Author Topic: Weather Underground issues  (Read 6041 times)

Val33

• Gentle Breeze
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Underground issues
« on: January 10, 2014, 11:04:15 AM »
Hi All

I keep having issues with Weather Underground. http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=IENGLAND451

Several times a day it behaves as if my station is 'offline', but I can see the updates running in WC and the history table on WU shows that the updates are getting through.

The effect is that my station does not appear on WU maps, any station page only updates if I refresh the page and the PWS Sticky on the right hand side of the page just shows 'NaN' for all items (but the sticky at the bottom of the page is normal!).

I've seen this happen on and off for the past few months.

I don't think this is a WC issue, but for the record I'm on the latest release.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Val

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
Re: Weather Underground issues
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 05:36:53 PM »
Not seeing any issues here Val - it might be they are doing some server work so although the basic logging at their end is working, related stuff is having problems? Anyone else seeing this?

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 05:50:16 PM »
Hi Stu, Val and cat fans
 WU is doing a bunch of up grading and testing new formats
Should be OK now but will be doing this again shortly

Hope this helps

cheers

[cheers1]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Seeing intermitant issues also. (Re: Weather Underground issues)
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 08:25:39 PM »
Dear WeatherCat Wunderground users,

Yup, I'm seeing occasional "issuez" with Weather Underground as well.  The good news is that my WC Status Growler AppleScript keeps me aware of such things.  Alas, the bad news is that my WC Status Growler AppleScript growls and growls and growls for each error.  It can clutter up my display in a hurry!!

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

P.S. I'm also seeing FTP errors that are related to uploading the webcam image to Weather Underground.

Randall75

• Storm
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 09:46:49 PM »
Hi WeatherCat Fans
 If you go to your WU Forecast page there should be a link there for one of the new beta's that they are testing

cheers

[cheers1]

Val33

• Gentle Breeze
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Vue
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2014, 12:09:12 AM »
OK, thanks all. I actually fixed todays issue by stopping and re-starting the WU upload.

I like the look of the WU beta station page, but can't help feeling they've made an error with the wind vane. Why do they feel they need to ignore convention? The page is also lacking any upload history which is a shame.

Val

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2014, 04:14:13 PM »
The page is also lacking any upload history which is a shame.

History is coming to the beta but they haven't released it yet.

I also recently experienced the same problems you had with uploading to WU. If you open the WeatherCat Status Tool during those WU communication "blackouts" you will see a message in the Wunderground status line that says "Server Offline" which lets you know the problem is on the WU end and not with WeatherCat.
Blick

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
    • WU for Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless Vantage Pro 2, iMac 24"
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2014, 07:06:00 PM »
Hello there Stu and WC users,

I don't know if everyone knows it yet, but WU was recently acquired by WC. Oops! No. Not Weather Cat. Weather Channel; the big kid on the block when it comes to monetizing the weather information; The one with the TV channel on cable and satellite; The one that wrote the book on how to clutter up their HTML information with tons of ad feeds. Sorry. I digress.

Anyhoo, they've got WU and they are doing lots of work trying to improve their new addition. From the looks of the Beta page, they've got some pretty talented people working for them. Apparently they are really young, but dedicated and eager to get it right. There is a feedback option on the Beta, so feel free to steer them back in the right direction, should they try to get too fancy and ignore convention.

They apparently inherited a server nightmare. It is completely overwhelmed with traffic every time there is a weather event, making it almost useless here in the midwestern US. But, the features of the Wundermap and the potential for an easy, permanent, and likable web presence for every personal weather station make it worth supporting.

Let's give them all the support we can and encourage them to make WU better than ever!
Herb

Randall75

• Storm
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2014, 07:15:17 PM »
Hi BullWinkus and Cat family
 I talk to them on the phone They are moving to a new and bigger building with new servers the Weather Channel wants to start using data from its personal weather stations to help with weather reporting and to make thing better at WU and TWC they are spending some money to do this

cheers

[cheers1]

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
    • WU for Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless Vantage Pro 2, iMac 24"
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2014, 07:26:25 PM »
Thanks Randall,

That's great news!