Author Topic: Importing NetAtmo CSV files  (Read 3856 times)

EphraimGadsby

• Gentle Breeze
  • Station Details: Vantage Vue, Vantage ISS, WeatherLink Datalogger
Importing NetAtmo CSV files
« on: July 17, 2017, 09:04:51 AM »
Hello all,

I have recently started using WeatherCat, after replacing a NetAtmo Weather Station (which broke) with a Davis Vantage Vue.

WeatherCat is absolutely fantastic, has worked flawlessly with my Vantage and has integrated "out the box" with both Wunderground and the Met Office WoW sites.

To get even more out of it, I'd like to import some historical data into WeatherCat's database.
After my NetAtmo broke, I downloaded all my data (2 years worth) as .csv files.
There is one csv file for each component of the weather station, so I have the following three files:

- Raingauge.csv
- OutdoorModule.csv
- IndoorModule.csv[/li][/list]

Is there anyway to import these into the WeatherCat database?

Please bear in mind I have limited IT skills - chopping data around in Excel using cut/copy/paste functions is about as far as I go.
Hopefully, if it's just a case of working with text files in the background before an import I can just about manage it.

Any help/advice would be appreciated, but please do keep it simple (if it's possible!).

Regards,

Ephraim.

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Re: Importing NetAtmo CSV files
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 03:02:37 PM »
First things first!

Welcome AboaRd, Ephraim!

Secondly, I'm just about positive there is a relatively easy, if tedious, solution for your question. But it won't come from me! I have absolutely no experience it doing what you want. Fortunately there are many here who have used both brands and I'm sure some have done exactly what to want. [computer]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

EphraimGadsby

• Gentle Breeze
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 03:58:15 PM »
Splendid,

I'll await some further responses.
I'm quite willing to lose an evening or two to some form of tedious solution.

I'm probably not competent enough to do a slick process involving scripts and programming, and seeing as I only need to do it once, a steady, tedious process that works and I can immediately forget is probably what I need.

So long as I don't have to enter each record manually, that could be too simple, tedious and take too long!

Regards,

Ephraim.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 04:24:37 PM »
Welcome to WC Ephraim. I think you'll find the Davis setup a little more durable than your first station.

Although I have no experience with data imports, when Edouard (one of the Admin's) checks in this afternoon, he will respond to your specific question.
Blick

EphraimGadsby

• Gentle Breeze
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 04:51:00 PM »
Indeed, the netatmo was a brilliant idea, but the reliability just wasn't there in the hardware. A real shame as everything else about it was fantastic.

Having had the Davis up for a week now, it's obviously in a different league in terms of build quality, only this time let down by the limited (manufacturer) software. I have to say that I'm tremendously grateful that a solution like WeatherCat exists. I've only had to send one query to Stu about something I didn't quite understand, and the response and service have been absolutely first rate compared to the standards we come to expect of most companies these days.

A huge thumbs up and many thanks to everyone involved.

Regards,

Ephraim.

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 06:13:04 PM »
I've only had to send one query to Stu ... and the response and service have been absolutely first rate
You've probably figured out, by now, that he actually hosts (pays the service fees) for this forum. I'm sure he reads the new posts daily but usually leaves the answers to user questions to those with more time, after all, he also has a 'day job'! [lol]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
"Roll your own" or wait. (Re: Importing NetAtmo CSV files)
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 10:08:21 PM »
Dear Ephraim, X-Air, Blick, and WeatherCat faithful,

Let me also welcome you to the WeatherCat forum and congratulate you on your choice of a Davis station and WeatherCat software!  [tup]

To get even more out of it, I'd like to import some historical data into WeatherCat's database.
After my NetAtmo broke, I downloaded all my data (2 years worth) as .csv files.
There is one csv file for each component of the weather station, so I have the following three files:

- Raingauge.csv
- OutdoorModule.csv
- IndoorModule.csv[

Is there anyway to import these into the WeatherCat database?

. . . . .

Any help/advice would be appreciated, but please do keep it simple (if it's possible!).

Unfortunately, WeatherCat has never had any means to import data from any other source.  I'm not sure why, but in practice there are comparatively few people in your predicament and worse, there are ever so many different formats used by other weather software.

It is possible to "roll your own" importer.  Someone on this forum did this recently.  You might have a look at that thread:

http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=2486.0

However, you will see that the user in that case was a skilled programmer.  Still might take a look at perhaps building WeatherCat data files using a spreadsheet and then exporting it as a suitably formatted text file since WeatherCat data is just a text file.

If that seems like more than you are willing to take on, you might follow the strategy of some of the other users who discovered that a Weather Display data importer was being developed.  So long as you have your data in a safe place, you might just be patient and hope someone else comes along and writes an importer for you!

Sorry, that's the best import advice I can give you at the moment.

Cheers, Edouard

EphraimGadsby

• Gentle Breeze
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2017, 10:32:57 PM »
All,

Thank you for your time and expedient responses.

It's no problem. If it's not simple to import then I can leave it be.

Whilst it would have been desirable to have all my data in one place, I still have the previous observations, they haven't gone anywhere. I'll just need to remember to factor them in to any statistics or year on year comparisons I make.

Seasonal rainfall is my main concern, and that's not a huge amount of data to look at outside WeatherCat, so I'm sure I'll live.

On a completely unrelated note, 2 days evaluation period left! I must remember to register WeatherCat tomorrow. There's no going back now, this software is a godsend.

Thanks again,

Ephraim.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Daily rain editor? (Re: Importing NetAtmo CSV files)
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2017, 11:40:13 PM »
Dear Ephraim and WeatherCat problem solvers,

Thank you for your time and expedient responses.

It's no problem. If it's not simple to import then I can leave it be.

As I noted, perhaps eventually you'll be able to import this data.  As long as you make sure not to lose it, perhaps someone else will eventually do "the heavy lifting."

Seasonal rainfall is my main concern, and that's not a huge amount of data to look at outside WeatherCat, so I'm sure I'll live.

Well, WeatherCat does have a daily rain editor.  It is off the Tools menu.  I don't know if WeatherCat will allow you to edit days for which it doesn't have any other data, but it might.  It would be tedious but you could make a point of adding the total rainfall for a few days at a time until you get it all incorporated.  That way you would have the rainfall data in one place.

On a completely unrelated note, 2 days evaluation period left! I must remember to register WeatherCat tomorrow. There's no going back now, this software is a godsend.

Yes indeed, you'd better find the time to get a registration code!  Certainly nobody on this forum will disagree with your assessment of WeatherCat!  :)

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]