Author Topic: Web cams in use  (Read 20368 times)

LesCimes

• Strong Breeze
    • CW9832
    • KGAGRACE1
    • Weather Underground
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2 on a MacMini (2009) Mac OS 10.11.6
Re: Web cams in use
« Reply #45 on: May 22, 2015, 01:17:59 AM »
I'd suggest that you will be happier with a reputable cam in the long run, though more expensive up front. At least that is the way I often end up buying, i.e. buying up. My wife has gotten use to it.

Felix

• Gale
  • Station Details: Davis VP-2 Plus, FARS, WeatherLink IP. Sharx cams.
« Reply #46 on: May 22, 2015, 03:02:15 AM »
I'm hoping that EvoCam or even WC can do the frame capture of the stream. Gotta check the EveoCam and WC Manuals...

EvoCam certainly can...timed and/or motion detected within a user-defined area of the camera's FOV.

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #47 on: May 22, 2015, 04:13:56 AM »
From page 170, WC User Manual:
WeatherCat can capture images from your camera at predetermined intervals.
Never hurts to read the manual...;)
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #48 on: May 22, 2015, 06:21:06 AM »
I'd suggest that you will be happier with a reputable cam in the long run, though more expensive up front.

Could not agree more. My experience with the low cost Chinese cameras was very frustrating and a complete waste of my time.
Blick

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #49 on: May 22, 2015, 02:55:32 PM »
I haven't done the math, but I think it's safe to say at least 69.37% of the cameras on the EvoCam list of the "supported cameras" are from China. I have followed the links to every brand. Are there any cameras meeting these requirements:
    1. Outdoor
    2. PoE
    3. 1280x720 (minimum)
    4. Under $200

This Poll lists only four brands (7 total users/votes). They are all made in China, as far as I know. There are six users/votes for "Other". The only brand actually named is "Axis", again, a Chinese made camera. It would be nice to know what the other six brands are, even if they are actually all one. ;) Such are the vagaries with volunteer surveying. [lol]

Even the $200 price is more than I want to spend. This is, after all, a hobby, most of us don't have a 'security system', I just want to display a scene in my yard with occasional weather phenomena. I don't even need the $800+ I've spent on the weather collection station to know and see what's happening out the window. [biggrin]

For most, a USB "web cam" is probably sufficient. I don't think those were designed with distant, landscape views in mind, that's just my opinion, of course. An extremely lengthy thread at WxForums discusses how to put "glasses" on one particular model! :)

This has been mostly an educational experience for me. I now know more about DDNS, USB, Ethernet, and wireless differences and what each is best and worst at. I hope the posts by so many participants have been helpful to others as much as they have been to me. [coffee]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Compromise - Chinese camera with US support (Re: Web cams in use)
« Reply #50 on: May 22, 2015, 10:39:44 PM »
Dear X-Air, Michael, Felix, Blick, and WeatherCat savvy shopper,

I haven't done the math, but I think it's safe to say at least 69.37% of the cameras on the EvoCam list of the "supported cameras" are from China.
. . . .

Even the $200 price is more than I want to spend.

These days, it is very hard to buy - anything - that isn't made in China or at last parts made in China.  Your Davis station was assembled in the USofA but from domestic and imported parts.

I agree with you.  You shouldn't spend too much money on this - particularly when you aren't sure how much the webcam will add to your experience.  If you are having mixed feelings about this, just grab a Logitech 9000 and get started with that.  I've had one for over 2 years and honestly I don't feel any burning need to replace it. 

Having watched the posts on this thread, I have some temptation to purchase a camera like Michael's D-Link DCS-2330L:

http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-Wireless-Surveillance-mydlink-Enabled-DCS-2330L/dp/B00ISE2PB2/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1432330487&sr=1-1&keywords=d-link+dcs-2330l

That's still under $150, gets the camera outside, and provides HD images.

