Author Topic: Daily Rain Editor Updates  (Read 1500 times)

MrDave

• Calm
    • KPAKENNE10
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2, WeatherLinkIP, Mac
Daily Rain Editor Updates
« on: August 09, 2018, 09:32:05 PM »
Hello WeatherCat friends.  I had to do some maintenance on my Vantage Pro ISS, including a thorough cleaning and temp/humitity sensor replacement.  In cleaning my rain gauge I introduced a .25 in. rain accumulation just from tipping the bucket back and forth.  It was not raining at the time.  Later the same day it did actually rain an additional .08 in.  I have reset the daily total to ,08 in the Daily Rain Editor, but that reset doesn't seem to be reflected in my custom gauges and graphs.  I know there is probably bountiful information in the Forums, but, I can't find it.  Can someone please point me in the right direction.  Thank you all.

I don't know how I get the descriptor of "Calm", but I am indeed calm, hot though in Pennsylvania.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Daily Rain Editor only effects totals (Re: Daily Rain Editor Updates)
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 10:08:15 PM »
Dear MrDave and WeatherCat faithful,

Hello WeatherCat friends.  I had to do some maintenance on my Vantage Pro ISS, including a thorough cleaning and temp/humitity sensor replacement.  In cleaning my rain gauge I introduced a .25 in. rain accumulation just from tipping the bucket back and forth.  It was not raining at the time.  Later the same day it did actually rain an additional .08 in.  I have reset the daily total to ,08 in the Daily Rain Editor, but that reset doesn't seem to be reflected in my custom gauges and graphs.  I know there is probably bountiful information in the Forums, but, I can't find it.  Can someone please point me in the right direction.  Thank you all.

The Daily Rain Editor is described on page 55 of the WeatherCat manual.  As described there, it only effects the totals.  From that point on, all your statistics and queries will be correct.  The thinking is that the incorrect graphs and gauges will soon disappear into the past.  What is important is the statistics and they will be correct.

It is possible to make the data 100% correct by editing the data files themselves, but that more of a chore.  Let us know if you want those instructions.

In the future, you'll find it easier to temporarily disconnect the sensor by unplugging the cable from the ISS before you start working.  WeatherCat will report the sensor errors, but your data won't be effected.

I don't know how I get the descriptor of "Calm", but I am indeed calm, hot though in Pennsylvania.

The designation "calm" refers to the number of postings you have made.  Most forum software permits you categorize users by the number of postings.  Since this is a weather related website, our fearless leader chose to make the categories as degrees of wind speed.  The scale goes from a scale 1 as 'calm' to a scale 5 as 'storm'.  So if you want to change your descriptor - keep on posting!  ;D

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

MrDave

• Calm
    • KPAKENNE10
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2, WeatherLinkIP, Mac
Re: Daily Rain Editor Updates
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 11:48:26 AM »
Thank you Edouard.  I figured out how to edit the data files, and as you state, that is more of a chore than it's worth.  I can live with the graphs as they are.

That's a good tip about ISS maintenance.  I had the ISS and the console set-up out in my shop, connected to the network, and got a little too enthusiastic tipping the buckets back and forth watching the numbers change.

My real goal for this post is to start shedding my Calm image, and take one step closer to being a Storm, or a Hyper-hurricane.  Not really... pretty quiet guy.

PS:  I continue to become more of a WeatherCat fan the more I learn.

PSS:  I like the emoticon array - here's to ya.  [beer]  [beer]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Additional Davis tips on Wiki. (Re: Daily Rain Editor Updates)
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2018, 11:47:45 PM »
Dear MrDave and WeatherCat Davis owners,

That's a good tip about ISS maintenance.  . . .

There are a few more tips on using a Davis station on the WeatherCat Wiki:

http://wiki.trixology.com/index.php?title=Davis

As far as I know there isn't a better way to avoid getting bad data into WeatherCat.  I have a Davis Weather Envoy and I have quit WeatherCat, performed my maintenance, and then cleared the Davis data logger before restarting WeatherCat.  That also works, but it is more involved.

PSS:  I like the emoticon array - here's to ya.  [beer]  [beer]

[wink] . . . Yes that's nice, but of course some of us have become serious collectors of emoticons! . . . . . . . .  . . . .  . . . . . . . .

Of course when you have too many it does seem to become a can of worms. . .

. . .

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]