Author Topic: Orbits of Jupiter and Venus effecting the earth's climate?  (Read 2151 times)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Dear WeatherCat readers of weather-related news,

Google news reported an amazing claim: that the combined orbits of Jupiter and Venus create another stable cycle on the earth's climate that occurs every 405,000 years.  The abstract of the paper can be found on the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America website:

http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2018/05/01/1800891115

It is heavy stuff.  Here is the key point in the significance section:

New U?Pb zircon dates from the Chinle Formation tied using magnetostratigraphy to the Newark?Hartford astrochronostratigraphic polarity timescale provide empirical confirmation that the unimodal 405-kiloyear orbital eccentricity cycle reliably paces Earth?s climate back to at least 215 million years ago, well back in the Late Triassic Period.

The methodology they use is described here in another heavy-duty bit of text:

To test the validity of the dangling APTS and orbital periodicities, we recovered a diagnostic magnetic polarity sequence in the volcaniclastic-bearing Chinle Formation in a scientific drill core from Petrified Forest National Park (Arizona) that provides an unambiguous correlation to the APTS. New high precision U?Pb detrital zircon dates from the core are indistinguishable from ages predicted by the APTS back to 215 million years before present. The agreement shows that the APTS is continuous and supports a stable 405-kiloyear cycle well beyond theoretical solutions. The validated Newark?Hartford APTS can be used as a robust framework to help differentiate provinciality from global temporal patterns in the ecological rise of early dinosaurs in the Late Triassic, amongst other problems.

There is a Wikipedia article on the mechanism by which the authors were able to date the sediments:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detrital_zircon_geochronology

However, that doesn't explain how they were able to confirm the climatic effects of the cycle.  Hopefully some additional articles will come out with a translation for those of us who are proudly: "Just plain folks!"  :)

Stay tuned!

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Re: Orbits of Jupiter and Venus effecting the earth's climate?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2018, 07:37:36 PM »
I was worried about that "unstable orbit" part until I saw that we are living in the best time; half way between the extremes. Of course, some of the very young folks here may want to prepare...
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

Weatheraardvark

• Gale
  • I hear tornado sirens, lets go climb on the roof
    • C0005
    • KIADESMI1
    • Des Moines Weather and Climate
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 Plus, Fars, Extra sensors
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 11:06:04 PM »
Two things
1.  this explains a lot about what is going on in Washington, DC
2.  Time for me to dig out the aluminum foil hat again.
Davis VP2 Plus; 24h  FARS; Extra Temp Humid sensor (2); Extra Temp Station (2);;Weatherlink IP;USB; MAC Ventura 13.3

; https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddablePage/show/8a7585dd06404bde81d5229b09f84ebb/summary

The Grand Poohbah

• Gale
  • Developer of WeatherCat for iOS, tvOS, and watchOS
    • EW6355 KCANEVAD43
    • Hopeful Hill Ranch
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2, aspirated, solar radiation, uv, soil temp and moisture
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2018, 06:43:40 PM »
Two things
ThU32:-)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Dear X-Air, Weatheraardvark, Grand, and WeatherCat climate watchers with their "head in the stars,"

As I hoped finally there is an explanation that us "just plain folks" can understand from the Smithsonian Magazine:

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/venus-and-jupiter-change-earths-orbit-and-climate-405000-year-cycle-180969038/

Two key pieces of the puzzle were explained:

First, the premise is that the tug of Venus and Jupiter changes the orbit from more circular to more elliptical.  The more elliptical the orbit the more extreme the differences between the heat at closest point to the sun and cold at the furthest separation.

Second, the scientists were able to pull samples from a lake that was periodically going dry.  Using those observations, they were able to make an assessment of the climate at that location over millions of years.

So yes, Venus and Jupiter do effect our climate!  However, their best assessment is that Venus and Jupiter aren't involved in the present case of climate change.

Cheers, Edouard

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2018, 01:07:06 AM »
Two things

Hahahahahaha. Thanks for the laugh.
Blick

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2018, 03:01:58 AM »
Your 'explanation for the common man' was already in the news story I read. Of course, that was in the local, what used to pass for a newspaper, rag and has used a much lower grade level reading-standard than most real newspapers...
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

Weatheraardvark

• Gale
  • I hear tornado sirens, lets go climb on the roof
    • C0005
    • KIADESMI1
    • Des Moines Weather and Climate
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 Plus, Fars, Extra sensors
Dear X-Air, Weatheraardvark, Grand, and WeatherCat climate watchers with their "head in the stars,"

As I hoped finally there is an explanation that us "just plain folks" can understand from the Smithsonian Magazine:

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/venus-and-jupiter-change-earths-orbit-and-climate-405000-year-cycle-180969038/

Two key pieces of the puzzle were explained:

First, the premise is that the tug of Venus and Jupiter changes the orbit from more circular to more elliptical.  The more elliptical the orbit the more extreme the differences between the heat at closest point to the sun and cold at the furthest separation.

Second, the scientists were able to pull samples from a lake that was periodically going dry.  Using those observations, they were able to make an assessment of the climate at that location over millions of years.

So yes, Venus and Jupiter do effect our climate!  However, their best assessment is that Venus and Jupiter aren't involved in the present case of climate change.

Cheers, Edouard
   I appreciate the information, but silliness by me aside, it is nothing I can do about, I am on this ride and have to deal with the driver.   I suspect that the Hippy Dippy Weatherman was right .  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2HpB5CGfLQ
Davis VP2 Plus; 24h  FARS; Extra Temp Humid sensor (2); Extra Temp Station (2);;Weatherlink IP;USB; MAC Ventura 13.3

; https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddablePage/show/8a7585dd06404bde81d5229b09f84ebb/summary