Author Topic: CoCoRaHS citizen science weather project  (Read 2627 times)

bcurry

• Strong Breeze
    • CWOP EW 1820
    • INOVASCO73
    • Coastal Port Maitland, Nova Scotia, Canada
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2 on Mac Studio running Ventura (Mac OS 13) and WeatherCat 3
CoCoRaHS citizen science weather project
« on: December 06, 2016, 02:56:15 PM »
Hi all,
I did a little explanation on my blog about my participation in the CoCoRaHS weather project.
Great fun!

http://www.billcurry.ca/a-little-weather-project/

Bill

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: CoCoRaHS citizen science weather project
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 05:23:16 PM »
Nice writeup Bill. I too am a CoCoRaHS volunteer. I use two cylinders on snow days. I take the new one out and replace the one that is full. Then I bring the full one inside and let it thaw out and melt in my boiler room. About an hour later I measure the melted water content. I much prefer this method to my old approach of measuring hot water and then pouring it into the cylinder.

It would be interesting to know how many WeatherCatters also report precipitation to CoCoRaHS.
Blick

Felix

• Gale
  • Station Details: Davis VP-2 Plus, FARS, WeatherLink IP. Sharx cams.
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2016, 10:31:42 PM »
Count me in Blick. I've been sending 'em daily data for years.

You gonna donate $10k to the December fund drive and get a personal visit from Nolan Doesken?   [tup]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2016, 11:56:18 PM »
You gonna donate $10k to the December fund drive and get a personal visit from Nolan Doesken?   [tup]

No, I donated $5 and had dinner with Steve, which was just as fun and whole lot less expensive, especially considering Steve paid for it.
Blick

bcurry

• Strong Breeze
    • CWOP EW 1820
    • INOVASCO73
    • Coastal Port Maitland, Nova Scotia, Canada
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2 on Mac Studio running Ventura (Mac OS 13) and WeatherCat 3
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 11:30:17 AM »
Nice writeup Bill. I too am a CoCoRaHS volunteer. I use two cylinders on snow days. I take the new one out and replace the one that is full. Then I bring the full one inside and let it thaw out and melt in my boiler room. About an hour later I measure the melted water content. I much prefer this method to my old approach of measuring hot water and then pouring it into the cylinder.

It would be interesting to know how many WeatherCatters also report precipitation to CoCoRaHS.

Hi all-
That's a good idea about the two tube swap system. I use the measure and melt a lot, but normally we only get an inch or two of snow at any one time. I'll have to remember the two tube deal when we get larger amounts.
Nice to see that other WaetherCats are also CoCoRaHS volunteers!

Thanks,
Bill

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2016, 07:10:26 PM »

No, I donated $5 and had dinner with Steve, which was just as fun and whole lot less expensive, especially considering Steve paid for it.

[tup] And I see that you went from a 4Runner to a Subaru, while I did just the opposite.

I've been collecting data for CoCoRaHS since 2011, but didn't do the snow collecting for last year. I've gotten lazy. Plus, I went to Florida for a month. :)
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
You were on duty in Florida - weren't you? (Re: CoCoRaHS)
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2016, 11:51:16 PM »
Dear Steve and WeatherCat responsible weather data collectors,

I've been collecting data for CoCoRaHS since 2011, but didn't do the snow collecting for last year. I've gotten lazy. Plus, I went to Florida for a month. :)

[wink] . . . . Oh I don't know about you being lazy.  I'm sure you would have reported every snowflake  [snowflake] you spotted while you were in Florida - wouldn't you?  lol(1)

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 12:28:54 AM by Steve »