Author Topic: Twitter WC 3.01 & High Sierra  (Read 2533 times)

RochesterWeather

• Gentle Breeze
  • RochesterWeather.org.uk
    • EW0331
    • IKENTROC6
    • Rochester Weather
  • Station Details: Fine Offset WH3080, iMac 3.2GHz Core i5, 16GB, OS X 10.13
Twitter WC 3.01 & High Sierra
« on: August 24, 2018, 03:11:07 PM »
Hi all.

Just updated to 3.01 - very hopeful it would give me my twitter functionality back!

However it didn't. Is this because of the High Sierra death to Sylvester which continues to stuff those of us running HS?

When I launched 3.01 I didn't get the dialogue box to select an account, but in the Twitter window of WC my old tweet formats were imported from Sylvester.

I have tried the KeyChain approach as recommended when changing account but had no WeatherCat Twitter such listing. I've deleted all twitter references from keychain in a mad effort to get it working but still no joy.

Is there a magic way to force WC to give me that initial dialogue box to select a twitter account?

Thanks,

Rich
Fine Offset WH3080
iMac 3.2GHz Core i5, 16GB, OS X 10.13
CWOP EWO331
WU IKENTROC6
WC 0879109965
PWS RochesterW
Met Office RochesterWeather
WeatherBug Rochester Weather
AWEKAS 14188 Rochester, Kent
@RochesterWeath
FB Rochester Weather
http://www.rochesterweather.org.uk

RochesterWeather

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW0331
    • IKENTROC6
    • Rochester Weather
Re: Twitter WC 3.01 & High Sierra
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2018, 03:14:14 PM »
Ooh, should also add I've been into twitter and deleted any OS X/Mac OS apps in settings in an effort to remove authorisation tokens from twitter

R
Fine Offset WH3080
CWOP EWO331
WU IKENTROC6
WC 0879109965
PWS RochesterW
@RochesterWeath
FB Rochester Weather

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Try moving SylvesterTweets.plist (Re: Twitter WC 3.01 & High Sierra)
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2018, 10:26:28 PM »
Dear Rich and WeatherCat troubleshooters,

Just updated to 3.01 - very hopeful it would give me my twitter functionality back!

. . . .

Is there a magic way to force WC to give me that initial dialogue box to select a twitter account?

It appears that WeatherCat uses the same preference file as the old Sylvester application.  You'll find it in this folder (in UNIX convention) :

~/Library/WeatherCatData/SylvesterTweets.plist

You might quitting WeatherCat, moving this file somewhere else temporarily, and seeing if this allows you to "start Twitter from scratch" when you start up WeatherCat once more.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

RochesterWeather

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW0331
    • IKENTROC6
    • Rochester Weather
Re: Try moving SylvesterTweets.plist (Re: Twitter WC 3.01 & High Sierra)
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2018, 07:09:43 PM »

You might quitting WeatherCat, moving this file somewhere else temporarily, and seeing if this allows you to "start Twitter from scratch" when you start up WeatherCat once more.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Thank you, but sadly know. I played around with a few other files while I was there but to no avail. I'll continue to fettle....

R
Fine Offset WH3080
CWOP EWO331
WU IKENTROC6
WC 0879109965
PWS RochesterW
@RochesterWeath
FB Rochester Weather

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Must be in a secondary file (Re: Twitter WC 3.01 & High Sierra)
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2018, 10:41:17 PM »
Dear Rich and WeatherCat troubleshooters,

Thank you, but sadly know. I played around with a few other files while I was there but to no avail. I'll continue to fettle....

Not sure what to tell you but I just double-checked the main WeatherCat .plist file and there isn't anything related to Twitter there.  So it has to be one of those auxiliary preference files in the folder I pointed you to.  Try quitting WeatherCat, removing the file and rebooting your Mac before attempting to launch WeatherCat.  It shouldn't be, but macOS is supposed to cache some of the preference file data.  I thought this only applied to the files in the actual preference folder, but you can never be too sure.

