Author Topic: Graph not beginning at Zero  (Read 2431 times)

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
Graph not beginning at Zero
« on: May 03, 2019, 05:19:23 PM »
Anyone an idea why this graph (Snowdepth) is not beginning at 0 ("Zero") as all the other parameters do? Why is it going down to -10 while the other parameters accept 0?

:-[
Reinhard

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Is data okay? (Re: Graph not beginning at Zero)
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2019, 10:47:30 PM »
Dear Reinhard and WeatherCat troubleshooters,

Anyone an idea why this graph (Snowdepth) is not beginning at 0 ("Zero") as all the other parameters do? Why is it going down to -10 while the other parameters accept 0?

Snow isn't anything I know about, so I'll just have to make some guesses.  The first thing I would double-check is that the data is in fact 0.  Is there any chance that your automated snow measuring system is not working properly?

Let us know . . . .

Cheers, Edouard

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Re: Graph not beginning at Zero
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2019, 11:56:49 PM »
My first thought was to check the "minimum" value for the "Scaling" settings. Alas, there aren't scale settings for graphs, only for gauges. [blush] It would be interesting to see what values are being 'seen' by WC. [WCSmall]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2019, 10:00:48 AM »
Thanks for looking into this thread.

The value is from a synthetic channel that is is turned OFF during the summer (no snow...  ;) ). So it should return a Zero, the graph does already show the zero-line, but I do not understand why the graph goes below zero? I am counting on the next version of WeatherCat, maybe there is a "minimum" available also fro graphs.

PS: An idea is to turn the channel ON and force it to return "0" - I will see what the graph will do then.  [computer]
Reinhard

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2019, 09:20:32 PM »
Let us know how that turns out.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Dear Reinhard, Blick, and WeatherCat troubleshooters,

The value is from a synthetic channel that is is turned OFF during the summer (no snow...  ;) ). So it should return a Zero, the graph does already show the zero-line, but I do not understand why the graph goes below zero? I am counting on the next version of WeatherCat, maybe there is a "minimum" available also fro graphs.

That might be your explanation right there.  Disabling a synthetic channel might leave the WeatherCat graphing function in a state of limbo.

PS: An idea is to turn the channel ON and force it to return "0" - I will see what the graph will do then.  [computer]

I would expect this would solve you problem but by all means let us know.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2019, 09:06:14 AM »
Blick, Edouard and all others interested in this "graph-issue",

turned the channel on and forced it to return "0" - ohh yeah, graph is not showing values below zero any more.  ThU32:-) So I do have the wanted flatliner showing zero during the summer.  :)

Update: Spoke too soon - back to the range of +10 to -10  :'(
Reinhard

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Give it a day. (Re: Graph not beginning at Zero)
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2019, 11:09:44 PM »
Dear Reinhard and WeatherCat troubleshooters,

. . . .
Update: Spoke too soon - back to the range of +10 to -10  :'(

Give WeatherCat a day of nothing but zero values.  WeatherCat might be setting the scales consistent with the earlier "data."  It might take a day of perfectly consistent data for WeatherCat to eliminate anything scale below 0.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
Re: Give it a day. (Re: Graph not beginning at Zero)
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2019, 06:31:13 AM »
Give WeatherCat a day of nothing but zero values.

That is exactly the pint, but in the other way: I have two graphs, one for 24 hours, the other for 7 days. As long there is one single value above 0 (for example 0.1 or more) then the graph scales from "0" onwards. But if there is a continuous "0" within 24 hours (respectively within 7 days) it scales betweeen negative 10 to positive 10. The graph does not show wrong, but at least it is not nice to view.  ???
Reinhard

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Time to ask Stu. (Re: Graph not beginning at Zero)
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2019, 11:49:44 PM »
Dear Reinhard and WeatherCat faithful,

That is exactly the pint, but in the other way: I have two graphs, one for 24 hours, the other for 7 days. As long there is one single value above 0 (for example 0.1 or more) then the graph scales from "0" onwards. But if there is a continuous "0" within 24 hours (respectively within 7 days) it scales betweeen negative 10 to positive 10. The graph does not show wrong, but at least it is not nice to view.  ???

Okay, now I understand.  I think this is a matter that you'll have to touch base with Stu when he comes back up for air once more. 

Cheers, Edouard