]

vicciconway@mac.com

• Gentle Breeze
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2 purchased 2004
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 07:37:01 PM »
I deleted all of the files and put into an "old" directory.  Then unzipped the new version and copied the resulting files into the weather cat directory.  There is only one file that is in app - WeatherCat.app.  This is the one that will not launch and gives me that error.  Any other ideas?  Guess I need to write support.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
What Mac and OS version? (Re: %@ can't be found)
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2017, 11:20:46 PM »
Dear vicciconway and WeatherCat troubleshooters,

There is only one file that is in app - WeatherCat.app.  This is the one that will not launch and gives me that error.

Very strange.  What Mac model are you running WeatherCat on and which version of OS X?  What was the last version of WeatherCat that you were running?  Did you try downloading WeatherCat again?  Another long shot, but perhaps the application file got corrupted somehow.  If you open the Console application (in the Utilities folder) , you might look at the error messages that appear there when you try to launch WeatherCat.  It might offer a clue.

Let us know if you discover anything.

Edouard

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2017, 04:49:28 AM »
Not sure I understand your last message:
(1)...deleted all of the files and put into an "old" directory.  (2) Then unzipped the new version and copied the resulting files into the weather cat directory.  (3) There is only one file that is in app - WeatherCat.app.
(1) I do hope you have another copy of your old install, at least a Time Machine copy. I don't recommend deleting any application until you know the new version works properly. Actually, I keep a compressed version of at least the previous version of most apps, for some I keep the last three!

(2) I suggest you re-un-zip the new WC file and simply rename the folder/directory it will create by adding something like "-2.4.2" to the end of the name.

(3) When I unzip the new WC files, I end up with a folder/directory (which will normally be named "WeatherCat" if you already have one the OS will usually ask you to rename it) with the following sub-folders/directories in it:
  • Companion Applications [folder/directory] with 1 item in it
  • Documentation [folder/directory] with 3 items
  • Server Scripts [folder/directory] with 4 items
  • Web Templates [folder/directory] with 4 items
  • WeatherCat.app
  • !!!README_FIRST!!!.rtfd
Into the Web Templates, I added my own template files and various additional files from my previous install.

I suspect, if you actually have only the WeatherCat.app in the un-zipped folder that the app is simply looking for one or more of the items in the other folders, possibly the Server Scripts.

Indeed, if the app is all you have in the folder, the download must have been interrupted/corrupted, or some one moved the other files on you. The easiest and simplest thing to do is re-download, as Edouard suggests.

Chet

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW1987
    • IBADENWU20
  • Station Details: Davis Vue, iMac OS X, Catalina
Re: WeatherCat Version 2.4.2 Now Available (temp)
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2017, 01:27:08 PM »
I get this with the new version: ?%@? can?t be found. and it will not load then.
Chet
Castle Rock Colorado

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
Re: WeatherCat Version 2.4.2 Now Available (Temp)
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2017, 02:38:39 PM »
That makes two reports. Bummer. :o

You might want to move/add your post to the following thread <http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=2462.msg23943#msg23943> so Stu can keep this problem organized. Perhaps you could post some additional info on how you have your files arranged,your OS version, etc. You might also try some of the suggestions there.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Got to be something to this. (Re: WeatherCat Version 2.4.2)
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2017, 11:46:18 PM »
Dear Chet, X-Air, and WeatherCat troubleshooters,

That makes two reports. Bummer. :o

Definitely bad news. :(  Some number of us can't upgrade to this version because we engaged in "sekret agent" stuff.  Still, some folks have upgraded without issues.  Everyone using the new Meteotemplate plugin are using WeatherCat 2.4.2.  What language do you have WeatherCat localized to?

If nothing else works, roll back to the previous version of WeatherCat until Stu can figure out what's going on.

Cheers, Edouard

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2017, 08:38:19 PM »
I've moved a couple of posts into this thread to keep them all together.

Now, there isn't much to go on there, but assuming this is a Finder error when you try to launch WeatherCat, then it's reasonable to assume the %@ should be replaced with the application name.

Logically, if the Finder can't read the name from the application, then the application itself is also not readable. Given that it has been re-downloaded we can assume it isn't corrupt and therefore there is some permission issue or weird gatekeeper behaviour preventing it from launching.

I would suggest deleting the download you have, re-downloading it, unzipping it so you have the WeatherCat folder then dragging the WeatherCat folder to your Applications directory where it's pretty much guaranteed the permissions will be OK, then running it from there.

If that doesn't work, open the console application (Applications->Utilities->Console.app) and then launch WeatherCat - hopefully there'll be some messages logged during the attempted launch which will help investigate further - please post them here.

Thanks  [tup]