Author Topic: A Way to Force WC to Ignore Current .plist?  (Read 1323 times)

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
A Way to Force WC to Ignore Current .plist?
« on: August 06, 2018, 11:03:39 PM »
Although I can't find it now, I thought I remembered a way to force WC to start up without using a current plist. Control-key on startup? Option-startup?

I have been 'messing' with Synthetic Channels and found WC (3.02) crashing with what I think is a "System Alert" saying that something to the effect that my "Session has ended...". Unfortunately, it disappears way to fast for me to make a screen capture.

Restarting WC seems to work. The Weather Station Gauges window comes up, but WC crashes again with in a few seconds. I assume I may have created a problem with one of the Synthetic Channels. However, I am still looking for a file that might have those settings stored. Don't see anything in the 'normal' ~/Library/Preferences/com.trixology.weathercat.plist.

Pertinent Crash Log:
Code: [Select]
Thread 0 Crashed:: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
0 com.trixology.weathercat
    0x000000010ea17fad -[SyntheticChannelManager
    runFormula:value_ptr:errorString:
    ignore_disabled:]
    + 5322
1 com.trixology.weathercat
    0x000000010ea183ec -[SyntheticChannelManager
    runAndGetResultString:channel_channel_type:
    ignore_disabled:]
     + 58
2 com.trixology.weathercat
    0x000000010ea16188 -[SyntheticChannelManager
    browser:willDisplayCell:atRow:column:]
    + 387
3 com.apple.AppKit
    0x00007fff48c0e639 -[NSBrowser
    _loadCell:atRow:col:inMatrix:] + 694
4 com.apple.AppKit
    0x00007fff48ab6343 -[NSMatrix drawRect:]
    + 1094

If no one comes up with anything, I'll simply move the current plist and re-build manually. [banghead] OTOH, perhaps a WC plist from earlier today would suffice...

Later... Replaced current plist with one from ~7:30am did not help.

Perhaps a complete re-install of WC? [coffee]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
<CTRL> is "safe mode." (Re: A Way to Force WC to Ignore Current .plist?)
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 11:28:08 PM »
Dear X-Air and WeatherCat users in need of rescue,

Although I can't find it now, I thought I remembered a way to force WC to start up without using a current plist. Control-key on startup? Option-startup?

Look at page 67 of the current WeatherCat manual.  It is called "safe mode" and is accessed by holding down the <CTRL> key as WeatherCat launches.  It does disable synthetic channels so that you can work on them.  Should be what you need.

Cheers, Edouard

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Re: A Way to Force WC to Ignore Current .plist?
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 11:29:11 PM »
Control-Open WC from Dock presented me with the opportunity to Restore from Backup. I may lose some data as it is over 9 hours since the last backup. WC is still running after 5+ minutes. That may not sound like much but it is several powers longer than a few seconds! [cheer]

If it is still running at the 10 minute mark, I may even click the Weather Station Gauges or attempt to use the WC menus! [lol]

Was writing the above when you posted exactly what I needed to do: Read The Manual! [blush]
Code: [Select]
Note: It is also possible to edit
synthetic channels in safe mode -
this is useful if you?ve introduced an
infinite loop in a channel function.
Or any other stupid erer, I hope.  [computer][goofy]

Since I haven't ever used a Synthetic Channel, I'll delete the ones I was 'playing' with!  :o

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 01:17:24 AM »
You can't learn anything new about the powerful features of WeatherCat unless you push a few buttons to see what happens. Thankfully, it's pretty easy to recover from that special combination that you shouldn't have tried in the first place. But fairplay to you for adventuring into new territory.
Blick

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2018, 02:16:31 AM »
it's pretty easy to recover from that special combination that you shouldn't have tried in the first place.
Once again, The Dev provided a fix for those he knew would need it! As Mr. Lincoln once said, "Just because there is a button in an app, that doesn't mean you should click it."