Author Topic: WEATHER JOURNAL - for everyone  (Read 2339 times)

jachym

• Strong Breeze
    • Meteotemplate
  • Station Details: WH1080
WEATHER JOURNAL - for everyone
« on: December 18, 2016, 04:43:57 PM »
Hi guys,

last year I released a new version of my template as sort of a Christmas present for all Meteotemplate users.

This year I decided there will be no Christmas present for Meteotemplate users. Why? Because this year there will be a Christmas present from me for everyone.

It is also almost the end of the year and so it was just in time that I finally, after years of trying (not exaggarating) managed to make the function, which allows to create nice PDF files, working.

So what exactly is this?

This absolutely unique script will let you create your Weather Journal. You can set the title, the view (one or two pages/week), the language (over 20 available), you also specify your co-ordinates and timezone and the journal will include sunrise, sunset and day length as well as automatically add information about Moon phases, lunar and solar eclipses and season changes (based on hemisphere deduced from latitude). You also specify which parameters you want to track and there will be icons for various weather conditions so you can simply circle the ones that apply.

And what is more, you can either create a standard A4 PDF file, or you can select the "booklet" option, in which case you will get a file that will have the pages in A5 format and the pages will be shuffled - however, once you print it landscape and fold in half, it will suddenly all be in the right order and create a very nice A5 booklet. I intentionally did not use any fancy colors so that this can be printed without using too much ink.

Please note: The script is very complicated and creating PDF files takes some time and my server is not very fast, so please be patient when waiting for the diary to be created.

I also included a little field for feedback as this obviously can be improved or extended, we still have 10 days until the New Year!

You will find the setup page in the Extras section at meteotemplate.com in the menu on the left:

http://www.meteotemplate.com/web/extras.php

ENJOY!

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Thanks for the present! (Re: WEATHER JOURNAL - for everyone)
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2016, 12:14:08 AM »
Dear Jachym and WeatherCat "Santas" . . . .

This year I decided there will be no Christmas present for Meteotemplate users. Why? Because this year there will be a Christmas present from me for everyone. This absolutely unique script will let you create your Weather Journal.

Well golly that is very nice indeed!  :)  I do try to have a Christmas card for the WeatherCat community, but that's as far as I go!

I also included a little field for feedback as this obviously can be improved or extended, we still have 10 days until the New Year!

I did notice one thing but it would have been difficult to point out with the feedback field.  The latitude and longitude fields insist on receiving integers only.  That does seem a bit crude, but perhaps good enough for your calculations.  If so then perhaps your example text should not include decimals.  Here is a screenshot of the fields in question:

Thanks again for being so generous with your creations!  ThU5:-)

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

jachym

• Strong Breeze
    • Meteotemplate
Re: WEATHER JOURNAL - for everyone
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2016, 12:24:54 AM »
Hi Edouard,
thanks. Yes you are right, it is not very clear, this however is unfortunately how the browsers handle number input fields. However, you can simply click with your cursor and use your keyboard to enter whatever value, including decimals, it just wont let you enter anything outside the sensible range. The arrows add/subtract by integers, but the field will accept decimals

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2016, 03:57:37 PM »
It may be more code intensive, but perhaps you should just accept text input and then parse it to a numeric value. That way you can control the max/min/acceptable values as well as discard irregular values. That's the main reason I created my own journal; WC insists on displaying "am/pm" in upper-case and a few other values I wanted to include (source of input, etc.). I would have sworn that html allowed setting min/max, only to discover that the 'max' parameter is an html 5 improvement and (as usual) IE doesn't even allow it!

I know javascript can do the the checking although I'd much prefer PHP, since many folk disable js whenever possible. [rolleyes2]
<stackoverflow>
<w3schools>
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

jachym

• Strong Breeze
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2016, 04:37:04 PM »
Hi,
yes you are right, I changed it, it is now checked in the PHP before the diary is created.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2016, 02:14:19 AM »
Thanks very much. I will give this a try.
Blick

jachym

• Strong Breeze
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2016, 02:17:15 AM »
Thanks, I hope you find it useful

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2016, 02:42:41 AM »
Nice! I'll generate a year's end summary and post it for my viewers. Thank Jachym!
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2016, 02:46:35 PM »
Just tested it and produced a summary for 2015 but there are absolutely no data in there. So far how I understand till now I can printout the journal and add data and values manually with a pen?
I am afraid I do not look behind the sense of this Journal, can you help me out a bit?  :-[
Reinhard

jachym

• Strong Breeze
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2016, 04:57:46 PM »
Just tested it and produced a summary for 2015 but there are absolutely no data in there. So far how I understand till now I can printout the journal and add data and values manually with a pen?
I am afraid I do not look behind the sense of this Journal, can you help me out a bit?  :-[

Hi,
yes that was exacctly the point, I mean Im not quite sure what data you expected, it is generated all on my site, it is not connected to any database, I dont have connection to your database :-) There is already a plugin in my template which does have the data as well, this one was sort of for those who prefer the old way so that they can easily track it during the upcoming yr

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2016, 05:26:18 PM »
Ok, thanks for your explanation - much appreciated!  [tup]

My one-way thoughts might have chosen the direction to your Diary plugin (they aren't printable, are they?).

PS: Adding the week number somewhere within the new journal, possible?
Reinhard

jachym

• Strong Breeze
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2016, 05:27:22 PM »
Yes, Im relatively busy now so I will look at this sometime after this weekend