Author Topic: New Member Introductions  (Read 51522 times)

ShayneThill

• Calm
  • Station Details: Dell win7
Re: New Member Introductions
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2013, 09:45:59 AM »
Lol - I wonder if we'll ever see GPS built-in?

Stu.

There are already mobile weather stations with GPS built in.
http://www.airmartechnology.com/2009/products/marine-product.asp?prodid=11150
You can also download  not only GPS tracking apps but also phone blocker apps.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2013, 07:27:26 PM »
Dear ShayneThill and WeatherCat welcoming committee,

First, Welcome to the WeatherCat forum!

There are already mobile weather stations with GPS built in.
http://www.airmartechnology.com/2009/products/marine-product.asp?prodid=11150
You can also download  not only GPS tracking apps but also phone blocker apps.

Hmm, I'm not quite sure what you are referring to here?  This thread to got detoured to the idea of a mobile version of the WeatherCat software so that you could keep track of the weather while traveling or vacationing.  I'm not sure how you could use GPS tracking apps.  Is your suggestion that your cell-phone could be "close enough" to a mobile weather station that it's coordinates could substitute?

It isn't perfect, but I suppose it could be made into a "better than nothing" system to feed into a weather software package the location of the instruments.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

LFCweatherman

• Calm
  • Station Details: Vantage Vue with Mac
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2014, 06:03:23 PM »
Hi I am a new member and have read through many of the valuable posts but would like to ask for some assistance.
I have a Vantage Vue using a Mac. I have installed the Vantage Vue on a college campus as a project and I'm not a website guru.
I have read the WeatherCat manual and the simple web page seems easy enough but I'm not understanding the ftp details. if I could get further details it would be much appreciated.
Thank you in advance for any tips or advice.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Welcome! (Re: New Member Introductions)
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2014, 09:23:44 PM »
Dear LFCweatherman and WeatherCat welcoming committee,

First things first, Welcome to the WeatherCat forum!

Hi I am a new member and have read through many of the valuable posts but would like to ask for some assistance.
I have a Vantage Vue using a Mac. I have installed the Vantage Vue on a college campus as a project and I'm not a website guru.
I have read the WeatherCat manual and the simple web page seems easy enough

You shouldn't have any trouble getting the simple web page feature working.  It is basically an option that you turn on.  The web pages are already designed for you and work just fine.

but I'm not understanding the ftp details. if I could get further details it would be much appreciated.
Thank you in advance for any tips or advice.

Well, there really isn't much more to it than what is described in the WeatherCat manual.  The relevant sections start on page 84 and 115.   And there is some additional troubleshooting information on the WeatherCat Wiki that you'll find here:

http://wiki.trixology.com/index.php/Troubleshooting_FTP_connection_problems

If that doesn't solve your problems, please start a new thread describing what you have tried and what error messages or other information in this topic:

http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?board=13.0

One more thing you could try to do is search the forum postings to see if others have had problems similar to what you are experiencing.

Hope this is enough to get you moving at least a little further.

Welcome again to the WeatherCat forum and hope you enjoy using WeatherCat as much as us regulars enjoy it!  [computer]

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2014, 06:38:37 AM »
Hi I am a new member

Welcome to the forum LFCweatherman.
Blick

BartonCamberley

• Calm
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Vue, WeatherLink USB data logger, iMac
« Reply #35 on: December 25, 2015, 01:35:36 PM »
Hi, from a grey and dreary uk.

I am a novice hoping to help my wife, Anne,set up her Davis Vantage Vue with Weathercat on her MacBook Air. Have looked at Davis data loggers and am trying to decide which one to opt for.

Ron Barton

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #36 on: December 25, 2015, 09:52:25 PM »
Welcome aboard, Ron! Hope your weather improves soon! Santa had to put floats on his sleigh to make his rounds here last night. Fortunately, there was plenty of lightening to let him see where he was going. It's beautiful now! Still too warm for the season, however!

You've come to the right place for good info and help for Weather Cat and even Davis hardware. You may get quicker answers in the Hardware section. Or just search for "data logger" here. I'm no expert at all. I use the one that converts the Console output to connect through the USB port.
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #37 on: December 25, 2015, 11:19:03 PM »
Have looked at Davis data loggers and am trying to decide which one to opt for.

Welcome Barton!

I have lived in the UK and there are some lovely weather days there. Of course, it's a wee bit baltic this time of year.

As for the data logger, you will want to look at this entry in the WeatherCat Wiki:

http://wiki.trixology.com/index.php/A_comparison_of_the_Davis_USB_and_IP_data_loggers_for_the_Vantage-2/Vue_line_of_weather_stations

After you read it, if you have questions, post in the hardware forum.

Merry Christmas!
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Welcome! (Re: New Member Introductions)
« Reply #38 on: December 25, 2015, 11:50:55 PM »
Dear Ron, Blick, X-Air and WeatherCat welcome wagon . . . .

First welcome to the WeatherCat forum! . . .

I am a novice hoping to help my wife, Anne,set up her Davis Vantage Vue with Weathercat on her MacBook Air. Have looked at Davis data loggers and am trying to decide which one to opt for.

Blick's advice is the best we can give without a few more details about how you want to use the station.  Please do create a new post in this topic:

http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?board=16.0

It is important that we understand things like whether or not the plan is to keep the Mac connected to the station at all times, whether there is an Ethernet network in the house, things like that.  The best choice of a data logger depends on the application.

Thanks again for joining us and we look forward to hearing more details of the setup you and your wife would iike to create!

Cheers, Edouard

P.S. If you haven't installed the station yet, you might want to read through this thread about station installation:

http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=438.0

and look at how some of us have setup our stations:

http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=969.0

It might give you some food for thought.

ETA51

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW7149
    • KMDSYKES9
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, iMac (mid-2011)
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2016, 01:57:00 PM »
Greetings all -

Wanted a weather station forever and finally got one for my birthday in 2013.  Have it set up in the backyard in north central Maryland, in between Westminster and Sykesville.  We've an acre, did my best with the placement, but there are trees in two directions that make placement less than ideal for the anemometer.  Other interests include chess, geocaching, photography, birding and Lego.   

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2016, 04:49:59 PM »
Welcome to the forum ETA51. Glad to have you aboard.

I visited Maryland once and enjoyed it.

Happy New Year.
Blick

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2016, 05:13:40 PM »
Welcome AboaRd, ETA51! I think I saw a post from you earlier this week. It's always good to have some semi-personal info about weather 'phreques', however! Thanks for introducing yourself! ThU32:-)

It's always interesting to read people's 'screen name'. ETA51 may simply be your initials and year of birth... or something entirely different! My middle initial is "A" and 51 is my IQ (as others here can attest). Maybe a future age hope to reach? Or when something great arrived for you? Great minds... and mine, also!
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

Weatheraardvark

• Gale
  • I hear tornado sirens, lets go climb on the roof
    • C0005
    • KIADESMI1
    • Des Moines Weather and Climate
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 Plus, Fars, Extra sensors
« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2016, 05:52:14 PM »
Welcome. 
Davis VP2 Plus; 24h  FARS; Extra Temp Humid sensor (2); Extra Temp Station (2);;Weatherlink IP;USB; MAC Ventura 13.3

; https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddablePage/show/8a7585dd06404bde81d5229b09f84ebb/summary