Author Topic: iOS Client-Server Connection  (Read 26626 times)

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
Re: iOS Client-Server Connection
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2014, 08:50:13 AM »
Hi Alex,
You'll need to confirm you've got the ports open and they are forwarded to the machine running WeatherCat. You can check the ports are open pretty easily with somewhere like GRC (https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2) - enter 49250-49260 into the box there and select 'User Specified Custom Port Probe'.

AlexinDC

• Calm
  • Hey, I just work for the Augie!
    • KVAARLIN23
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 (since 2004!): MacBook Air OSX High Sierra 10.3.2; WeatherLink
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2014, 03:54:20 PM »
Hi, WCDev,

Thanks for jumping in.  I was hoping one of the mods would jump in.   I checked my ports on GRC (great site!) and they "failed" and are in stealth mode, which I think in this context is a good thing because they responded to the ping. I am learning SOOOOOOOOO many new things about the internet this week.

What's next?

Thanks, Alex

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2014, 10:07:42 AM »
That's good news and bad news.

The good news is that's why it isn't working.

The bad news is we have no information on forwarding ports on your router - we have a few on the wiki ( http://wiki.trixology.com/index.php/Port_Forwarding ) but I don't see anything for yours. Maybe someone on here as the same router; if not, there should be something out on the internet.

AlexinDC

• Calm
    • KVAARLIN23
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 (since 2004!): MacBook Air OSX High Sierra 10.3.2; WeatherLink
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2014, 10:36:51 PM »
Thanks for your reply.  I have done some further research and will provide details in case someone can help, but I did not succeed.  Here's more info.

1.  The Verizon FIOS router/gateway model is an Actiontec MI424WR, Rev. F.

2.  In addition to port forwarding, I tried putting my MBA's IP address into the router's DMZ.  No love.

3.  I also confirmed that my MBA's firewall was disarmed. No love there, either.  By that I mean, even with the IP address in the DMZ and the firewall on my MBA down, the relevant ports are still showing as stealth.  Which suggests to me that the issue is with

I sure hope someone knows what to do.

Alex

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2014, 01:05:15 PM »
Sorry this isn't working for you. I don't have the same router and am running Mountain Lion. For me, although I have forwarded the same ports as you, only port 49250 shows as Open, 51-54 are Stealth and 55-60 are closed. I have no idea what this means, but I have full WeatherCat functionality with only 49250 open.
Blick

AlexinDC

• Calm
    • KVAARLIN23
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2014, 02:38:21 PM »
Blic,

Thanks for posting.  Actually, I finally go things working a couple of days ago. 

After a bunch of internet research, I learned that the Verizon/Actiontec router frequently needs to be rebooted in order for the port forwarding instructions to become effective.  It is a bug and no one seems to know why this is sometimes necessary.

In my case, when I rebooted the router completely froze and I had to do a factory reset as well.  Then I had to add the port forwarding instructions again, port by port (and not as a range).  It worked.

Coincidentally, I ended up with the same port situation you have.  Only port 49250 shows as open, but that is sufficient.  Hopefully, this information will help others with the same gateway/router.

Best, Alex

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2014, 02:44:46 PM »
Hooray! Glad you got it up and running.

Thanks for confirming the port status info. As you say, that may help Stu now that it appears more than one of us has the same status.
Blick

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
Apple Airport Time Capsule port forwarding
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2014, 06:46:10 PM »
I added a page to the wiki for setting up port forwarding on the Apple Airport Time Capsule 802.11ac.

http://wiki.trixology.com/index.php/Port_Forwarding
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Thanks! (Re: Apple Airport Time Capsule port forwarding)
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2014, 07:57:55 PM »
Dear Blick and WeatherCat system tinkers

I added a page to the wiki for setting up port forwarding on the Apple Airport Time Capsule 802.11ac.

I have it a quick once-over, looks good to me!  [tup]

Thanks!

