Author Topic: New Member Introductions  (Read 51516 times)

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Strong Breeze
New Member Introductions
« on: February 26, 2012, 02:28:37 PM »
Hello folks,
Please spend a few minutes to create a new topic in this forum to introduce yourself, your set-up and anything else you think might be interesting to a bunch of dedicated weather nuts so we may get to know you a little better.

[Edit: This thread's getting a little long - please start new topics in this forum for your introductions - thanks!]

Thanks,
Your friendly admin.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 08:48:23 AM by WCDev »

southwye

• Gentle Breeze
    • DW7665
    • IWALESMO2
    • South Monmouth Weather Station
  • Station Details: VP2/iMac 27"(mid 2011)/LWC 2.11/Logitech cam/CWOP- DW7665/Wunderground - iWALESMO2
Re: New Member Introductions
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 03:49:05 PM »
Good Afternoon one and all,

It's good to see many familiar names from MacWeather.Net.

Best wishes to those behind this new venture.

Mike H

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 10:45:25 AM »
Welcome Mike - nice to see you here  :)

Cheers,
Stu.

jnjackson

• Calm
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Vue, WeatherLink MacOSX, iMac, OSX Lion
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 02:20:43 AM »
New member here in the Sierra Foothills of Northern California. I just got a Vantage Vue Station, running on my iMac OS v10.7.3. I tried out the Weatherlink software and found it very lacking. I am running the WeatherCat v0.93 Build 57 (0.93). It installed really easy. Testing out all the features now.

Jason

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Welcome Jason! (Re: New Member)
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 04:52:42 PM »
Hi WeatherCat fans, and Welcome Jason!  [tup]

New member here in the Sierra Foothills of Northern California. I just got a Vantage Vue Station, running on my iMac OS v10.7.3. I tried out the Weatherlink software and found it very lacking. I am running the WeatherCat v0.93 Build 57 (0.93). It installed really easy. Testing out all the features now.

That's very much what happened to me when I first got my Vantage Pro-2 in October 2009.  I tried WeatherLink and . . . .  ::)  Soon I was on MacUpdate looking for something better . . . .   The rest is history . . .  ;D

Welcome to the "California delegation" of WeatherCat.  I'm in the San Francisco East Bay.  There is a little wimpy storm headed your way (if not gone by now.)  However, next week . . . the National Weather Service fellers' are getting excited[thunder]

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 07:01:57 PM »
Welcome to the Trixology forum, Mike and Jason!

There is a lot of good information starting to collect here with WeatherCat testing. Keep us updated on how your setups are working.

You might also want to check in over at www.MacWeather.com, which is the forum for WeatherCat's predecessor. There you will find much more information on using weather hardware and software on the Mac in addition to the LWC discussion.

Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

dmk

• Calm
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Snow Leopard
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 03:26:35 PM »
Hello from the Santa Cruz mountains just outside the Bay Area.

I've been running LWC for some time and am absolutely delighted to find that we have a new development path for this great software. My station is a Vantage Pro 2, and data is updated real-time to wunderground.

http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KCALOSGA18

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 06:00:58 PM »
Welcome to the forums dmk.

Cheers,
Stu.

Doc

• Strong Breeze
  • Fly by night Eccentric
    • N9CXI
    • kinnindia
    • N9CXI Eastwood Indianapolis Indiana WX station
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2, Mac mini, 2gig Ram 25tb storage, 1 weather web cams.
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 09:29:31 PM »
Man, I leave for a while and come back and everything has changed again   [rockon]

I'm Doc (used to be Tardarian on LWC), retired now, and don't get as much time online as I used to.  I will be upgrading from LWC to WC very soon.  My system hasn't changed, still running a Mac G5 Quad 6gig ram and 65tb storage.  I'm using a Davis Vantage Pro 2 wireless station and have been working with another university researcher for several years on a weather camera project.  The cam is down at the moment due to loss of transmission.  Have a new cam, but due to broken bones on my part I'm not able at the moment to fix the cam problem right now. 