As others suggest, resign yourself to buying a Chinese camera, but at least buy it from a reputable company and dealer that will allow you to return it if you have real problems.  That's the best compromise.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

SeanA

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW3381
    • INLANARK2
    • northlanarkshireweather.co.uk
  • Station Details: Davis Instruments Vantage VUE /MAC MINI/WeatherCat
« Reply #51 on: May 22, 2015, 10:43:04 PM »
Sorry posted incorrect. Not D Link
AXIS M1011-W Network Camera
 [cheers1]
Cheers

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2015, 12:31:18 AM »
SeanA, I missed your post (incorrect or not). Are you saying you 'voted' in te poll incorrectly? No problem, either way, you now have the brand/model in plain site! Thanks! [tup]

I've done a considerable amount of surfing/image copying/company sleuthing on the EvoCam "Supported Cameras" list. (And I still got some items off the 'Honey do' list!) For some strange reason, I started at the end of the list and worked my way up to "Intellinet". Could only find proof that nine companies made their hardware in either China or Taiwan. But several others just don't identify the 'manufacturing' location(s). Didn't bother researching Samsung, Sony, or Panasonic; they may have 'contacts' in China, just like Apple! ;)

The distance from the mini to the back of the house, over the attic that's also over the second story, makes PoE the logical choice for economic reasons; PoE hardware is much cheaper than USB extensions, and is a mature technology. Also, I can barely get one bar of WiFi signal strength (on my iPhone, admittedly a poor measurement tool) in the location I plan on using, and a power source would still be needed.

My next research will be for reliable and helpful US-based suppliers. I've already had contact with "Nelly's Security". They are just over the hill in Tulsa, OK. I might be able to get Bull to run over there and 'case the joint'. :P [lol]

LesCimes

• Strong Breeze
    • CW9832
    • KGAGRACE1
    • Weather Underground
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2 on a MacMini (2009) Mac OS 10.11.6
« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2015, 01:36:27 AM »
Impressive background research for this project. Will be fun to see it come together. By the way, the D-Link I purchase also has a PoE version that I recommended and was used at my school. It is a bit more expensive, but is doing well, has a sharp image and pretty good light receptivity.

gb509

• Gentle Breeze
    • D6143
    • IGREATER38
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Daytime FARS Solar and UV, iMac OS 10.11
« Reply #54 on: May 30, 2015, 04:14:38 PM »
Panasonic BB-HCM735

Pro's easy install POE outdoor camera, good picture.
Con expensive compared to many others, PC centric ( a Mac ???) and grabbing a picture for WC I have never managed but to Wunderground it works flawless

Updated to newer model

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #55 on: May 30, 2015, 04:54:50 PM »
Just to clarify my previous comments. I don't have a problem with cameras made in China. I have experienced ridiculous problems with cheap cameras that are made for a PC, claim to work on a Mac and tech support is in China. Sricam is a brand that comes to mind and there are several others. Most of these are rebranded from the OEM. Here is an example of an exchange I had with tech support:

Me: Is the CMS DeviceViewer for Mac available in English? I cannot use the Mandarin version in the download.
Them: hi, software supports English interface, after you install successfully displayed in English.
Me: I can connect the IP Camera to my iMac with a network cable but I cannot connect wireless.
Them: I have not tried it, I do not know whether you can support, but you can put encryption into numbers and letters, and then connect the test, so that you can determine the success or failure, is not it? I hope you can try.

So, in other words, after I install using the Mandarin interface, which I cannot understand and have no idea which button to push, it will display in English. And they don't know if it will work or not but they hope I can try.

I even tracked down the OEM and asked if they would provide tech support for the camera. They told me I had to contact the seller. I told them the seller couldn't  help me. They replied, "Next time, don't buy from them."

These cameras were a complete waste of my time and I returned them. They were worth what I paid and I learned if you pay a little more you get a product that is designed to work on a Mac and tech support is provided by someone who can conjugate verbs.

I do applaud your research Xair and am interested in your findings so thanks for posting.
Blick

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #56 on: May 30, 2015, 05:17:29 PM »
First, a big thanks to gb509 for the info! Can you give us a link to your WU page?

Second, I understand your experience was frustrating Blick. My only question is "What's a 'verb'?" [roll] I hope you can try it? [removed link to the now castly photobucket.com site]

I intend to write down that superb "advice" the OEM gave you... "Next time, don't buy from them." Maybe you could have suggested a corollary to him; "Next time, don't sell to them." [rolleyes2]

I've been too busy to do much this week, but I've pretty much decided to get a 'Chinese' PoE camera from a reputable, USA retailer. They are close enough that I can take the rock with the great advice on it and toss it through their window, if I need to. [cheer] [rockon]
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 05:40:55 PM by xairbusdriver »