Author Topic: WeatherCat uploads to WU *WEBCAM*  (Read 5646 times)

jennajon

• Gentle Breeze
    • FW2882
    • KMEGLENB7
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus With FARS, Solar and UV sensors, MAC 27 in. Retina, WeatherCat vers. 3.05 build 27
WeatherCat uploads to WU *WEBCAM*
« on: November 13, 2017, 10:40:07 AM »
Here we go again....is anyone else having outage/error issues FTPing
images to their PWS on WU??

Here is information from WC log:
03:34:14 13-Nov-2017:  Wunderground: Getting web cam picture file.
 03:34:14 13-Nov-2017:  Wunderground: Wunderground image ready for FTP - added to FTP queue.
 03:34:15 13-Nov-2017:  FTP: FTP upload starting.
 03:34:15 13-Nov-2017:  FTP: Uploading image.jpg.
 03:34:15 13-Nov-2017:  FTP: curl: (28) Timeout was reached

03:34:15 13-Nov-2017:  FTP: FTP ERROR (28) - Upload timed out.
 03:34:15 13-Nov-2017:  FTP: FTP ERROR 910: Failed to complete upload (null) - retrying in 1 second.

Of course the retry fails.

Absolutely NOTHING has changed on my end, have been uploading for YEARS from Blue Iris and that is failing with same error.

i think perhaps it might be time to kill the webcam uploads to WU permanently..... [banghead]

--jenna feeling a bit angry

jennajon

• Gentle Breeze
    • FW2882
    • KMEGLENB7
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus With FARS, Solar and UV sensors, MAC 27 in. Retina, WeatherCat vers. 3.05 build 27
Re: WeatherCat uploads to WU *WEBCAM*
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 11:46:24 AM »
Although i may be a bit premature, it appears
that WU may be killing off FTP uploads; i set up yet another
camera as URL forwarded and that one is now showing as needing
approval.

Any of the other cams i have set up as FTP are showing as no longer active.

*facepalm*

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 03:39:36 PM »
Jennajon:

The problem is on WU's end. Webcam uploads are frequently broken on my account. About every 5 or six weeks for the last year I have noticed my uploads to WU don't upload. I send their tech support an email and ask them repair the link to my camera. A couple of says later the uploads start working again. Then the process repeats itself. Although WU is by far the largest repository of backyard weather station information in the world, they don't seem to pay much attention these days to the quality of their PWS interface.
Blick

Weatheraardvark

• Gale
  • I hear tornado sirens, lets go climb on the roof
    • C0005
    • KIADESMI1
    • Des Moines Weather and Climate
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 Plus, Fars, Extra sensors
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 06:02:12 PM »
I guess no one told any of you that WU  is no longer accepting webcam images from us.  Wedneday, Jeff Masters said an announcement should be on the sign up page that as of Dec.15 that service will be discontinued.

Many of us have had our webcams deactivated and no longer publishing.
In part, here is the message we have received from Jeff:
 thanks for all your reporting of issues with webcams over the past few months. Due to the difficulty we've had maintaining this feature, its negative ROI, and the downsizing of our staff, it has been decided to drop the webcam feature from WU on December 15. An announcement will go up on our webcam page on Wednesday

So the problem is with WU and not WC.
Davis VP2 Plus; 24h  FARS; Extra Temp Humid sensor (2); Extra Temp Station (2);;Weatherlink IP;USB; MAC Ventura 13.3

; https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddablePage/show/8a7585dd06404bde81d5229b09f84ebb/summary

jennajon

• Gentle Breeze
    • FW2882
    • KMEGLENB7
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 06:51:25 PM »
I guess no one told any of you that WU  is no longer accepting webcam images from us.  Wedneday, Jeff Masters said an announcement should be on the sign up page that as of Dec.15 that service will be discontinued.

thanks for all your reporting of issues with webcams over the past few months. Due to the difficulty we've had maintaining this feature, its negative ROI, and the downsizing of our staff, it has been decided to drop the webcam feature from WU on December 15. An announcement will go up on our webcam page on Wednesday

Many thanks for this information.....and i had a feeling that is what was going on. *sighs*  It is precisely why i posted the error information for discussion rather than point fingers at WC. WU has deteriorated since being bought...again. [interesting]

awilltx

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 08:09:30 PM »
WU has deteriorated since being bought...again.

