Author Topic: Adding in UV data into WeatherCat  (Read 1845 times)

level42

• Calm
    • DW6720
    • KWARENTO18
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Vue
Adding in UV data into WeatherCat
« on: December 29, 2016, 10:06:15 PM »
Hello all!

I have a Vantage Vue, and an external UV sensor that I am assembling myself. I have figured out how to transmit that data to Weather Underground, but I also see that WeatherCat is overwriting the UV data with 0 as part of the normal update process.

I have a couple of questions:

1. is it possible to make WeatherCat stop sending UV data?
2. is it possible to add UV data into the stream that is sent to Weather Underground?

Thanks!
Bill

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Would need AppleScripts I think (Re: Adding in UV data into WeatherCat)
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2016, 12:22:42 AM »
Dear Bill and WeatherCat tinkerers,

Hello all!

I see that this is your first post on the WeatherCat forum, so by all means welcome!

If you feel up to it by all means start a tread in this topic and introduce yourself to all the "WeatherCatters,"

http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?board=8.0

I have a Vantage Vue, and an external UV sensor that I am assembling myself. I have figured out how to transmit that data to Weather Underground, but I also see that WeatherCat is overwriting the UV data with 0 as part of the normal update process.

I have a couple of questions:

1. is it possible to make WeatherCat stop sending UV data?
2. is it possible to add UV data into the stream that is sent to Weather Underground?

Unfortunately, I don't know of an easy way to do what you seek.  I don't know how to get WeatherCat to stop sending the 0 value for UV data.  I think Weather Underground requires it. 

The other problem is just as serious.  As far a I know, Weather Underground uses a URL get technique to send data where the data is part of the URL itself.  As a result, the submission has to happen all at once.  About the only chance you might have is to turn off WeatherCat's submission to Weather Underground and take over that job yourself.  It can be done using AppleScripts, but will take some effort.  A while back I wrote a collection of AppleScripts that includes a script to submit data to a number of services.  It didn't include Weather Underground, but it turns out the format is extremely similar.  You could take a look at those AppleScripts, you can find more information on them here:

http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=1039.0

The AppleScript you would need to adapt is WC Web Data Uploader.

Good luck with your efforts!

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

level42

• Calm
    • DW6720
    • KWARENTO18
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Vue
Re: Adding in UV data into WeatherCat
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2017, 05:22:32 PM »
Thank you so much for the reply Edouard, I really appreciate it!

I was worried that the answer wasn't easy, but at least you have a solution. :) I will go and check your AppleScripts, and see what I can do with them.

Happy New Year!
Bill