Author Topic: Using Rapidweaver and Stacks for Website  (Read 4899 times)

Ruyton

• Gentle Breeze
    • ISHROPSH19
    • Shotatton Weather
  • Station Details: Davie Vantage Vue
Using Rapidweaver and Stacks for Website
« on: May 19, 2013, 04:24:04 PM »
Very early days here, but playing around with using the Rapidweaver web authoring software to display the weather data generated by WeatherCat.  I haven't quite decided if I'm making this easier or more difficult using Rapidweaver - ha!

When using the WeatherCat Custom Weather option, I see that the gauges and graphs are uploaded by FTP as jpg's as set up in the wx.html page generated by WeatherCat (from the template).  This means that these jpg's are available to be displayed in and web page i.e. one produced by Rapidweaver.  The Rapidweaver 'Stacks' add-on is the best utility I've found to make web authoring even more drag-and-drop than it is already.  Do a Google search for Rapidweaver Stacks if you are not already familiar with this.

OK, so that makes the gauges/graphs available.  As you aren't actually going to be displaying the WeatherCat.html page, you can set it up to upload everything if you like, then just pick the jpg's you want.  My actual Rapidweaver produced weather page is Weather.html.

That takes care of the gauges/graphs, but what about the text tags?  This is where the Custom Web > Additional Files option comes in.  I created a new html file called Text_Info.html and just added what I needed - see below:

<FONT FACE="arial">
<FONT SIZE="2">
            <p>Current Temp: CT$</p>
            <p>Current Dew Point: CD$</p>
            <p>High Today: STAT$TEMPERATURE:MAX:TODAY$ TEMPUNITS$ at STAT$TEMPERATURE:MAX:TODAY:TIME$</p>
            <p>Low Today: STAT$TEMPERATURE:MIN:TODAY$ TEMPUNITS$ at STAT$TEMPERATURE:MIN:TODAY:TIME$</p>
            <p>High Windspeed Today: STAT$WINDSPEED:MAX:TODAY$ MPH at STAT$WINDSPEED:MAX:TODAY:TIME$</p>
            <p>Current Rainrate: CR$ </p>
            <p>Today's Rain: STAT$RAIN:TOTAL:TODAY$ RAINUNITS$</p>
            <p>Rain This Month: STAT$RAIN:TOTAL:THISMONTH$ RAINUNITS$</p>
            <p>Rain This Year: STAT$RAIN:TOTAL:THISYEAR$ RAINUNITS$</p>

This Text_Info.html file is added to the Custom Web > Additional Files list so that WeatherCat converts it to readings.

This is FTP'ed up to the website by WeatherCat and displayed on the Rapidweaver page using iFrame

This is the actual page - it will change as I play around with it.

http://www.ruyton.demon.co.uk/Weather/Weather.html

As I said earlier, not sure if this is actually easier than just editing the raw WeatherCat wx.html template, but it does allow me to set up the page easily using Rapidweaver Stacks.

Regards
Gary
Shrewsbury UK
Gary - Shrewsbury UK

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
Re: Using Rapidweaver and Stacks for Website
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 09:33:49 PM »
Thanks for the post Gary and welcome to the forum!

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Good start! (Re: Using Rapidweaver and Stacks for Website)
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 09:34:55 PM »
Hi Gary and WeatherCat fans,

Looks like you've come up with a reasonable strategy to get RapidWeaver to work for you.  I've used other WYSIWYG web page editors but never that one.  Glad you given WeatherCat fans another option to consider!

Thanks for sharing!

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Ruyton

• Gentle Breeze
    • ISHROPSH19
    • Shotatton Weather
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 03:25:13 PM »
Rapidweaver website slowly coming together.

webcam.jpg now displayed and Conditions.html and Records.html displayed using iFrame within a Rapidweaver 'Stack'.  Gauges and graphs are the WeatherCat uploaded jpg's.  All data is uploaded by using (but not displaying) the WeatherCat wx.html template page.

http://www.ruyton.demon.co.uk/Weather/Weather.html
Gary - Shrewsbury UK

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 06:04:10 PM »
Hi Gary,
looks good! Glad you are experiencing with RapidWeaver - if someone else needs help with it you can give support to this one!
Ohh, and welcome to the forum!  :)

Cheers,
Reinhard
Reinhard

Ruyton

• Gentle Breeze
    • ISHROPSH19
    • Shotatton Weather
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 03:26:38 PM »
Thanks Reinhard,

Teaching myself how the Tags work now to show exactly the data I want to show on my Rapidweaver page.

Happy to offer any advice if anybody has a Rapidweaver question.

Regards

gary
Gary - Shrewsbury UK

ELO

• Gentle Breeze
    • KCOBRECK14
    • Weather in the Highlands
  • Station Details: Old Davis WMII, Heated Rain Collector, Mac Mini
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2013, 11:04:12 PM »
It's not Rapidweaver, but here's an example of a site using weathercat tags and the steel gauges I developed in Sandvox, another wysiwyg website development program for the Mac.

In my case, I just built the pages in Sandvox, placing weathercat tags where I wanted data and weathercat custom image jpgs. I then copied the resultant html code to a xxx.html file and handed that file to weathercat to process and upload every 15 minutes. The steel gauges are actually on a separate matching page with the gauges only that I then display in the main page via an iframe, but all the rest of the data is coded into the primary html by weathercat.

http:wx.oshlo.net

Regards,
Rick

Ruyton

• Gentle Breeze
    • ISHROPSH19
    • Shotatton Weather
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 05:38:34 PM »
Very nice Rick!

I haven't really looked at the steel gauges setup, but I will investigate further.
Gary - Shrewsbury UK

Gilltin

• Calm
  • Station Details: WS-1080, mac
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2013, 10:21:44 AM »
Hi Gary,

I'm a Rapidweaver person and I use Stacks.  To be honest I am completely confused with getting Custom Weathercat web pages up on my site - or even a banner - I also have a webcam. I live on the island of Fuerteventura in the Canary Islands.  I have 2 websites www.gillandbob.com and www.canaryuk.com where I have put up the simple weather pages.  I would love to do the custom thing and display a similar layout to yours.  Would you be willing to email an idiot's guide to setting this up?  I have sat with the weathercat manual and just can't get my head round what I'm supposed to be doing to display custom stuff.  I need step by step instructions please.

Kind regards

Gill