Weather > General Weather Discussion

What has been the climate for May according to WeatherCat?

<< < (2/10) > >>

JosBaz:
In the Netherlands, May 2018 was...

Warmer than average (17,2?C versus an average of 14,1)
   Dryer than average (48,20 mm versus an average total of 58,92)
   Calmer than average (a wind run of 1171 km versus an average of 1518)

'Warmer' is an understatement: our Royal National Meteorological Institute's (KNMI) news bulletin stated that May 2018 was the warmest May in at least three centuries, i.e. since reliable measurements started in 1706. The previous record (1889) was crushed by a 0.4?C margin.

I live further south (= warmer) but the KNMI figures of the current top-10 for 'De Bilt' are as below:

Jos

Blicj11:
JosBaz:

I am so impressed that Nederland has 3 centuries of data. Amazing.

elagache:
Dear Jos, Blick, and WeatherCat climate watchers,

--- Quote from: JosBaz on June 01, 2018, 01:06:05 PM ---In the Netherlands, May 2018 was...

Warmer than average (17,2?C versus an average of 14,1)
   Dryer than average (48,20 mm versus an average total of 58,92)
   Calmer than average (a wind run of 1171 km versus an average of 1518)
--- End quote ---

Interesting that everyone else thus far reporting is easily on the high side of normal.  Coastal California has its interaction with the Humboldt cold water current but I wouldn't have expected it to make us so much more the exception.

--- Quote from: JosBaz on June 01, 2018, 01:06:05 PM ---'Warmer' is an understatement: our Royal National Meteorological Institute's (KNMI) news bulleting stated that May 2018 was the warmest May in at least three centuries, i.e. since reliable measurements started in 1706.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: Blicj11 on June 01, 2018, 06:32:32 PM ---I am so impressed that Nederland has 3 centuries of data. Amazing.

--- End quote ---

That is interesting considering that, according to Wikipedia, the first reliable thermometer wasn't invented until 1714 by the Dutchman: Daniel Gabriel Fahrenheit:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermometer#Early_developments

However, it is clear that other schemes were in place before that.  I would be interested to know what was the thermometer that was used in Belgium before the Fahrenheit thermometer was invented.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

xairbusdriver:

--- Quote --- I would be interested to know what was the thermometer that was used in Belgium before the Fahrenheit thermometer was invented.
--- End quote ---
Probably used different types of chocolate... ;)

"1974"?!!! Are you sure about that date? I thought it was 1973.

elagache:
Dear X-Air and WeatherCat purveyors of delicious instruments! . . .  [biggrin]

--- Quote from: xairbusdriver on June 02, 2018, 02:18:16 AM ---
--- Quote --- I would be interested to know what was the thermometer that was used in Belgium before the Fahrenheit thermometer was invented.
--- End quote ---
Probably used different types of chocolate... ;)
--- End quote ---

[wink] . . . . Ah ha!  That explains it!  Fahrenheit had to come up with another thermometer so that people would stop eating it before he could get the daily reading!  lol(1)

--- Quote from: xairbusdriver on June 02, 2018, 02:18:16 AM ---"1974"?!!! Are you sure about that date? I thought it was 1973.

--- End quote ---

[wink] . . . . Da' devil twisted my fingers da' wrong way! . . . . . . . .  [biggrin]

Corrected on the original posting!

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version