Author Topic: Question about Mac anti-virus on MacWeather.  (Read 2440 times)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Question about Mac anti-virus on MacWeather.
« on: April 20, 2012, 09:47:57 PM »
Dear WeatherCat fans,

MacUpdate has a promo today on VirusBarrier.  You can read more about VirusBarrier on the Intego website.  After the latest Java "surprise" I'm getting a little more worried about such things and am wondering if this is now a worthwhile investment.

I've started up a topic on MacWeather.net asking for your opinions on such things: http://www.macweather.net/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=576.  If any of you who haven't been on MacWeather in a while have some thoughts - sure would appreciate if you could share them!!

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Tornado Tim

• Strong Breeze
    • Matangi Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 with Solar and WLIP Datalogger (via VVP)
Re: Question about Mac anti-virus on MacWeather.
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 01:04:49 AM »
The best way of protecting your mac is using the "principle of least privilege".

I find there is no point in having a Mac anti-virus, if you use a standard account for your daily computer activitys and use an administrator account for installing things on.

On a mac if you dont hold enough privileges on the standard account you can use admin credentials(if you have them of course) to still do stuff you want while minimizing the amount of harm a malicious app can do on a standard account.

With the upcoming Mountain Lion it will be even harder for these malicious apps to do anything at all without getting a legit software developer ID.