Author Topic: How do have WeatherCat send you text notifications via email.  (Read 1911 times)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
How do have WeatherCat send you text notifications via email.
« on: October 02, 2022, 10:58:24 PM »
Dear WeatherCat faithful,

Many of us have come to rely on text-messaging instead of emails.  Thankfully, it is possible to use the WeatherCat email feature to send text-messages directly to your phone.  This all described in this posting by Dave13:

https://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=3461.msg33189#msg33189

It is so useful that I am going to repeat it here as a sticky topic so it is easier to find:

You can receive text alerts from WeatherCat by sending it like an email directly to the mobile number.
I have my admin emails in WeatherCat setup to go to both an email account and text to me and it works well, attached is a screen shot of a test message received by text.
These cellular service providers can send email to text using the following format:

AT&T:
5551234567@mms.att.net

Verizon:
5551234567@vtext.com

T-Mobile:
5551234567@tmomail.net

Sprint:
1234567890@messaging.sprintpcs.com

If you use a different provider do a web search for "'your provider name' email to text".
If you use more than one address, separate each with a comma and space.

Attached to the original post is an example of a text successfully send from WeatherCat.  I have also tried it on my own installation of WeatherCat and it works perfectly!

Please WeatherCatters share your experiences with using WeatherCat to send texts to your phone in this thread!

Cheers, Edouard

Dave13

• Gentle Breeze
    • CW7890
    • KTNPARSO2
    • ParsonsWeather.com
  • Station Details: Davis VP2
Re: How do have WeatherCat send you text notifications via email.
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2022, 11:29:21 PM »
This is an excellent forum with lots of great people helping each other, I'm happy to help out whenever I can.

To make the WX texts easier to spot in a list of senders in the Messages app, I created a contact for the email address that WeatherCat is using to send the messages. I also added a graphic to the contact.

bob2k2

• Gentle Breeze
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2022, 10:27:35 PM »
Curiously I found that my M1 was already set up with the latest Xcode when I started it it  (IT MIGHT HAVE EVEN LISTED MONTEREY, but it did say iOS16)- so then I thought I'd retry setting up Apple mail in WeatherCat.

When I went to set up WC email Apple email (Apple) VOILA it worked both to an email address as well as a text on T-Mobile to my iPhone!.

Thanks so much.  This is so cool!

Starting Xcode must have been the secret as Dave13 id'd. Thanks Dave13 and everyone else!! [cheer] [cheer] [cheer] [woohoo] [woohoo]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2022, 10:45:25 PM »
Dave13:

Thanks for sharing the texting trick. I had no idea WC would do this and I much prefer it to emails.
Blick

coveredinoil

• Gentle Breeze
    • IGILLI17
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 wireless, iMac running mac os catalina
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2023, 02:20:28 PM »
Does anyone know if this will work in the UK with EE?

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Search for it? (Re: Have WeatherCat send you text notifications via email.)
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2023, 10:12:59 PM »
Dear coveredinoil and WeatherCat fans of SMS

Unfortunately, I do not.  However, you might be able to find the answer by making a web search as suggested in the initial post.  Try: "'your provider name' email to text".

If you find the answer, by all means please do share it with us!

Edouard

coveredinoil

• Gentle Breeze
    • IGILLI17
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 wireless, iMac running mac os catalina
Dear coveredinoil and WeatherCat fans of SMS

Unfortunately, I do not.  However, you might be able to find the answer by making a web search as suggested in the initial post.  Try: "'your provider name' email to text".

If you find the answer, by all means please do share it with us!

Edouard

Thanks, called EE customer support and apparently not a thing over here, only available in US/CA.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Too bad. (Re: Have WeatherCat send you text notifications via email.)
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2023, 11:27:25 PM »
Dear coveredinoil and WeatherCat fans of SMS,

Thanks, called EE customer support and apparently not a thing over here, only available in US/CA.

Sorry to hear that sort of thing isn't supported by your provider.  Perhaps they will add it someday.  It doesn't sound like something that should be too difficult to implement.

Edouard