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
Re: Apple Airport Time Capsule port forwarding
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2014, 06:29:37 PM »
Yep, nice work  [tup]

rcnz

• Gentle Breeze
    • IAUCKLAN159
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Vue Pro2, iMac (OS X 10.11.2)
WeatherCat app cannot see "Local"
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2014, 04:21:37 PM »
Hi.

WC has been working perfectly on my new iMac for three weeks.

The Mac runs 24/7, so continuous feed to Wunderground.

Yesterday, the iOS WC App stopped showing data, with the attached screen view; no recent changes to the network.

Latest Mavericks/iOS 7; fault on iPhone and iPad.

Any advice most welcome!

Thanks,

Robin..

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
Re: WeatherCat app cannot see "Local"
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2014, 07:27:36 PM »
Robin:

There are a couple of things you can try, including checking the forum topics posted for the iOS app (where your original post should have been made) :) :

http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?board=10.0

• Kill the app and restart
  • Click on settings icon and change the Network setting from Local to Internet to make sure the remote configuration is still working
  • If the Internet setting is not working, check to make sure the port forwarding settings on your router are still accurate
  • If the Internet setting is working, change the Network back to Local

Sometimes my iOS app stops connecting and going though the above steps has always reconnected me.
Blick

The Grand Poohbah

• Gale
  • Developer of WeatherCat for iOS, tvOS, and watchOS
    • EW6355 KCANEVAD43
    • Hopeful Hill Ranch
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2, aspirated, solar radiation, uv, soil temp and moisture
Re: WeatherCat app cannot see "Local"
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2014, 07:29:30 PM »
Robin,

While in WeatherCat (iPhone) go to the settings and return. This always causes the iPhone WeatherCat to reset the connection. If you don't get a connection after doing that, try again later. If you never get a connection, then kill the WeatherCat app in the background* and start it again. If that doesn't help, then it may have something to do with Mavericks (OS X 10.9.x) on your server. Unfortunately, my server is an older MacBook that cannot run 10.9.x so I have no way to verify that Mavericks is the problem.

*To kill an app in the background, double-click the Home button. Drag the app image up until it disappears.

The Grand Poohbah

• Gale
  • Developer of WeatherCat for iOS, tvOS, and watchOS
    • EW6355 KCANEVAD43
    • Hopeful Hill Ranch
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2, aspirated, solar radiation, uv, soil temp and moisture
Re: Apple Airport Time Capsule port forwarding
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2014, 07:30:40 PM »
Thanks for your contribution to our port-forwarding knowledge base.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
WeatherCat app okay on Mavericks (Re: WeatherCat app cannot see "Local")
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2014, 09:00:11 PM »
Dear Robin, Blick, Grand Poohbah, and WeatherCat iOS device fans,

A few additional hints perhaps.

*To kill an app in the background, double-click the Home button. Drag the app image up until it disappears.

Just to be clear, those are the instructions for iOS 7.  The procedure for causing applications to quit was different on iOS 6.

If that doesn't help, then it may have something to do with Mavericks (OS X 10.9.x) on your server. Unfortunately, my server is an older MacBook that cannot run 10.9.x so I have no way to verify that Mavericks is the problem.

I recently upgraded to Mavericks and just ran a test.  The WeatherCat iOS app works just fine on my iPhone 4S and my MacBook Pro running 10.9.2.

One other bit of advice to consider.  If your iOS device is giving you trouble, it might be a good idea to restart it.  In this house we have decided to restart all devices: Mac and iOS once a month.  iPhones and iPads are suffering from some really poor quality software these days.  Sometimes only restarting do.  To restart an iPhone or iPad:

• Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button on the top of your device until the red slider appears. Then drag the slider to turn your device completely off.
  • After the device turns off, press and hold the Sleep/Wake button again until you see the Apple logo.

It is unfortunate to have to go to such extremes but . . . such are the conditions that prevail!

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]