Glad to see Stu back up again.

Still in Indianapolis, Indiana.  Winter has ended, temperatures have been in the 80s this week, actually winter never arrived here.  We are at the beginning of our severe storm season and have already had several towns in southern Indiana erased by tornados in the last few weeks. 

Again, I'll be upgrading and it's fantastic to see Stu back again!

Take care and have fun!
Doc
Take care and have fun!  Slainte Mah!

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2012, 09:59:43 PM »
Hi Doc
 Glad to see you back
Good luck and hope the bones heal fast
 [cheers1]

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2012, 10:19:30 PM »
Man, I leave for a while and come back and everything has changed again   [rockon]

I'm Doc (used to be Tardarian on LWC), retired now, and don't get as much time online as I used to.  I will be upgrading from LWC to WC very soon.  My system hasn't changed, still running a Mac G5 Quad 6gig ram and 65tb storage.  I'm using a Davis Vantage Pro 2 wireless station and have been working with another university researcher for several years on a weather camera project.  The cam is down at the moment due to loss of transmission.  Have a new cam, but due to broken bones on my part I'm not able at the moment to fix the cam problem right now. 

Glad to see Stu back up again.

Still in Indianapolis, Indiana.  Winter has ended, temperatures have been in the 80s this week, actually winter never arrived here.  We are at the beginning of our severe storm season and have already had several towns in southern Indiana erased by tornados in the last few weeks. 

Again, I'll be upgrading and it's fantastic to see Stu back again!

Take care and have fun!
Doc

Good to see you back Doc! And welcome to the forum!

Is the story behind the broken bones interesting?

Cheers,
Stu.

Doc

• Strong Breeze
  • Fly by night Eccentric
    • N9CXI
    • kinnindia
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2, Mac mini, 2gig Ram 25tb storage, 1 weather web cams.
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2012, 12:04:10 AM »
Hi Stu, glad to be back.  No, it's not interesting, I had an argument between gravity, the ground and some Ice last February and I lost.   I was in the Hoosier National Forest at a Scout Camp and ended up thinking I had just sprained it badly.  So I walked on it for three days before getting xrayed and finding out it was broken.  SOOOO, I've been in a cast since then.  Two more weeks and I get that off and hope to be back stumping around as normal again after that!

Doc

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Hurray! Welcome home Doc!! (Re: New Member)
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2012, 07:47:42 PM »
Welcome back Doc!!

I'm Doc (used to be Tardarian on LWC), retired now, and don't get as much time online as I used to.  I will be upgrading from LWC to WC very soon.  My system hasn't changed, still running a Mac G5 Quad 6gig ram and 65tb storage.  I'm using a Davis Vantage Pro 2 wireless station and have been working with another university researcher for several years on a weather camera project.  The cam is down at the moment due to loss of transmission. 

Sorry to report but your Mac is about to lose WeatherCat support because of Apple's incessant attempt to "invent progress."  :(  Stu can't support the PowerPC architecture much longer because the Xcode development environment doesn't . . .  >:(

Have a new cam, but due to broken bones on my part I'm not able at the moment to fix the cam problem right now.  No, it's not interesting, I had an argument between gravity, the ground and some Ice last February and I lost.

Oh Doc, I thought you knew better!  ;)  Don't you know what they say about gravity . . . . not only a good idea - it's the law!!  [lol2]

That's the word all over the Midwest.  In California we've been having a horrible drought . . . . well that's what I thought until I discovered a badly messed up storm drain and got more than double the normal March rainfall . . . .  [banghead]  Funny now things like that go together!!

Welcome again!!