Next thing you know, we will have to pay them to upload weather station info.

Sigh...again

Alan

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2017, 08:42:04 PM »
We are already giving them one of their products for free. What kind of reverse, obtuse "logic" could lead them to charge us?! [banghead] [rolleyes2] :o I already have a site, the hosting of which I pay for, I'll never pay them a nickel to post my info.

The key reason for their dropping this feature is in the three letters: ROI. If they can't justify server space while being owned by IBM, they will never be able to with anyone else. Sounds like some one hired a bunch of ex-airline 'execs': "Lets drop all the stuff people were getting for free and charge them for it! That should cut down on those pesky, time-consuming complainers we used to call 'customers'." cmu:-)
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 09:10:13 PM »

Thanks for sharing. I had not seen that, but just noticed my webcam upload has been deactivated by WU. I remind you to go to WeatherCat Preferences and uncheck the option to Upload Webcam Image in the Wunderground PWS window to save a bit of your upload bandwidth.
Blick

Weatheraardvark

• Gale
    • C0005
    • KIADESMI1
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2017, 09:29:09 PM »
Well, we always do have our own web pages should be able to show our camera images.     [sweat2]
Davis VP2 Plus; 24h  FARS; Extra Temp Humid sensor (2); Extra Temp Station (2);;Weatherlink IP;USB; MAC Ventura 13.3

; https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddablePage/show/8a7585dd06404bde81d5229b09f84ebb/summary

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Link to Jeff Masters announcement? (Re: WeatherCat uploads to WU *WEBCAM*)
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2017, 10:47:25 PM »
Dear jennajon, Blick, Weatheraardvark, Alan, X-Air, and WeatherCat faithful who find the rest of the world decidedly less faithful,

Definitely disappointing news.    Once more as Jimmy Durante would say: "Such are da' conditions that prevail . . . . . "

Does anybody have a link to the original announcement by Jeff Masters?  I'm curious to know what else might have been announced that I should be disappointed about.

Oh well, . . . . . Edouard

Weatheraardvark

• Gale
    • C0005
    • KIADESMI1
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2017, 11:06:30 PM »
Have you ever tried to speak directly to a human at WU?  text a Human?   me neither.

Out of desperation, we contacted their active meteorlogists because we have a name and  they have given their email.   I am guessing you should do some digging . Oh helll,   jmasters@wunderground.com    go for it. lol(1)

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2017, 01:44:08 AM »
Yes, I have had several email interactions with WU tech support.

Go here and click on Contact Support in the upper right corner ==> http://help.wunderground.com/#request

They don't always reply, but sometimes they do. I suspect that as soon as they figure out that PWS owners are contacting them in this manner, they will suspend this service on the basis of low ROI. After all, if you remove enough services, you don't really need Customer Support, do you?
Blick

Felix

• Gale
  • Station Details: Davis VP-2 Plus, FARS, WeatherLink IP. Sharx cams.
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2017, 07:28:07 PM »
I got a kick out of Meteotemplate's Jachym on another forum who had the following to say about WU:

"If their goal is to shut down all services which are buggy and unreliable I think they could call it a day altogether."

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2017, 07:54:52 PM »
Hahaha. Dead on, mate. Thanks for sharing his comment.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
What isn't buggy? (Re: WeatherCat uploads to WU *WEBCAM*)
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2017, 11:20:36 PM »
Dear Weatheraardvark, Blick, Felix, and WeatherCat faithful,

"If their goal is to shut down all services which are buggy and unreliable I think they could call it a day altogether."

[wink] . . . Hmm, if someone started to shutdown every IT service on planet earth that was buggy and unreliable - when all is said and done, would there be anything still running?  [biggrin]

Besides WeatherCat of course!  [WCSmall]  [bounce]

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]