Author Topic: Sierra and Serial to USB broken  (Read 3973 times)

Chet

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW1987
    • IBADENWU20
  • Station Details: Davis Vue, iMac OS X, Catalina
Sierra and Serial to USB broken
« on: October 06, 2016, 11:01:34 PM »
I installed Sierra and the August 2016 version of Silicon labs drivers. Weathercat is having troubles connecting to my Vantage Vue. It is connecting for a few minutes then saying it is having trouble. Can I use another serial to USB driver? If so, which one and where can I get it? Weathercat is virtually useless at this point. [rainyluck] Any help would be great!
Chet
Castle Rock Colorado

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Some advice here (Re: Sierra and Serial to USB broken)
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2016, 11:32:44 PM »
Dear Chet and WeatherCat eager beavers, . . .

I installed Sierra and the August 2016 version of Silicon labs drivers. Weathercat is having troubles connecting to my Vantage Vue. It is connecting for a few minutes then saying it is having trouble. Can I use another serial to USB driver? If so, which one and where can I get it? Weathercat is virtually useless at this point. [rainyluck] Any help would be great!

Unfortunately, it is best to consult the forum before doing something as major as an OS update.  There is thread where people who tried to update have shared their experiences:

http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=2209.0

Stu strongly recommended against upgrading to Sierra until at least the first bug fix release comes out.  However, people have had luck getting WeatherCat to run on Sierra after they adjusted Sierra's energy saver settings.

Cheers, Edouard

Chet

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW1987
    • IBADENWU20
  • Station Details: Davis Vue, iMac OS X, Catalina
Re: Sierra and Serial to USB broken
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2016, 11:00:26 AM »
I changed the sleep setting to never and Weathercat is staying connected to Vantage Vue data logger.
Chet
Castle Rock Colorado

Felix

• Gale
  • Station Details: Davis VP-2 Plus, FARS, WeatherLink IP. Sharx cams.
Re: Some advice here (Re: Sierra and Serial to USB broken)
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2016, 11:45:54 AM »
<SNIP> However, people have had luck getting WeatherCat to run on Sierra after they adjusted Sierra's energy saver settings.

Bob2k2 explained what he is using in the following thread:

http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=2209.15

"I unchecked both "Put Hard Disks To Sleep When Possible" And "Prevent Computer From Sleeping...." and the crashes seem to have gone away."

I'm set up slightly different (but then I'm using WeatherLink IP):

System Preferences, Energy Saver tab: Turn display off "Never," Check the box "Prevent the computer from sleeping automatically when the display is off," Uncheck the box "Put hard disks to sleep when possible," Check the next three boxes.

Under the System Preferences, Desktop & Screen Saver tab, I have a "Hot Corner" set up to "Put Display to Sleep" so I'm not running the display continuously.

Nothing in the Development section of the forum from Stu which should preclude most folks from considering macOS Sierra other than the expected USB to serial problems. Of course, that's a biggie, if it doesn't work on your particular set-up, WeatherCat's down unless you wind the clock back. And at this point, the trigger hasn't been found yet...works for some, not for others.