Doc

• Strong Breeze
  • Fly by night Eccentric
    • N9CXI
    • kinnindia
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2012, 08:43:52 PM »
Thanks Edouard.  I did read that there wouldn't be any more support for my old G5 Quad, too bad, but I'll take it as far as I can.  I have been looking for a very cheap mac mini to run a dedicated weather station on, but funds are limited now that I'm retired on disability.  It's better than nothing, but I'm in the GAP again, paying $700/month for insulin till I can climb out of it again.  But the intel mini is on the list of things to get. 

I like the way things look with WC, and I'm looking forward to switching even for a little while.  I'm still dealing with the colon cancer, but it's been good news so far.  The one year colonoscopy was clear  ;D  and I'm having the one year CT scan next week, it should be clear as well  ;D  And that puts me into the one year survivors list and in remission!  [woohoo]  It's been an interesting ride to say the least. 

Our camera project has blossomed into some interesting areas.  I've got about 12 cams out in the yard now, only one is running for weather though.  The rest are astronomical.  I've got solar tracking cameras, lunar tracking cameras, Betelgeuse tracking cameras, some with telephoto, some with wide angle (all sky), some daylight only, some extreme low light for night only.   Only problem is that whenever there is something interesting going on in our local sky, we have local clouds and can't see it  [banghead]  But the technology is fun to play with.  None of the cameras is online though, they all dump to disk for later review. 

Mostly working on a new communications truck for amateur radio.  N9CXI runs all mode for 160m-10m, 6m, FM 2m, 70cm, and APRS (N9CXI-9) on 2m.  Have some weather equipment coming for the truck too, not much, but a little.  Would love to have another Davis and be able to run WC mobile!  But then Stu would have to incorporate GPS tracking with the software....... [goofy]  I can see it now, having to correct wind direction from the wind vane for direction of travel  [biggrin]

Take care and have fun!
Slainte Mah!

Doc

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Home things work out. (Re: New Member)
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2012, 02:29:57 AM »
Howdy Doc and WeatherCat fans,  [cat]

Thanks Edouard.  I did read that there wouldn't be any more support for my old G5 Quad, too bad, but I'll take it as far as I can.  I have been looking for a very cheap mac mini to run a dedicated weather station on, but funds are limited now that I'm retired on disability.  It's better than nothing, but I'm in the GAP again, paying $700/month for insulin till I can climb out of it again.  But the intel mini is on the list of things to get. 

Stu wasn't happy about this and I'm not either.  Apple is really crushing the past by this sort of move.  I have a real problem hanging on to an old graphics program I've used since 1993 or so.  All the graphics in my Ph.D. were done with it.  I really hate to lose access to them and simply a program I've become skilled using for so long.  This mania about progress is destroying the past and . . . . nobody cares . . .   :'(

I'm still dealing with the colon cancer, but it's been good news so far.  The one year colonoscopy was clear  ;D  and I'm having the one year CT scan next week, it should be clear as well  ;D  And that puts me into the one year survivors list and in remission!  [woohoo]  It's been an interesting ride to say the least. 

Glad the news is good!!  [bounce]  Doctors claim to have all the answers, but sooner or later the healing has to come from something beyond scientific control.  Glad you find yourself blessed!

Mostly working on a new communications truck for amateur radio.  N9CXI runs all mode for 160m-10m, 6m, FM 2m, 70cm, and APRS (N9CXI-9) on 2m.  Have some weather equipment coming for the truck too, not much, but a little.  Would love to have another Davis and be able to run WC mobile!  But then Stu would have to incorporate GPS tracking with the software....... [goofy]  I can see it now, having to correct wind direction from the wind vane for direction of travel  [biggrin]

I've got an analogously "interesting" idea associated with the continuing restoration of my trusty wagon:  .  I'm hoping to eventually pair her with an airstream travel trailer and thought it would be really neat to have a weather station that would be deployed at every camping ground.  So far through I haven't made much headway in convincing Stu to start on the WeatherCat Camping Edition!!   [biggrin]

Take care of yourself and all your neat projects!!  [tup]