Author Topic: Snow forecast  (Read 2553 times)

Chet

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW1987
    • IBADENWU20
  • Station Details: Davis Vue, iMac OS X, Catalina
Snow forecast
« on: January 23, 2013, 10:09:06 PM »
 [snow]My weathercat has been running now for five days. It keeps saying snow in the next 12 hours, possibly heavy. This no where near accurate. Can anyone explain?

Thanks.
Chet
Castle Rock Colorado

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
Re: Snow forecast
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 05:03:42 PM »
Hi Chet,
That's the forecast that comes from the hardware. Check you have your coordinates set correctly in the console - the console uses these when calculating the forecast and if they're wrong you may be getting weird forecasts.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Your "forecast accuracy" may vary - widely!! (Re: Snow forecast)
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 11:44:54 PM »
Hi Chet, Stu, and WeatherCat fans,

My weathercat has been running now for five days. It keeps saying snow in the next 12 hours, possibly heavy. This no where near accurate. Can anyone explain?

Even if you have provided all the correct information, the Davis forecasts are   . . . .  dubious at best.  Davis doesn't explain, but it appears to be a refinement of the Zambretti Forecaster.   You can read more about that here:

http://www.meteormetrics.com/zambretti.htm

It is simply a very impoverished strategy for forecasting the weather.  In Northern California (where Davis is located by the way) it is very rarely - right!

I would hope it works better in England, Northern France and places near where the original tool originated, but I'm not even sure this is true.

Hope this reassures you some.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]