Author Topic: NWS Weather & Hazard Data Viewer  (Read 2752 times)

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
NWS Weather & Hazard Data Viewer
« on: August 28, 2016, 09:58:22 PM »
Don't see anything in the archives about this specific site: http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/map

I'm trying to figure out how to get it to open a page with my own location centered in the maop. I saw this site first at a totally un-weather related post on a forum. It had the following url:http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/map/
and the following info at the end of it
&zoom=9&scroll_zoom=true%A2er=44.549377532663684,-124.024658203125&basemap=OpenStreetMap&boundaries=true,false&obs=true&obs_type=weather&elements=temp,wind,gust&obs_popup=false&obs_density=3

My first thought was to simply change the Lat/Long values to my own location. Even though that data was included in the url, it did now open a page any differently than before. The default seems to be "mesowest", so that's the preferred/historical part of the country.

BTW, if you are sending data to CWOP, chances are your PWS will be on this map. [tup] Of course, it won't have any 'gold medallion'... [lol]

It is relatively easy to scroll and zoom to practically any spot you want. But it would be much better to have the data in the url to be recognized and used. [banghead]

Anyone figured out how to use this map as I'd like to?
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Interesting (Re: NWS Weather & Hazard Data Viewer)
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 11:08:02 PM »
Dear X-Air and WeatherCat infomaniacs . . . .

Don't see anything in the archives about this specific site: http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/map

Thanks for the link, I wasn't aware of the site.

I'm trying to figure out how to get it to open a page with my own location centered in the map.

There is a button at the top called Permalink.  I used that and then was able to change the parameters to lock into my location.  Here is my example:

Code: [Select]
http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/map/?&zoom=7&scroll_zoom=true&center=37.851111,-122.155&basemap=ESRI Topographic&boundaries=false,false,false&hazard=true&hazard_type=hi-all&hazard_opacity=60
If you put your own lat/long into that URL it should work.

Cheers, Edouard

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Re: NWS Weather & Hazard Data Viewer
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 01:04:31 AM »
All I did was copy the link into TextEdit and insert my Lat/long numbers. Saved that and then pasted it into a new tab in Safari. Didn't work.

Is a "permalink" stored in a Safrari bookmarks? I've never used bookmarks in any browser. Especially when I used lots of browsers. I'll take a look, but I don't understand the difference between a text presentation of a URL and a "bookmark".
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 05:45:07 PM by xairbusdriver »

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 04:15:39 PM »
Xair,

It probably works for Edouard, but not for you, because it is for the Western Region Headquarters of NOAA. (wrh in the link)

You're in the Central Region Headquarters, which is at http://www.weather.gov/crh/
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2016, 05:36:12 PM »
Actually, I'm south of that. But, as you can see, the displays are completely different. Mesowest may have been designed to default to the 'west', but it actually covers the entire US. In fact, it American Samoa, Quebec, Alberta and Puerto Rico.

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2016, 09:00:34 PM »
You have proven it can be done. Now I'll have to try it again, and probably in another browser and certainly after dumping caches in Safari.

Once again, I don't understand what is different about a "permalink" except that it should, usually, be to a url that doesn't change. In other words, "permanent".

The only difference between your two links I see is that you omitted "&obs=true&obs_type=weather&elements=temp,wind,gust&obs_popup=true&obs_density=1" in the "permalink". The base url is exactly the same, all we're changing is the "GET" data for their server. [banghead] Giving it less seems to work almost as well, but one has to click the "Surface Weather Observations" box to see any data. Makes sense, since the "permalink" leaves out the "&obs_type" (weather) and the "&elements" (temp,wind,gust).

BTW, the thing that is somewhat difficult to see, literally, is the data table. The "Table data available below" is not a link. [rolleyes2] It is simply telling the viewer to scroll down the page... where the data table is displayed. If you are observent, you will notice the scroll bar thumb (which I have set to always display) will suddenly become shortened. That's the "GUI" clue that the page is now much, much taller than before. In my perfect world, that text would be a link. [banghead]

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2016, 09:30:14 PM »
OK, I think I've found the solution. Both your links have the following:
"&basemap=ESRI"
In my original edit/attempts, I had used:
"&basemap=OpenStreetMap"

Thanks for forcing me to look at what works! [tup] [lol] [cheer] I may add this link to my site, even though it displays the Lat/Long in plain text. I think the WU and CWOP sites have that info, anyway...

According to Wikipedia: "Environmental Systems Research Institute is an international supplier of geographic information system (GIS) software, web GIS and geodatabase management applications."