Best of luck with this one.

Edouard 

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2018, 02:41:19 AM »
macOS caches plist files in case you are an eejit (which nobody on this forum is) so after you delete them, empty the trash, and restart your computer, then move the duplicate copy (or recreate) the specific plist file.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Okay lurn' me on this one. (Re: Twitter WC 3.01 & High Sierra)
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2018, 10:04:32 PM »
Dear Blick and WeatherCat Mac know-it-alls . . . .

macOS caches plist files in case you are an eejit (which nobody on this forum is) so you you to delete them, empty the trash, and restart your computer, then move the duplicate copy (or recreate) the specific plist file.

Okay, I'm not sure on this one, so straighten me out.  I'm sure any .plist file that you'll find in the system preference folder:

~/Library/Preferences

is cached by macOS.  What I don't know is if any file of the .plist type is automatically cached no matter where it is stored.

Does somebody know the answer to this one?

Cheers, Edouard

RochesterWeather

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW0331
    • IKENTROC6
    • Rochester Weather
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2018, 05:10:06 PM »
The SylvesterTweets.plist file contains the variables and times for the tweets but not the account information which I suspect is stored somewhere deep inside Mac OS (or at least the authorisation). It is this I need to find and delete. My search continues.

I'm going outside now, I may be some time....

R
Fine Offset WH3080
CWOP EWO331
WU IKENTROC6
WC 0879109965
PWS RochesterW
@RochesterWeath
FB Rochester Weather

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: Okay lurn' me on this one. (Re: Twitter WC 3.01 & High Sierra)
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2018, 05:47:49 PM »
Okay, I'm not sure on this one, so straighten me out.  I'm sure any .plist file that you'll find in the system preference folder:

~/Library/Preferences

is cached by macOS.  What I don't know is if any file of the .plist type is automatically cached no matter where it is stored.

Does somebody know the answer to this one?

Ever since Mavericks, macOS caches all plist files. I think that for non-sandboxed apps the list files are located in ~/Library/Preferences. Sandboxed apps can store their plists anywhere. I have used two ways to delete a plist:

Option 1
  • Quit the app
  • Delete the plist
  • Empty the trash
  • Reboot the machine
  • Move the backup plist into place - or skip this step if you want to start over with your settings for that app
  • Start the app
Option 2
  • Quit the app
  • Open Terminal
  • Type: killall cfprefsd
  • Move the backup plist into place - or skip this step if you want to start over with your settings for that app
  • Start the app
Note: Option 2 flushes all settings to plists for all apps and relaunches the cfprefsd agent. All apps trying to access cfprefs during this time will block.

Although I haven't tried it personally, I think this will work for WeatherCat as well:

Option 3
  • Quit the app, leaving the ?bad? prefs file in place
  • Open Terminal
  • Paste the following, and press Return: defaults delete com.trixology.weathercat.plist
  • Close Terminal
  • Copy the prefs file you want to use into the ~/Library/Preferences folder
  • Launch WeatherCat
For myself, I don't like to mess around in the Terminal so I use Option 1, but using the Terminal options eliminates the need to reboot your computer.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Oh well, . . . (Re: Okay lurn' me on this one.)
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2018, 11:27:53 PM »
Dear Blick and WeatherCat macOS users,

Ever since Mavericks, macOS caches all plist files. I think that for non-sandboxed apps the list files are located in ~/Library/Preferences. Sandboxed apps can store their plists anywhere.

Oh well, . . . . . .   I had hoped that Apple would only cache the "official" application preference file and that programmers were free do to whatever they wanted with any other .plist files.  Okay, so that means any of the WeatherCat preference files must be removed via one of the three procedures you mention.  Stu was grumbling that he might implement is own preference scheme.  I think I better understand why he might have pondered such extremes.

Like I said . . . . . . Oh well, . . . . . Edouard