Author Topic: The difficulties with measuring time.  (Read 5545 times)

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
    • WU for Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless Vantage Pro 2, iMac 24"
The difficulties with measuring time.
« on: June 14, 2016, 05:25:30 AM »
After watching this video, twice, it occurred to me that I had to post it here for others to enjoy. This is something that doesn't come up too often, but did anyone notice that we skipped a leap year, not too long ago. I believe it was during the year 2000.

Well, this video provides a most detailed explanation. And, it does it in such a way that even I can understand it. ? OK, most of it.

How Earth Moves

I wish we had a way of showing the videos here, without leaving our turf provided by our insanely great software guru, but the link works. I tested it. And, you can skip the commercial after 4 seconds, I believe. That is, if you're unfortunate enough to get a commercial you'd rather skip. Sometimes they are quite good.

[cheers1]
Herb

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: The difficulties with measuring time.
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 08:04:41 AM »
Very interesting video; it was, you might say, enlightening. Thanks for sharing. I like its simplicity - good enough that I could understand most of it. Fascinating concepts.
Blick

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2016, 04:30:54 PM »
Leap years are normally skipped in years evenly divided (no remainder) by 100 unless it is also evenly divided by 400. Thus 2000 was a leap year.

Some pseudo code for those interested:
Code: [Select]
if (year is not divisible by 4) then (it is a common year)
else if (year is not divisible by 100) then (it is a leap year)
else if (year is not divisible by 400) then (it is a common year)
else (it is a leap year)

OTOH, I agree, it's confusing. Best advice: Don't be born on Feb 29, regardless of the year! [banghead]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
No video before its "time." (Re: The difficulties with measuring time.)
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2016, 10:44:23 PM »
Dear Herb, Blick, X-Air, and WeatherCat "time explorers,"

Well, this video provides a most detailed explanation. And, it does it in such a way that even I can understand it. ? OK, most of it.

How Earth Moves

;) . . . . I'm sorry Herb, but I absolutely refuse to watch this video! . . . .

Why?  It's too long to watch on a computer.

So, I'm downloading it so we can watch it on our big-screen TV!

Take tuned!

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2

That's what AirPlay is for!
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife

Ha ha. Amen. His brain was strained from too much car waxing in one day.
Blick

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2016, 05:56:53 PM »
Thanks Blick! It just goes to show you that part of our problem with understanding physical reality, is that science with all it's decimal math is just a little too inflexible.

X-Air,

if (year is not divisible by 4) then (it is a common year)
else if (year is not divisible by 100) then (it is a leap year)
else if (year is not divisible by 400) then (it is a common year)
else (it is a leap year)

I don't know what language that is, but it looks a lot like English. But, I think you're right. It's every 100 years leap year is skipped, but every 400 years the skipping of leap year is skipped. See, I almost understood it. Thanks for the update.

Edouard, it may be too late to say this, but don't forget the popcorn!

Steve, doesn't Airplay require an Apple TV?

I've often wondered if the various governments will ever get together on a World time agreement, that would eliminate time zones. In one example, it would be the same as every time zone going to Greenwich mean time. That way, when the market opens, it is at the same time round the world, and people everywhere (except for one time zone somewhere) would simply start their day at a different number for the hour. It may sound implausible now, but before railroads the idea of time zones probably sounded implausible, too.

I guess I should wait and see if the European Union breaks up before posing that question. The aptly named "new world order" seems to be meeting considerable political resistance.

[cheers1]
Herb

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2016, 07:22:49 PM »
I don't know what language that is, but it looks a lot like English.
It is, I called it "pseudo-code" because it is not "code" used in any 'coding language'. And it can be in whatever language the user speaks/reads/understands, doesn't have to be English.

It is often suggested to 'code' difficult to understand methods/procedures in "pseudo-code" since most programmers can understand their own native speaking language. Not all, of course...

BTW, Airplay doesn't need Apple TV, I've used it (I think) to transfer an audio file between another iPhone user and mine.

It's amazing how much these 'smart phones' can do. Did you know that you can speak a message into an iPhone and it will convert it into a text message and send it to someone? Then, they can speak into their iPhone and send a text message back to you! All in a matter of minutes!

Of course, all verbal communication (voice inflection, speed of speech, excitement in the voice, etc.) is lost in the plain text version and it is about ten times slower than simply dialing a number and speaking directly to each other... but think of the technology?! None of that was around even 10 years ago!!! Progress, right? [cheer] [banghead]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2016, 09:35:14 PM »
BTW, Airplay doesn't need Apple TV, I've used it (I think) to transfer an audio file between another iPhone user and mine.

Although you are technically correct (AirPlay does not require AppleTV but if you don't use AppleTV you have to jump though a mess involving HDMI cable and non-Apple hardware/software to mirror content on a television set), you did not use it to transfer files. You used AirDrop.
Blick

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2016, 09:40:20 PM »
Ah! I do believe you are corekt! [tup] Thanks for refreshing my remaining memory cells! I guess my time in the USAF flying mostly C-130's over rode Apple's definition of AirDrop! At least Apple got away, for a short time, of putting an "i" in front of everything... "iPlay" and "iDrop" don't quite have the same connotation... [lol]

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2016, 10:13:00 PM »
Pseudo code? OIC. Another code commonly referred to as acronym, but don't try to spell it without a spell checker.

[lol2]
Herb

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2016, 10:27:18 PM »
"Pseudo" as in "Bull is a 'Pseudo' Hillbilly"! [lol]

BTW, some of you may not know it, but Bull has a large lake named after him! Here's a link to a site <about the lake>, I think it even has a picture of him riding a Jetboat! [tup] I think he may have two of them! Be sure to ask him to let you use one when you visit him! 8)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Old school - TiVo . . (Re: No video before its "time.")
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2016, 11:40:16 PM »
Dear Steve, Blick, Herb, and WeatherCat fans of the big screen,

Well, in this house we use a TiVo to display video from the Internet, so it takes a slightly different procedure.  Also, I prefer to watch video in the evening so I queue up the videos on my hard drive.  That way if Comcast Internet is overloaded (as it frequently is,) I can still watch the video anyway without any disruption.

Sure it is a bit of a hassle, but once you have your machines setup, it doesn't take much more time to do it this way.

Cheers, Edouard

P.S. Alas having said all this - yesterday I plum forgot to see this video! . . . .

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2016, 12:40:30 AM »
X-Air, it's plumb fascinating how you just seem to know so much! But, here's another link. Y'all come on up! We'll go to the marina and rent all the jet skis they've got, find us an empty Shoal and P A R T Y !

[lol2]

EDIT: No doubt about it. I've got to get another hat. Forgot the link.
Herb

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
Re: Old school - TiVo . . (Re: No video before its "time.")
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2016, 02:51:01 AM »
Well, in this house we use a TiVo to display video from the Internet, so it takes a slightly different procedure.  Also, I prefer to watch video in the evening so I queue up the videos on my hard drive.  That way if Comcast Internet is overloaded (as it frequently is,) I can still watch the video anyway without any disruption.

No TiVo available for Time Warner Cable. I have an Amazon stick that I got for $20 back when they pre-released them, a Roku that I used for Amazon Prime (before the Amazon Fire stick was available) and Plex. But since the new Apple TV came out, I don't use either of them. Our old ATV was the second model, but the new one is fantastic! I use the Plex server on my iMac, and we use it throughout the house. Deb and daughter watch videos on their laptops or iPads, and I can watch via ATV on the big screen TV. Works like a charm.
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook